• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Way Wierd Axle Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIG-G

NAXJA Forum User
OK this is not an XJ question but i really need your guys help on this one...My wife rode her brakes so bad that she shaved a quarter inch of metal off the rotors and blew the seals in the calipers and seized them up!! Its a ford F-150 2003 and here is the big problem, when the mechanic pulled off the left rear rotor off the entire axle came out with it!!!!
The guy said in 25 years of buisness has he ever seen anything like this at all.
Im awaiting answers to some of my questions like, "was the axle seized into the rotor and come out in one piece?" and others.

Now what in the hell could pull out an axle horizontally just doing a brake job??????
PLEASE HELP BEFORE I CHOKE HER!!!

If she rode the brakes that long, and that hard, it is time to replace it.....the wife...not the truck.

The axle should not come out unless it broke, but it is possable that the retainer failed due to heat, either way...it ain't no good.

Time to call Currie.

Rev

seanR said:
No, It is time for a driving lesson!
I am sorry, but that is rediculous!
I would buy her a $1000.00 POS untill she learns to drive.

Ok dont get to carried away here because you are talking about my wife so chill out! Dont reply unless you can supply some knowlege to this problem and try to help figure it out.
We all know that this bad of a brake job is plain stupid to let go this long but i dont drive it to catch it untill i started hearing the metal to metal friction as she pulled away.
Now back to why a 2003 ford F-150 would have an axle fall out just from doing pads, rotors and calipers???????

I agree with the bearing retainer failing from the heat generated by the brakes being constantly ridden. If you want to keep on letting her drive, maight I suggest a trick that works for people that ride brakes? Try tying or restraining her LEFT foot with a cord that you can use, by pulling or holding, to prevent her from touching the brake pedal, and so forces her to use her right foot for everything. Now, before somebody starts whining about that "not being asmart idea", only do it in an empty parking lot and at low speed. Do this enough, and her habit of brake riding should be cured. In a panic or emergency situation, she will use both feet, just like any body else, what you are trying to do is teach her LEFT foot to stay on the floor unless it is needed. My wife tried to ride the brakes and I did this to her-problem solved, but my wife also was not near as bad is yours' apperently is about this dangerous habit.

Rotors got so hot the axle seals and bearings just burn up. Have a loud buzzer wired to the brake switch.
Could be it was driven with the parking brake on also. I have seen fires started that way.

ren said:
I agree with the bearing retainer failing from the heat generated by the brakes being constantly ridden. If you want to keep on letting her drive, maight I suggest a trick that works for people that ride brakes? Try tying or restraining her LEFT foot with a cord that you can use, by pulling or holding, to prevent her from touching the brake pedal, and so forces her to use her right foot for everything. Now, before somebody starts whining about that "not being asmart idea", only do it in an empty parking lot and at low speed. Do this enough, and her habit of brake riding should be cured. In a panic or emergency situation, she will use both feet, just like any body else, what you are trying to do is teach her LEFT foot to stay on the floor unless it is needed. My wife tried to ride the brakes and I did this to her-problem solved, but my wife also was not near as bad is yours' apperently is about this dangerous habit.

Well i dont think its so much of a case as riding the brakes but more so HER JOB!! Shes an account executive and it requires alot of driving in stop and go towns with traffic to travel to appointments and clients. Probably averages a couple hundred miles a week if not more. I set her triptomiter one day to see and when she came home she cleared 237 miles in one day.

Now just imagine the gas cost on the v8 pulling that 5000 pound vehicle. 2 to 3 tanks of gas per week at $50 plus bucks to fill it up!!

BUT you are right because the retainer clip was in pieces when they took off the rear diff cover!! The only thing holding the axle in was the seized caliper being bolted to the hub. If she had drum brakes like my XJ then the wheel would have flown right off!! (F**KIN FORDS)

BIG-G said:
Well i dont think its so much of a case as riding the brakes but more so HER JOB!! Shes an account executive and it requires alot of driving in stop and go towns with traffic to travel to appointments and clients. Probably averages a couple hundred miles a week if not more. I set her triptomiter one day to see and when she came home she cleared 237 miles in one day.

