• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TW rant

mikecooper

NAXJA Forum User
So I called Tom Woods today to get my SYE and ds for my 242 tcase. Mine has the shift indicator on the tailshaft housing and the guy looked for 10 minutes before he came back and said well we dont have any of those in stock so we'll send you the one w/o the indicator housing and you can put it on and when we get yours back we'll modify it and send it back out to you. So for $900($400 core fee) they are sending me a part I have to put on use for a week pay to send my part back, get it back and redo my sye install all over again. Needless to say im rather pissed. Rant off!

Chris

I have had nothing but good experiences dealing with TW, sorry about your frustrations.

Why would you ever agree to that?

Sounds to me like they gave you an option, rather then just saying we don't have the part, deal with it. Which sounds like pretty good service to me. And at the same time, you agreed to that option, so why are you here complaining about it?

Last edited:
That's great that they would allow you to use one for free until they custom build you one, instead of leaving you stranded until they make it.
Rock on TW!!!!!!!!!!

Well fact of the matter is that If someone was paying for the sye to be put in than the shop would have to install it twice. My problem is that its my dd and I can either waste my time and money putting it all together and tearing it apart or tear it apart send my shit 1st then wait even longer. Id also have to pay return shipping on 2 housing, my stock one and the one they sent me that doesnt work. If you look on their website its says "all prices shown are freight paid ups ground continental us". If im paying a $400 core fee upfront then why the hell shouldnt that include the return shipping of my stock piece(which some other poor bastard has already paid to return to them) which under normal circumstances I would not be getting back. Basically what im saying is that if im paying to ship mine back and the next guy pays to get it shipped to his door then why should he have to pay to send his back when they will just charge the next guy to ship it to him.

91 Jeep Project said:
Why would you ever agree to that?

Sounds to me like they gave you an option, rather then just saying we don't have the part, deal with it. Which sounds like pretty good service to me. And at the same time, you agreed to that option, so why are you here complaining about it?

What option are you talking about? If i took mine off to send it back then it would render me w/o a vehicle completely. Seeing as how they are the only company that makes an sye for a 242 that also leaves me no other option. What it all comes down to is that the should require that you send you mainshaft and housing prior to the complete order being shipped out so this wont happen, or the should have spares. And like I said in the previous post is someone was paying to get the sye installed theyd be rather upset to have it be done twice. Its not that hard for TW to say well we'll just got to a jy and get one for you so we will have one in stock for our next customer when we receive yours.

It's a custom part that's out of stock. Why don't you just wait a while until he gets some in stock, or send in a tailcone like the one you have to mod.

Parts don't always appear with a snap of the fingers. Patience.

You could always go to the JY and send it to them as well right? TW has been hands down the best customer service out there I have delt with. I ahd a problem with the seal on my case and TW took care of it personally and sent me other stuff free. If anything, I would call TW back and ask them to send you a shipping label so you don't have to fuss. That man will bend over backwards for the 4wd community. Nobody can make 100% of the people happy all the time. Try another vendor maybe?

Give TW a chance. You need a part thats not in high demand and a little difficult to get. Like everybody else said, he'll do everything he can to help you.
I've used him twice and his service was great.

I don't care how much people praise TW, this specific stuation is a bad deal. What I really hate about TW is the $400 core. How is a $400 core justified?

mikecooper said:
What option are you talking about? If i took mine off to send it back then it would render me w/o a vehicle completely. Seeing as how they are the only company that makes an sye for a 242 that also leaves me no other option. What it all comes down to is that the should require that you send you mainshaft and housing prior to the complete order being shipped out so this wont happen, or the should have spares. And like I said in the previous post is someone was paying to get the sye installed theyd be rather upset to have it be done twice. Its not that hard for TW to say well we'll just got to a jy and get one for you so we will have one in stock for our next customer when we receive yours.

Sounds to me like you are shit out of luck then. You can either wait for him to get the part in stock. Or you can do what he already suggested. Sounds to me like TW is going out of their way to help you out, and all you can do is complain. They are sending you a part to use while they modify yours so that your rig is not sitting on jackstands for a week. It's not like when you send the part back they can just put it in a box and throw it back on the shelf. It'll have to be completey cleaned and inspected, which they are not charging you for. And how do they justify a $400 core? Call New Venture and price a tail cone and mainshaft for your case. Because thats what TW has to pay everytime someone doesn't send their stuff back in. I think you need to pull the stick out of your ass and be a little more appreciative of the effort they are making to make you happy. Which at this point I would say is just about impossible to do.

Last edited:
Roads said:
I don't care how much people praise TW, this specific stuation is a bad deal. What I really hate about TW is the $400 core. How is a $400 core justified?

They got tired of going to the wrecking yard to have parts to modify on the shelf...because people weren't sending their old ones back to them. What people don't realize is that the 242 parts in question are DISCONTINUED, which means you CAN'T FAWKING GET THEM ANYMORE. Yeah, charge a $400 core on parts that you DO have in stock so people will send their shit back. You're damned right. Don't want to pay the core? Send your parts first so you don't get charged. Either that or make it real easy on yourself and get ahold of a 231 to swap in.

I don't fault Tom one bit for doing what he's doing. For crying out loud, he offers up parts for temporary use to whining kids when he really doesn't have to. Get the hell over it already.

91 Jeep Project said:
I think you need to pull the stick out of your ass and be a little more appreciative of the effort they are making to make you happy. Which at this point I would say is just about impossible to do.

x2. stick or giant red wood tree?

mikecooper said:
Im paying $900 for the time being so I can bitch if I want to and I am 52 years old by the way.

cookie.jpg

You can always walk. If you need to get there fast run. If your going off road put some hiking boots on, and take a walking stick for a little more traction. TW is trying to help you out, thats kind of rare these days.

mikecooper said:
Im paying $900 for the time being so I can bitch if I want to and I am 52 years old by the way.

Probably more than you paid for the Jeep. My 4 year old is more appreciative and patient than you. :)

Roads said:

I dont see $400 as being unreasonable he is in business to make money. So long as he gets the core you get the mone back. Its his insurance, so he doesn't have to call you, bill you, order new ones, have a huge pile of needless cores on location. Granted he should have pile of back up's and accounting for midless idiots who dont want there $400 back :rattle:

everything is marked up. I am so sick as a business man my self that everyone thinks only docotors, lawyers, politicans, and WHAT EVER IT IS YOU DO, deserves to be rewarded, and everyone else shuold work for $5.25 per hour. Tom has easily hundreds of thousands of dollars of time and money into his business and he is a jerk for not taking peoples word he doesnt know on the net/mailorder, that they will send him cores. :lecture:

Dude get a clue, you clearly have never run a business before. If its such a good racket get in the biz and charge less, offer a superior product and take all his business away. Some reason i dont see that happening. hasta

Back