• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trucks Tv Xj build on Spike TV Sunday

What a waste!! I learn more about modding my XJ from you guys here than I do off the show!!!

It's nice to see an XJ getting some T.V. time, but I need more info than what is given.

I don't think their budget is exactly shoestring........(Kinda of a waste to me.....)

kdailey4315 said:
Why is everyone complaining about the tools. Who cares if they use tools that are expensive.
They are calling it a "cheep jeep" build but not many people are going to have those tools, so the build isn't cheap if you have to spend over $10k just on tooling, that is why everyone is "complaining" about the tools.

THe other thing is, you can rent tools as well, If you noticed I am not bitching about the tools costs, I am only bitching about the $400 Bwacker flares..... and the new header panel and front end.....

I know tools aren't cheap, but once you have them, you don't need to spend the money on them.....

I still have most of my original $1500 Husky tool set from my Auto Tech class days. Yes, their are some new additions, but most of my old tools are still in use.....

Now, if you will excuse me, I have a CB to install.....

89Daytona said:
They are calling it a "cheep jeep" build but not many people are going to have those tools, so the build isn't cheap if you have to spend over $10k just on tooling, that is why everyone is "complaining" about the tools.
They should have a disclaimer at the end of the last "Cheep Jeep" episode that says to visit NAXJA for the REAL information you need to build a "cheep jeep."

I was sitting next to my little brother saying "That bumper won't stay on the frame, those bushwackers are ugly and cost too much, they forgot the pinch seam!"

I actually loved the paint, that was the only BUDGET thing about it, I mean, I CAN ACTUALLY DO THAT! Just need to replace the stolen compressor...

What brand wheels/tires did they use? That was 1000 dollars well spent... not...

that buildup is a joke, for all the reasons mentioned here. They throw a new front clip, a paint job, and crappy parts, using expensive tools.

The buy this wrecked jeep, using an expensive tool to straighten the frame, and the first thing they do is put a new clip on it. they build a substandard bumper, with crappy shackle mounts, crappy frame mounts, they cut the pinch seam without re-welding it, and install costly bushwackers. I'm sure the rear bumper is no better. They buy cheap ass paint, but then have a professional painter spray it on, cus that's cheap...when you have a resident painter on staff and it doesnt cost anything. Seriously, it is one of the worst builds i've ever seen, and they order a quadratech lift. I was half expecting them to build a longarm and mount the brackets to the stock x-member. What sucks, is if people who don't know better watch the show and try to do the same "upgrades", resulting in trashed unibodies everywhere; cutting the pinch seam, straightening a trashed unibody, and instead of plating it, which is actually cheap, they put a bumper on 3 bolts per a side. they'll be repairing that unibody pretty soon. again.

89Daytona said:

Do you have the ability to go to a shop and have your frame fixed? Do you have the ability to go to a shop and get tubing bent if you need to? Why is it that people are bitching about the fact that they don't have to go somewhere else to get these things done. Everything that has been done to this Jeep is well wintin people's ability to have done somewhere if they don't have the "10K" in tools.

I did think it was funny that the Jeep was painted blue then put on display at a Maco tool convention. The Maco blue was a very similar blue to the XJ paint color

NCCherokee said:
that buildup is a joke, for all the reasons mentioned here. They throw a new front clip, a paint job, and crappy parts, using expensive tools.

The buy this wrecked jeep, using an expensive tool to straighten the frame, and the first thing they do is put a new clip on it. they build a substandard bumper, with crappy shackle mounts, crappy frame mounts, they cut the pinch seam without re-welding it, and install costly bushwackers. I'm sure the rear bumper is no better. They buy cheap ass paint, but then have a professional painter spray it on, cus that's cheap...when you have a resident painter on staff and it doesnt cost anything. Seriously, it is one of the worst builds i've ever seen, and they order a quadratech lift. I was half expecting them to build a longarm and mount the brackets to the stock x-member. What sucks, is if people who don't know better watch the show and try to do the same "upgrades", resulting in trashed unibodies everywhere; cutting the pinch seam, straightening a trashed unibody, and instead of plating it, which is actually cheap, they put a bumper on 3 bolts per a side. they'll be repairing that unibody pretty soon. again.