Now just imagine the gas cost on the v8 pulling that 5000 pound vehicle. 2 to 3 tanks of gas per week at $50 plus bucks to fill it up!!
What ever, but if the brakes get that hot then there is a problem period.

How did the front brakes look? When was the last time that they were serviced? Also, on the rear brakes, were both sides worn down or just the one side? I have had wheel bearings come apart like this, and it was due to a lack of oil/grease. I do not understand how "237 miles in one day" can cause that kind of brake wear - I belive you stated a 1/4" of thickness was gone from the rotor. That really sounds like something other than mileage is at fault.

BIG-G said:
BUT you are right because the retainer clip was in pieces when they took off the rear diff cover!! The only thing holding the axle in was the seized caliper being bolted to the hub. If she had drum brakes like my XJ then the wheel would have flown right off!! (F**KIN FORDS)

Well there is your answer Skippy.

Rev

BIG-G said:

Why the hell does she drive an F150 then?

Buy that woman a beater civic!

OK guys, CUT THE SH*T with the comments towards my wife and get the hell out of my thread if your not gonna add good info towards the subject.

And im not kidding, cut it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIG-G said:
OK guys, CUT THE SH*T with the comments towards my wife and get the hell out of my thread if your not gonna add good info towards the subject.

And im not kidding, cut it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Once again dude you prove what an idiot you are. These guys are not ragging on your wife.Besides YOU are the one who said you were going to choke her.

Most are saying buy her a cheap beater...its a good idea. Not because she is a bad driver but because its stupid to put her in a vehicle like that if she works and drives like she does.

BTW what type or brake pads are you using? If you are using the el-cheapo vatto-zone or checker lifetime warrenty ones that is the reason you wore that much off the roter. Those pads are made to not wear out but wear the roter out instead. They are so hard that they cut the roters instead of the pads.

Now grow up and learn to not take things so serious.

i say you look for a giveaway Dana 35 and put it underneath the ford. You can probably get them for next to nothing. just replace them as necessary. :D Then again, maybe that isn't such a good idea....you'll be pulling out axle shafts twice as often. lol...

DrMoab said:
Once again dude you prove what an idiot you are. These guys are not ragging on your wife.Besides YOU are the one who said you were going to choke her.

Most are saying buy her a cheap beater...its a good idea. Not because she is a bad driver but because its stupid to put her in a vehicle like that if she works and drives like she does.

BTW what type or brake pads are you using? If you are using the el-cheapo vatto-zone or checker lifetime warrenty ones that is the reason you wore that much off the roter. Those pads are made to not wear out but wear the roter out instead. They are so hard that they cut the roters instead of the pads.

Now grow up and learn to not take things so serious.

Kiss my a$$!!! I can say whatever i want about my wife but you CANT! Thats the vehicle she owns and thats what she loves to drive, american made and safe. Not like a small rice beater that needs constent matenence and has to transport my 1 & a half year old daughter and unborn son safely!! DO NOT TELL ME WHAT VEHICLE SHE BELONGS IN AND JUST BACK OFF AND DONT REPLY TO THIS THREAD ANYMORE,, GOT IT!

She has the heavy duty rotors and pads in the front but i think this is the first rear brake job it has gotten so the parts were stock. Im sure heavy dutys will go in the rear if they make em but its not my vehicle so whatever she gets is what she gets.

My questions done here and the problem is solved so i am asking the moderators to lock or delete this thread PLEASE and thank you.

BIG-G said:
Kiss my a$$!!! I can say whatever i want about my wife but you CANT! ......JUST BACK OFF AND DONT REPLY TO THIS THREAD ANYMORE,, GOT IT!
So just who really is the man of the house?

5popcorn.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back