• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

They are great on the trail. I dont really drive it on the road much but I haven't really noticed them being an issue when it has seen street time. These are the update version though, the Detroit "Softlocker". They are super strong units, but I would suggest running some good shafts with them (Alloys or Chromemolys) simply because a shaft failure will usually take out the locker too. They don't like shock loads.

Let's see, yesterday...

1. Went to the PAP and got a new front drive shaft and hard brake line
2. Worked a deal, though TrailRate, with 60Driver to trade my Teraflex shackle set for his rear drive shaft with 8.8 flange adaptor
3. Measured my drive shaft angle
4. Pulled my rear drive shaft
5. Pulled my front drive shaft
6. Disconnected my parking brake
7. Ran a new hard brake line from the master cylinder to the rear brakes
8. Put new u-joints in the new front shaft (double cardon joint is a bitch)
9. Put a new battery in the WJ

How do you like the Detroits Tyler? I'm anxious to get my axles swapped out. The rear has a Detroit in it.

FWIW i had a detroit in the rear of a 5spd daily driver and it SUCKED..... it would probably be better in an automatic but im sure it will still pop and unload in power on turns.... spools or ARB's FTW ;)

FWIW i had a detroit in the rear of a 5spd daily driver and it SUCKED..... it would probably be better in an automatic but im sure it will still pop and unload in power on turns.... spools or ARB's FTW ;)

Yeah its gonna take some getting used to. Its an 8.8 so at least the shafts are a little stronger. The guy I got it from TREC'd the jeep the axles were in until he put a shackle mount through the floor. Ideally I would like air lockers but that's not in the budget at the moment.

Doug, which version did you have? Since Eaton bought out Tractech I've heard they were supposed to be a lot better on the street, but I could be wrong. The reason I DID NOT go with ARB is because I wanted something simple and strong. ARBs are nice but honestly I didn't want to have to tear down the axles to replace air seals a couple times a year. ARBs are like most hot women... they're high maintenance. While they are most likely the strongest lockers available, I didn't want to deal with the headaches that come along with them. I have enough of those with my Ranger. Since Betty rarely sees the street, the Detroits were obviously the correct answer for me. But for something daily driven, ARBs are the better choice for sure.

Doug, which version did you have? Since Eaton bought out Tractech I've heard they were supposed to be a lot better on the street, but I could be wrong. The reason I DID NOT go with ARB is because I wanted something simple and strong. ARBs are nice but honestly I didn't want to have to tear down the axles to replace air seals a couple times a year. ARBs are like most hot women... they're high maintenance. While they are most likely the strongest lockers available, I didn't want to deal with the headaches that come along with them. I have enough of those with my Ranger. Since Betty rarely sees the street, the Detroits were obviously the correct answer for me. But for something daily driven, ARBs are the better choice for sure.

mine were older... they may have been tractech products, honestly it probably wouldnt have been that bad with an auto but halfway through a turn it would unlock and sound like a gun going off.... of course none of my junk sees the street so spools are pretty cost effective

mine were older... they may have been tractech products, honestly it probably wouldnt have been that bad with an auto but halfway through a turn it would unlock and sound like a gun going off.... of course none of my junk sees the street so spools are pretty cost effective

I am guessing this is a newer one from Eaton but I can PM roxtar and find out. I normally don't throttle through the turns anyways so I should be fine. It'll be fun to scare the hell out of people who don't normally ride in my Jeep. Besides I'm sure I'll hear the lockright up front over that. I may take that out and do a tru trac in the future since I know the stock carriers are pretty weak. I got a decent deal on the axle I believe and i will finally have discs out back, I'm excited about that. Plus unlike you i'm running 31's so it should be a little easier on the axles.

I am guessing this is a newer one from Eaton but I can PM roxtar and find out. I normally don't throttle through the turns anyways so I should be fine. It'll be fun to scare the hell out of people who don't normally ride in my Jeep. Besides I'm sure I'll hear the lockright up front over that. I may take that out and do a tru trac in the future since I know the stock carriers are pretty weak. I got a decent deal on the axle I believe and i will finally have discs out back, I'm excited about that. Plus unlike you i'm running 31's so it should be a little easier on the axles.

dont take the lockright out its gonna break something else before lunches the carrier..... im running a mini spool in my stock 44 carrier up front.... plus once you wheel with a front locker youll never want to go back

dont take the lockright out its gonna break something else before lunches the carrier..... im running a mini spool in my stock 44 carrier up front.... plus once you wheel with a front locker youll never want to go back

I sure hope its as nice as everyone says. I'm not hard on the skinny pedal,( ask Ed and Stump) so I'm not terribly worried about breaking the carrier but you know how it is sometimes so I will definitely carry spare shafts for the front and will get some alloy shafts for the rear. If I won the lottery I'd get RCV's and ARB's! :D

I sure hope its as nice as everyone says. I'm not hard on the skinny pedal,( ask Ed and Stump) so I'm not terribly worried about breaking the carrier but you know how it is sometimes so I will definitely carry spare shafts for the front and will get some alloy shafts for the rear. If I won the lottery I'd get RCV's and ARB's! :D

i wouldnt worry about the 8.8 on 31's. the stock carrier in the 30 will hold up just fine to 33's with a lunch box locker as well, if you dont drive like a complete maniac.

i wouldnt worry about the 8.8 on 31's. the stock carrier in the 30 will hold up just fine to 33's with a lunch box locker as well, if you dont drive like a complete maniac.

I'm not too worried about the 8.8 but I drive my jeep daily. Plus on top of that in picking up a camper to pull soon and I like overkill. I don't hammer down unless absolutely necessary.

i dont hammer down unless i'm at the fair.....

thanks again greg :)

no problem man...

i daily drove mine on 33's, with the 8.8/30 combo. aussie in front, then for awhile i even drove it with a welded rear. I never worried about it, burned out a lot at stop lights :eyes:....got on it pretty hard offroad, especially at the jeep jamboree. You will be just fine on 31's.

Just put my 8.8 under the Jeep and put the tires back on. Now at least I can roll it around. Still going to be awhile before she's back on the road.

Trying to get some gears installed in a D44.

Did a Dana 44 come with an oil slinger on the pinion from the factory? I just pulled it all apart and it didn't have one. It still has the factory 3.07s in it and i don't think it's ever been tampered with... The new install kit has one but I don't particularly want to put the slinger on there in it throw the start pinion depth stack off...

The stock exploded view doesn't show a slinger.

It's a Chevy D44 btw. Full width of course.

Tho, I guess it would be the same thing if I removed the same amount of shims out of the stack as I added with the oil slinger.

Last edited:
Drove one of these off road:

33672_737958638177_36618587_40459926_2886098_n.jpg

Trying to get some gears installed in a D44.

Did a Dana 44 come with an oil slinger on the pinion from the factory? I just pulled it all apart and it didn't have one. It still has the factory 3.07s in it and i don't think it's ever been tampered with... The new install kit has one but I don't particularly want to put the slinger on there in it throw the start pinion depth stack off...

The stock exploded view doesn't show a slinger.

It's a Chevy D44 btw. Full width of course.

Tho, I guess it would be the same thing if I removed the same amount of shims out of the stack as I added with the oil slinger.

i would just replace some shims with the slinger. it'll help your bearings last longer, especially under a high pinion angle circumstance

Finished the first week of my EMT-B intensive. I can't believe how much I have already learned. Been riding up the unimproved road everyday on the mtb bike, finally got video of the descent today. Hit some of the local spots I enjoy last night and tonight to release some steam. I have my first clinical tomorrow in the ED.

Back