• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Truck drivers as a profession, I need guidance!

Something that popped into my mind. I've been out of the industry for a long time, but I doubt the basics have changed much. Beyond the networking and contacts, the business aspect of the whole operation was almost a black hole for me. A couple of basic business classes would have been a big help, during my start up. I had a decent bookkeeper, from another endeavor of mine. Without him I would have been lost, good guy, trustworthy, now on days he would have certainly been a computer geek.
I learned my lesson fairly young, my youngest daughter has a degree in business now. Almost the entire family uses her services. I've found it really advantageous to have someone that's not really a part of the daily running of things, that has a little distance, to keep the books. In my experience they often pay for themselves in tax savings alone.

89jeeplaredo said:
Now, the whole idea behind all this is shooting for the big picture, managing our own logistics comapny. We have most of our resources in place, except for the truck.

We've got a fleet of 6 trucks that we use throughout our farming operation. IMO don't get the truck... If you want to do the logistics than do logistics. Trucks (& drivers) are easy to find & are getting only easier. Hire out the truck & run the logistics.

WOW ! Didnt know about all the new stuff,hoseA and hose B and all them guys ,WTF ? withs that ?
In the end somebody gonna do it and it is a respectable job and ,,,,,,,,no ,you aint gonna be home,but therein lies the romance so to say ?
i have been a constuction worker for? to damn long ,lookin to settle down now,never married ,no kids ,blah,,blah ,,blah BUT i been to lots of places and all that.
I did see one thing when you talk about Europen drivers though, i worked in Albania for a year on our embassy there ,i will say them guys can get stuff thru places that you would say,,,no way !!! seen it ,time and time again,drive like crazys,,crazy scarey ,but never hit squat ! No kiddin !
And the women ?????? OHHHHHHHH !!!! but they wont talk to ya and wont look at ya ,,,hmmm

Hay man, follow youre dreams , with knowledge of course,maybe a gal that wants to do the same ? Good Luck

PhunkXJ said:
You will need to gain experience in order to make the big bucks, my in laws own a reefer truck co. and require 5 years experience. Their drivers are paid extremely well and are taken good care of by the company. Their drivers who pull in $100-200k+/year are also on the road 5-10 days at a time. These guys also have families, just because you are over the road doesn't mean you can't have a family.

I think buying a truck without any experience is risky, what if you hate it? A truck payment can be as much as a house payment for some, it's expensive. For what fuel, payments, insurance and maintenance of a truck cost you wouldn't cover those expenses by loading a 24' trailer alone.

I'm hoping the hubby and I can buy a truck in the next 5-10 years and hire a driver, the money is really good.
You know of a company paying 100-200K? Shit sign me up!

I thought I was making good money in the industry making 70K

DrMoab said:
You know of a company paying 100-200K? Shit sign me up!

I thought I was making good money in the industry making 70K

Take your pick, you'll need a passport though and be working around alot of sand.

RichP said:
Take your pick, you'll need a passport though and be working around alot of sand.
I would also like to come home in one piece and not in a box thank you very much.

From what I have heard they aren't making that much either. Closer to 90K.

DrMoab said:
I would also like to come home in one piece and not in a box thank you very much.

From what I have heard they aren't making that much either. Closer to 90K.

Tax free plus bonuses, higher for fuel trucks.

A gig I always thought would be 'interesting' was with FedEx... they have a "Custom Critical" division that runs big box vans with a sleeper. I am not sure if they are owner-operated, or if the company owns the vans and the drivers are employees. I do know that FedEx Ground delivery drivers own or lease their vans... (GMC P-series, usually 350 gas motor/4L80 autos) kind of like a sub-contractor I suppose. Home every night with that gig... dunno about the pay.

Another option is a gig like a buddy had: Nightly route from just outside NYC up to outside Boston... hauled a trailer full of MOPAR parts up, drop & hook up to an empty trailer back. Nice equipment & little stress (well just I-84 and Mass Pike stress from traffic and the CT and MA troopers)

My brother in law hauls chicken feed for Perdue. He's making pretty good coin, but he has been at it awhile and works a lot of hours for it. But it's a daily gig too...

I suspect the owner-operator gig would have the potential to make the most money, but would depend on having a steady source of loads... No income when that truck is sitting in the yard. Having a good accountant to keep up with the biz side of it would be key. As others have said, OTR is probably horrible for the home-life. (IE your "home" is in the cab of the rig)

I make 144k-170k driving I would not buy a truck till you have some experience at it they are very pricey and hard to get rid of if you decide it is not for you it is a good job but i found reefer work not to pay the best (we did it for years) most insurance companys wont touch you without two years over the road so that will be a problem for you as well

dirtybird said:
I make 144k-170k driving I would not buy a truck till you have some experience at it they are very pricey and hard to get rid of if you decide it is not for you it is a good job but i found reefer work not to pay the best (we did it for years) most insurance companys wont touch you without two years over the road so that will be a problem for you as well
Is that net or gross? You own your own truck right? Is that after expensies?

If not I wanna come work with you.

Still a bunch of naysyers ,just where is ,and how is it we all get our stuff ?
By the way i said ALBANIA ,they dont got no sand there ,nice place actually,with nicer people too

From the sounds of this thread we will be out of everything by this time next week,, just has to be an upside somewhere ?

if i read this rite 24ft would be a strait truck keep it under26,lb no air brake no class b lic needed one problem unless u are hauling your own freight it can be hard to find stuff to haul if you are in a ruial area you mite find back hauls frome mom&pop type farms wineries small machine shops
feed store ect etc i have 28yrs my first 20yrs as a owner op i am a union
driver now and cant complane iam makeing almost as much working1/2
as much + i have benies that as a O.OP i could not buy there are ways of makeing money with any kind of truck kiss your free time goodby you just
maried your truck if you are smart and wise with your $ it could be a good thing if you need anything pm me good luck

89jeeplaredo said:
One of my good friends has been working at a very large third party logistics comapany for a quite some time now managing all apects of the fresh produce sector. He has built quite a few strong relationships with several clients that will follow him for their business. Another very close friends' family owns a smaller logisitcs company where we can keep our loads refridgerated as need be.

You need to have a legal team look over your friend's employment contract very carefully. I would not be surprised to see a "no compete" clause in there. And be very careful taking clients away from his existing employer - you (and him) may spend more time in court than on the road.

YMMV

Spudboy said:
You need to have a legal team look over your friend's employment contract very carefully. I would not be surprised to see a "no compete" clause in there. And be very careful taking clients away from his existing employer - you (and him) may spend more time in court than on the road.

YMMV
Yea most of us "Logistic Companies" aka: Broker's have contracts and no compete sections in said contracts.

another thing you will need to consider is DOT complience drug screens logs etc it is a real pain the the butt then there are permits and so forth I am not saying not to do it but do your home work first b4 you buy any thing

that is net Dr Moab take home the only thing besides house hould expenses that comes out of that are my truck and trailer note wich are under 2500 a month for now I am thinking of buying a new trailer this fall and if we do it will be a bit more than this one is
I should also say that what we do is very speacilized and hard to get in to

I am very happy driving a truck for a living it affords me the abilitly to take time off when i want for how long i want(read can afford) and no one breathing down my neck all day

Back