• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Looks like it's just sanding/grinding marks from deburring the casting flash from the part. Different workers in the casting foundries will give different results in that regard. Some will treat it with care and finesse, others will be ham-fisted morons that will grind half the casting away to remove a 1/16" burr. I'd say it's perfectly normal.

We went camping this weekend. Got a little antsy with nothing to do so we went out looking for some trails to ride. Found one old pig-trail that I'd rate about a 1.5-2.0 and we rocked it in my wife's bone-stock '97 ZJ. It wasn't extreme by any measure, but I wouldn't have attempted it in a 2wd. It's always good to get back to the roots of it by doing unexplored trails in a stock vehicle. Reminds me why I love off-roading so much.

Went out to the Jeep yesterday to drive it around some, and it wouldn't crank. Two week old battery was completely dead, and it put up a good fight taking a jump. Guess i've got a drain on the system.

Told myself that i'd start with the basics on the Jeep today, but wound up watching football all day instead. Couldn't find the motivation to work on anything. Highlight of the weekend was going to my friends wedding last night.

Sometimes a lazy weekend is a must.....

Put ole red Jeep back together so I can sell it.

20130915_132328_zps0f6d00e4.jpg

Ignore the gaped up bumper.

Also, I cut the grass... what a chore.

I took my doors off, and modded the hinges to a drop in style like a 96- XJ/Wrangler, got the doors to open and close better than they did when I bought the Jeep!

Passenger hinges
IMG_0805.jpg
IMG_0806.jpg

Now that mother nature turned the taps off after flooding us all summer, everything's turned brown and died. Went from mowing two times a week to one time every two weeks.

And you are complaining why?

And again, I'd say perfectly normal. I've seen dozens upon dozens of carriers and they all have varying amounts of grind marks. No need to overthink it; if there's nothing loose inside to grind it, then there's no problem to be concerned with. For the most part, the only time to worry is when pinion bearings or crush sleeves find an early demise and the pinion gets into the carrier, but there's a definite "pattern" to that (most of the time all the way around the carrier right next to the ring gear), and you'll definitely know it when you see it.

Well that hasn't happened. Guess the pinion preload must be off the charts.

You should have 6-8 INCH POUNDS of pinion pre-load on a used 8.25 pinion. You need to check this with the carrier removed and with a "beam style" inch pound torque wrench spinning the pinion by the pinion nut

My comments concerned only the grind marks on the carrier. That being said, I must have missed the back story on why the diff cover is off. Were you hearing abnormal noises? Grinding? Roaring? I will admit that with 200,000+ miles the bearings are probably on the well used side, but as long as they make no noises, were never run dry or submersed in water and left to sit I'd run it unless I were doing a R&P swap. Also, lets see an up close pic of the ring and pinion gears to see what you're talking about with them being beat up.

Ah the red one hauled to the scrap yard. I remember seeing that post now. Are the plans to completely rebuild it anyway, regardless of condition (ei: ratio change, full case locker, or both)?

Back