• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Replaced 4 bad of the 5 possible seals causing oil leaks, valve cover, fms, rms, and oil pan. Now it's nice to look under there and not see oil dripping from everything.

dave92cherokee said:
Replaced 4 bad of the 5 possible seals causing oil leaks, valve cover, fms, rms, and oil pan. Now it's nice to look under there and not see oil dripping from everything.

I need to do that also! The only sad thing is my engine only has @18,000 miles since being rebuilt but all but 3,200 of that has been in the last year and it was rebuilt 4 1/2 years ago. I also need to service my tranny because it was built at the same time and has only had power flushes done so its time for a new filter.

The hardest seal to get was the front main seal. For anyone that's going to be doing that one I recommend getting the timing cover gasket as well. That way you can just pull the cover off and make it ALOT easier to get the seal out and back in.

question... if you're gonna be doing the rear main seal, would it be a good idea to do the front one too? or is it one of those, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" sorta things...?
...cause i'll be doing mine soon

To do the front main you don't need to pull the oil pan like you do for the rear main. So if the front's not leaking then I wouldn't mess with it until it does start to leak. The part numbers I used from auto zone are OS34308R for the 1 piece oil pan gasket, BS40612 for the rear main seal, VS50522T for the valve cover gasket (permadry not cork). Autozone didn't have the front main I needed without buying the timing cover gasket and sleeve but O'reilly's did have just the front main seal 321460.

Installed a homemade snorkel from 3" PVC then decided i wanted to test it out. I drove out to corbett wma and tried one of the flooded trails. Jeep was doing fine until i took on too much water and sank it. Destroyed the starter with too much water. While towing it home a wheel fell off and had to look for in the dark, no luck with that. went back next day and it was still there only about 3 feet from where i was looking. jeep should be up and running again by end of tonight. my idea to keep the jeep from sinking is to install some bilge pumps, should work pretty good.
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb206/jbjustin/l_a5f53dcde668044ed0f2aff1fe316e30.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb206/jbjustin/l_b4ae0dbf77846e57a86d1b63884cb5b8.jpg

jbjustin33415 said:
Installed a homemade snorkel from 3" PVC then decided i wanted to test it out. I drove out to corbett wma and tried one of the flooded trails. Jeep was doing fine until i took on too much water and sank it. Destroyed the starter with too much water. While towing it home a wheel fell off and had to look for in the dark, no luck with that. went back next day and it was still there only about 3 feet from where i was looking. jeep should be up and running again by end of tonight. my idea to keep the jeep from sinking is to install some bilge pumps, should work pretty good.
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb206/jbjustin/l_a5f53dcde668044ed0f2aff1fe316e30.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb206/jbjustin/l_b4ae0dbf77846e57a86d1b63884cb5b8.jpg
Those pictures are about par for what I have seen in Florida.
7.jpg

Except all the trucks look so small. Where are the big boys?

mcraindog said:
I don't know where the big boys are, but I think the big girls are obvious!
:roflmao: :laugh2: :roflmao: :laugh2: :roflmao: :laugh2: :roflmao: :laugh2: !

wow... hope i never have see my XJ in this much water!

l_a5f53dcde668044ed0f2aff1fe316e30.jpg

l_b4ae0dbf77846e57a86d1b63884cb5b8.jpg

...sure hope that's not your DD :)

MELKORsXJ said:
wow... hope i never have see my XJ in this much water!

l_a5f53dcde668044ed0f2aff1fe316e30.jpg

l_b4ae0dbf77846e57a86d1b63884cb5b8.jpg

...sure hope that's not your DD :)

In FL. that is not uncommon and not really a problem till you stop!

just noticed the pillow... that's pretty funny :)

rear ds u-joint at the pinion yoke. noticed some vibrations throughout my speed range. it was coming from the rear, so im swapping out the joint. only one spare spicer joint left.

Went wheeling @ mountainside & had a blast...

Alright guys another weekend is pretty much over so what did ya get done?

I managed to cut and fold my quarters, changed out my old dented hood for a straight dull one. When I put it on I put some spacers in it to let the heat out until I do hood vents. I put in a trans selector switch that will let me start out in either 1st or 2nd gearand will stay there without shifting. Went wheeling at exit 33 and tried everything out. Next weekend we head to Gulches for a day of wheeling. I will see how long my rearend last it has been popping for the last three weeks. I will be taking spare spider and side gears.:spin3:

Back