• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

warning-pic heavy RC Crawlers...let's see them and your courses

NAXJA Forum User
I know many of us here have RC crawlers or kids with them. My 13 YO son got his 1st one about 2 years ago and now we have 5!

He got an Exceed 1/8th scale mad torque first. Good machine...s with a LOT of metal parts already on it and it's CHEAP. Only thing we've broken on it is a plastic steering knuckle but the plastic replacement is only $3 a pair and they make metal ones too. We put a 10th scale XJ body on it. We also have an MJ body.

Then he wanted an Axial. So he got an SCX10 Deadbolt. Good basher right out of the box but for $300...it broke a lot of parts as of course Axial makes most of their parts on stock rigs from plastic...so of course they make money on replacements and upgrades. Any way he's put on a set of beadlocks and boggers along with all metal links, new steering servo, metal trans gear and we just this weekend got the Nukizer body on it he got for Christmas.

I bought a Might FC body with nothing to put it on so we ended up getting another Exceed rig but this time a 10th scale maxstone. I believe it's an Axial Scorpion clone. LOTS of metal part out of the box (links and steering) comes with plastic beadlocks but they work well. I upgraded it to metal knuckles and I ordered extra plastic servo horns...they sent me 4 extras at no charge...installed a metal horn at no charge and sent a spare metal horn at no charge. I also upgraded to metal shocks and used stiff rear springs and medium fronts (it came with all 3 sets) and have virtually no torque twist. I also put in a 45T motor. Plus there are TONS of metal upgrade parts for CHEAP on their website. I did break the passenger side of the plastic rear locker this weekend and as soon as they are back in stock I will upgrade to metal.

My 2 younger kids each have an Exceed 1/16th scale...still a LOT of fun.

Any way here are some pics of posing and a couple from the local course we went to plus we began our own at home.

Let's see what everyone else has!

Big bridge at the local course.

And the beginning of our at home course. All from crap we had laying around. Most of it salvaged. The bigger tire is a 38...it took some work to get a rig up the pallet. Made it a double obstacle with driving through it being an option. We will add more rock as we get it. by the time it's all done (if ever) we'll have well over 100 ft of track.

I don't go to actual courses. I do a lot of hiking and trailing to different natural crawling spots.

Here you can see my SCX10 in the background with my current custom build in the front.

The steel chassis is a modified Integy Wraith chassis. It's pictured with SCX10 axles, VP 2.2 wheels, Proline Moabs, and 118mm shocks. I have since completely changed it. It is now sitting on wraith axles, custom links, and I'm waiting on 110mm shocks to arrive. Once I get all of the suspension worked out it will see an aluminum trans, steel gears, and a Holmes brushless motor and ESC. I've already started on aluminum panel templates and made some steel spools for the axles. I will most likely narrow the wraith axles since they are way too wide to be scale on this chassis.

Last edited:
My SCX10. Comanche body obviously with aluminum links and steering and cut the bump stops out of the shocks.
f2349b1a6967125072097cb171771bb3.jpg

This is my fault isn't it? LG got a crawler for Christmas and then he used some other money and bought a second. I don't have pictures of them but I do have pictures of the monstrosity he has built in my back yard.....

With all the rain we've been getting some of the course has been submerged.

He did some work on a friends crawler for him and then of course had to test it out....

This is mine.

It is probably one of the earliest 4wd rc cars made I think. I'm working on getting it running again. It's a scale replica of a Blazer that was raced in Baja. Has locking front hubs and a 3 speed transmission just like the real Blazer.

Also I have put the bug in Stephen's ear to put a course together at the camp ground. IF I get my car going I will bring it up to Harlan this summer.

There are enough rocks we could just make our own out of the way!

Unless it monsoons again.

Back