• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upper control Arm Bushing Replacement

Lake919

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys, so yesterday I replaced my Tie Rod, Drag Link and put in an Adjustable track bar. I took it in this morning to a buddy to get it aligned and it was a no go due to my UCA bushings being bad. I bought the new bushings from carquest, and now need your expert guidance to how to replace them. Thanks in advance

Some use a ball joint tool. To get them out you can melt the bushing if you like. Carquest should have the tool kit you rent. Basically you pay for it, use it and take it back when you are done. Be careful with the passenger upper as it it not that strong.

Thanks Johnnie, I guess since I tackled everything else under the jeep so far I should tackle this as well and not call defeat and go to a mechanic. I will just try with a ball joint press and some ingenuity. Not really looking forward to this job at all..

If the axle is in the vehicle, I use threaded rod and some parts of the Advance ball joint tool and their part of the control arm bushing tool. It helps with the limited room because you have the oil pan and springs in your way. It may be easier if you jack up the frame and let the angle hang.

If the axle is out of the vehicle, its a piece of cake.

I don't know what kind of bushings Car Quest sells, but I prefer the MOOG's or O'Reilly's Master Pro. Both are Clevite and about $10/set. The NAPA bushings are Chinese junk. The outer flange busted on mine on install.

I get why an alignment shop would not do an alignment with bad bushings, but you could probably do a reasonable job at home. Set toe-in with a tape measure. Then center your steering wheel. To set the adjustable track bar, again a tape measure to make sure the axle is centered. The bushings help more to keep the axle from rotating forward and backwards.

Last edited:
I've been known to throw the new bushing in the freezer the night before. Contracts metal a bit for easier install.

Thanks Johnnie, I guess since I tackled everything else under the jeep so far I should tackle this as well and not call defeat and go to a mechanic. I will just try with a ball joint press and some ingenuity. Not really looking forward to this job at all..

Rent the ball joint adapter kit, it will help alot. Mine came out and went in no problem.

Couple of options

Ball joint press works good if you have one. Also makes it a lot easier to install new ones so you need one anyway. Harbor Freight special works good for this.

Otherwise you can use a hole saw to bore the rubber out, then use a sawzall to cut the outer sleeve to relieve pressure and it will fall out. Can also use a chisel to fold in the lip to relieve pressure. You will still need a press/c-clamp to put a new one in

Ok so I got the passengers side out and back in relatively easily, the drivers side has been a MF. I finally got the old metal sleeve out(after fracturing my hand with a 5LB sledge), I cannot for the life of me get the new one to go back in. It won't line up properly, I have pulled the coil springs, sway bar, and have made room. I just want this over. PLEASE HELP.

Did you try putting the bushing in the freezer for a while? Maybe some heat on the UCA mount right before you install it also?

I froze it for two days and it still didn't want to seat right or even act like it wants to start. I will try again tomorrow. I have brand new UCA's waiting to go in.

Yeah I am thinking that is the issue as well. I went ahead and ordered the box of two from Oreillys, Master Pro Clevites. Will give these a shot when they come in. I am just ready to be done

Are these the stock OEM UCA's? If so, why not just go to the junkyard and pull two with good bushings?

Back