Do you actually think that they show every single thing that is done to their projects? How do you know that they justr didn't show them welding the pinch seams. I do agree that bumper was crappy.

kdailey4315 said:
Do you have the ability to go to a shop and have your frame fixed? Do you have the ability to go to a shop and get tubing bent if you need to? Why is it that people are bitching about the fact that they don't have to go somewhere else to get these things done. Everything that has been done to this Jeep is well wintin people's ability to have done somewhere if they don't have the "10K" in tools.
If you have to go to a shop everytime you need something done the project won't be "on the cheep" like the show is trying to make it sound.

kdailey4315 said:
Do you actually think that they show every single thing that is done to their projects? How do you know that they justr didn't show them welding the pinch seams. I do agree that bumper was crappy.

That would be a pretty major part to leave out because it takes quite a bit of time to do and is pretty critical. It should have been mentioned.

It should have. I watched that episode before going to work today. What a joke.

I'm sitting there with three girls, freaking out about how theyre f*cking up a perfectly (almost) good 2door Xj by not mounting the bumper right (among other things), pointing out how much stuff theyre doing costs and how i could do it for way less.They just sat there staring at me like some kind of alien.

They just don't understand.......

Tough crowd! Well, all I can say is thanks for watching. As far as the bumpers go - the build is supposed to be a mild one, not a hard core rig w/ heavy duty everything. We didn't have a chance to show it but the bumper did get reinforced a bit and it had been trail tested in the mean time. And yeah its still on the front of the Jeep. After I saw how much pressure it took to move the sheetmetal "frame" back into place maybe I over estimated how strong the mounting needed to be. On the BW flares - they were in process of being installed when I got there and from what I can tell they were installed per intruction from BW. Sounds like there is better way. Thats the good thing about forums like this. Me - I'll live and learn. The next show should be more "in depth" as we don't have to spend two segments at a tool convention. (just one at Midas getting our rotors turned:rolleyes: )

Oh yeah the budget. There is always a cheaper or better way to do things....always. That said I think this was a somewhat low budget considering its a TV build. Sometime in the next few days I am going to get a total together of what was spent. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Thanks for all the feedback - it will help us make a better show. BTW check out next weeks XJ build so you can rip that one too!

Ryan

Hey, bravo for having the nuts to speak up in a (mildly!) hostile environ...

And, yeah, "low-buck" is a relative term...

I think that's what rubs some of us wrong: With all our "real" bills to pay, we know what a real low-buck budget is!

But thanks for the effort!

Robert

I'm in the same boat w/ "real" bills to pay. You ought to see the P'sOS that are in my garage. Everything I own has over 160K miles and nothing is worht more than 7 or 8K! Sometimes I want to give my home shipping address when I order parts for these projects!

Yep, I imagine it could be hard sometimes, to translate that home-garage reality to the studio...

Robert

Its great to here that you are on NAXJA to respond to all this. I watch the show with an open mind to maybe learn somne things that I can utilize on my own cherokee and other biulds. Keep up the great work and as you know you cant please everyone, but hey at least you are doing a cherokee build which I think is pretty cool.

I've read most of the post here, and know what you mean about realism. They can only do so much when they have a 30 minute show, and the advertising takes up more time than the actual Tech part of the show. That advertising is what pays for all those nice tools, but at the cost of viewers.

jeepme said:
Its great to here that you are on NAXJA to respond to all this. I watch the show with an open mind to maybe learn somne things that I can utilize on my own cherokee and other biulds. Keep up the great work and as you know you cant please everyone, but hey at least you are doing a cherokee build which I think is pretty cool.

I'm with this guy - even if I end up not always agreeing with everything done on the show, it's good to see an XJ getting some camera time. Haven't seen part two yet (forgot to set the VCR), but will catch the replay next Saturday.

And thanks for dropping in on the thread.

I like the show, watch it whenever I can.
I get LOTS of ideas from the show, just no money to do them.
You wanna save $$$ on the expensive tools like the one to get the frame straight???
Find a cheep Cherokee that aint wrecked.
Ya know... things like that.
If they ever need a 4-dr to build up...
Hey... They can come get mine ANYTIME.

Back