• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

I did absolutely nothing but sit in a chair and stare at the lake.

2012-10-19_19-01-24_59.jpg

Replaced the front brakes on the XJ and rebuilt the Holley. Found a problem I am gonna have to find a solution for. The lower bolt that holds the drivers side caliper on stripped the treads out of the spindle. Not sure how to fix that without replacing the spindle or maybe drilling it out and re tapping the hole? But that would mean a larger bolt and I doubt it would go through the caliper. Suggestions? Not sure if I can get a longer bolt and put a nut on the backside? The bolt isn't gonna fall out (I don't think under normal driving), but it ain't making me feel good.
Oh, and I don't know why I replaced the brakes, nothing was wrong with them.
1020121112.jpg

Replaced the front brakes on the XJ and rebuilt the Holley. Found a problem I am gonna have to find a solution for. The lower bolt that holds the drivers side caliper on stripped the treads out of the spindle. Not sure how to fix that without replacing the spindle or maybe drilling it out and re tapping the hole? But that would mean a larger bolt and I doubt it would go through the caliper. Suggestions? Not sure if I can get a longer bolt and put a nut on the backside? The bolt isn't gonna fall out (I don't think under normal driving), but it ain't making me feel good.
Oh, and I don't know why I replaced the brakes, nothing was wrong with them.
1020121112.jpg

That is an easy fix takes about 15 mins with a thread repair kit from Autozone or the like, I got mine at autozone. The kit comes with everything except the proper size drill bit. You drill out the hole a little larger and tap it with the tap in the kit, then it comes with a new set of threads that then screwed into the hole which then make it the correct size for the original bolt size. Been holding my caliper on for a year and a half now with no issues!

That is an easy fix takes about 15 mins with a thread repair kit from Autozone or the like, I got mine at autozone. The kit comes with everything except the proper size drill bit. You drill out the hole a little larger and tap it with the tap in the kit, then it comes with a new set of threads that then screwed into the hole which then make it the correct size for the original bolt size. Been holding my caliper on for a year and a half now with no issues!
I'll look into that. Sounds easy enough. One other question. How long does it take for ceramic brakes to stop smelling funny? Man they stink.

Welded on the rocker replacement this weekend, tended to sick child some, went to a celebration for a local business that had 10 bands and food and beer on Saturday, blew up the high pressure gauge on my regulator on Sunday. Today I catch my self looking at 3" lift kits for the 97 I wheeled at URE at the Jamboree.

Motor should be clocked so the power cable connections are under the shield that covers the solenoids.

Do I win a rear bumper with a swing-away tire carrier?????

Last edited:
Winch is right side up (they offer all parts for the winch, including a brake rebuild kit, and lower seal kit)

Motor is clocked correctly. Sorry Ed!

-Stump

Ill give someone 3 cookies if they can tell me whats wrong with the winch in this picture... (no, its not the missing mounting bolt)

IMG_20121022_114218.jpg

No fairlead and it's not hooked up to the battery

Did you clear coat the R&P? looks shiny!

Im sure Latney will rectify the cable thing soon...

If you look hard, you can see the ratcheting/freewheeling brake doohickey is backwards. It makes quite an impressive noise when you hit the switch! Swapped it around, and all is well.

~ Stump

Did you clear coat the R&P? looks shiny!

Im sure Latney will rectify the cable thing soon...

If you look hard, you can see the ratcheting/freewheeling brake doohickey is backwards. It makes quite an impressive noise when you hit the switch! Swapped it around, and all is well.

~ Stump

i was going to guess that...i bet it sounded beautiful

no clear coat....but the pinion did a good job of polishing the broken spot in the ring on the 30 minute drive home at 65mph

If you look hard, you can see the ratcheting/freewheeling brake doohickey is backwards.

~ Stump

I was going to say that!

Let's see, I repaired one of the cracks in my 'frame-rail' (stop-drilled, cleaned, beveled, then welded the crack and welded on a small piece of 18ga for reinforcement; the other crack is behind the gas tank that I didn't feel like dropping), installed a set of prothane coil inserts in the front coils and figured out a way to use the leftover pieces from where I trimmed down the inserts for the front to use as bumpstops in the rear. I also ziptied the rear fender flares back on since the factory bracket things were completely ineffectual in holding the flares on. No pictures since I've been running around like crazy trying to pack all my crap in between work sessions on the jeep trying to get in up to speed to make another run up the Alaska Highway. I'll try to get some in the next day or two before I hit the road. The only thing left on the list for the ol' XJ is wheel spacers for the rear so I can run snowchains when we hit the Rockies in BC.

let us know how you like that prothane stuff...i need cheap progressive bumpage for her rig, and im not ready to eat a set of air bumps yet

Finally got out of the office a bit and got to go play on the products we make at work....

425744_10100556336674007_555836655_n.jpg

These are each rated for 115kV, 1200A.

Back