• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U-JOINTS where and what to buy

OK, so I'm not fully conversant on U joints.....

I know the 260 changed to 297, then to 760. Some folks recommended changing the axle shaft from WJ (?) to get the larger 297s. But my questions is, does the 297 and 760 fit in my (89) 260 axle? If it does then getting the WJ shaft is kinda a waste when all I need to change are the joints themownselves.

1. Will the 760 fit my 89 axle shafts?

2. If not, what is the replacement shaft needed?

3. As far as upgrading the entire shaft, what is recommended, without acronyms or slang terms (I dont know what "chromo" is versus "alloy" versus whatever).

Thanks

OK, so I'm not fully conversant on U joints.....

I know the 260 changed to 297, then to 760. Some folks recommended changing the axle shaft from WJ (?) to get the larger 297s. But my questions is, does the 297 and 760 fit in my (89) 260 axle? If it does then getting the WJ shaft is kinda a waste when all I need to change are the joints themownselves.

1. Will the 760 fit my 89 axle shafts?

2. If not, what is the replacement shaft needed?

3. As far as upgrading the entire shaft, what is recommended, without acronyms or slang terms (I dont know what "chromo" is versus "alloy" versus whatever).

Thanks

The 260 joint is smaller than the 297, they will not interchange. The 297 and 760 are the same size, just a different part number and slightly different contruction, making the 760 a little stronger. The 760 will not fit in your '89 shafts. Any later model year D30 XJ, YJ, TJ, WJ shafts with 297/760 shafts will work in your '89 housing. All TJ and WJ shafts are 297 size, later model XJ's are 297 size, but someone else will have to tell us what year they changed. Also, earlier XJ's and YJ's with ABS came with 297 size shafts. If you order new Spicer shafts with 760 joints from any vendor that sells them, they will all be the same and will fit you're '89. We're talking non-disconnect here.

All steel in axle shafts is alloy. Stock shafts are refered to as stock or Spicer. Alloy shafts virtually always mean an upgraded alloy material, mostly 1541 alloy, and are stronger than stock shafts. Chromoly shafts, mostly 4130 or 4340 alloy, are an even higher grade and are stronger than alloy shafts or stock shafts.

Aftermarket upgraded shafts for the D30 are chromoly, or chromo as we call it. In fact, most people only buy chromo front shafts to upgrade. Most rear upgrade shafts have been alloy (1541), but in the last few years chromo rear shafts have become available.

Of course, if you really want to spend some money, we can start talking about 300m shafts.......even stronger. Some of us have those. :D

Hope that helps.

call that guy on here... driveline something order the ALLOY USA joints (come with full rings and c's incase your lazy)

x2. the spicers are great, but the Alloy USA X-joints blow them away

I try to always get Spicer when available. I have used the Brute Force units quite a bit, and they do not seem to last as long. In fact I'm pretty sure I had Brute Force joints in there when my DS fell off on the highway.......

oh boy, man we can't hold your hand on every little thing! You have to do some of the work yourself. How do you get up in the morning? Cmon man! Goatman has been very patient, and he clearly said get the ujoints with the snap rings that work for them when you buy them! faaawwwwkkkk!

TKjeeper, Pay attention and read before you post i'm the OP of this thread and the post ur responding to wasn't by me u seem to be mistaken here

yes i plan on getting the full circle clips and i just asked if 760X was all i needed to know because i wasn't fully aware of weather it was or not

and was for as the cromo and alloy shafts or whatever go, goatman i understand what your getting at but liek i said i don't have 500$ to dump on a set of shafts that i don't need(yet) like i said i haven't had problems with shafts breaking just u-joints

well i now know what i need to buy, it was a little stressful but now i know thanks for all the help goatman and who ever else helped me

-Dylan

Do not get WJ shafts for your XJ unless you want CV joints....

I think you're meaning ZJ....

read here:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101124

Its generally accepted that stock shaft ears egg out when a u-joint fails, and are useless.

I say throw some 760's in some decent shafts, weld the caps in, and throw the whole assy away if something breaks.

In a thread that I cant find right now, CRASH said something like 'Spicer shafts are like condoms, you wouldnt use a condom twice - would you?'

yeah i have a set of shafts that still have some good u-joints in them that i was saving to replace with better u-joints

and as far grandcherokee shafts go i think all of the wj shafts are cv and all of the zj v8 shafts are cv but the zjs with the i6 are u-joints but i thnk all of the zj's have abs.

TKjeeper, Pay attention and read before you post i'm the OP of this thread and the post ur responding to wasn't by me u seem to be mistaken here

yes i plan on getting the full circle clips and i just asked if 760X was all i needed to know because i wasn't fully aware of weather it was or not

and was for as the cromo and alloy shafts or whatever go, goatman i understand what your getting at but liek i said i don't have 500$ to dump on a set of shafts that i don't need(yet) like i said i haven't had problems with shafts breaking just u-joints

well i now know what i need to buy, it was a little stressful but now i know thanks for all the help goatman and who ever else helped me

-Dylan

I was paying attention, my comment was directed at Markaboo, who's post was immediately before mine, maybe you need to pay attention.

sorry to bring a thread from the dead, but anyone have a source for full circle snap rings fro 760's?

thanks man, size?

1.jpg

IIRC they're 1 3/16"

I put my Alloy USA joints in this weekend. I even ground the shafts for full circle clips. When I was done and cleaning up I noticed the box, that the ALLOY USA joint came in, says "made in China" on it.. WTF?!

I'm hoping just the box was made there...

Awesome. so 1 3/16 full snap rings. Thanks a lot man!!!

When you guys are talking about grinding the ears off, what do you mean? Sorry ive yet to tackle u joints before.
Maybe a picture?

Thanks
-Brian

Awesome. so 1 3/16 full snap rings. Thanks a lot man!!!

When you guys are talking about grinding the ears off, what do you mean? Sorry ive yet to tackle u joints before.
Maybe a picture?

Thanks
-Brian
On the inside of the ear where the u-joint cap comes through you will notice it is flat about 3/4 of the way around the cap. You just make it flat all the way around the cap and then the snap ring will fit in.

Back