• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailing Arm Trailer Suspension Q???

Gokracer1

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys and Gals,

I am currently taking on a project to build my own adventure style trailer. I am building an independent trailing arm with air bags and shocks similar to this..

Shockstires-100313.jpg

Being that I am building this from scratch the possibilities are endless (To a point, money is always an issue). I already have 3500lb spindles and brakes for it, the trailer body is 60"L x 40"W. The frame is 2"x3" 1/8 steel tube. Control Arms are 2" square 3/16 thick, with welded inserts w/ Teraflex Large ends (2 per arm). And it will be running on 35x12.50x17 tires.

1) I am looking for ideas on shock location?

2) And on Sizes of shocks and where to get them?

Thanks,

Adam

I can't see that shock location as being even remotely functional.
If you are competent enough to build the trailer, I'd bet your have the skills to research better shock locations.
Although the adjustable nature of the 9000's would be of value to you, the overall weight might be so low that you may need even lighter damping than they provide.
Really this forum is about building Cherokees and it is maybe not your best resource for adventure trailer builds....

I can see some advantages to this with not having the axle to get hung up on all the time.

However... I see that trailing arm being twisted and being a weak spot. I see that the trailing arm is a rectangle... I would recommend that a piece of 1/8 plate be used to box it and to act like a skid plate on the bottom side of trailing arm.

I see that keeping the camber correct would be a challenge because of the twist of the trailing arm. I do like the idea and can see good advantages to this design if you can keep the camber correct and not twist the trailing arms.

As for shock locations... that is harder to do. I do not see that location as being a good one. with the airbags you will have limited flex just get a shock that matches the travel of the airbag.

A single piece of 1/8" plate won't do anything for stiffness in twisting, but as a skidplate, maybe. Probably don't even have to go that heavy.

Try to get the airbag and shock as close to the tire as possible, to reduce the bending load you're putting on that 'axle'. You're not going to get more travel at the wheel than at the airbag anyway.

Try to get the shock as close to perpendicular to the control arm at ride height as you can.

Thanks everyone for the input on this.

I decided to not go independent being I am sure I am going to have camber issues. I am going to still run a trailing arm w/ air bags and shocks. But make my own solid axle.

REDDOGG.XJ, yes I have been searching Expedition Portal some being there is a lot more info there as here (Just as the VP stated....).

Thanks,

Adam

Those adjusters on the shocks wouldn't last long on trails around here.

How much travel do the air bags have? I would try and find a shock that was short enough to mount parallel to the air bag. Maybe a snowmobile or 4wheeler shock would work? http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produ...Main&catId=&productId=p10143&leafCatId=&mmyId=

Not much at all really maybe 3-4 inches. I did find some very short trailer shocks from Monroe on Amazon that I picked up. They extend to 14 inches so I hope to make those work.

Thanks everyone for the input

I can see some advantages to this with not having the axle to get hung up on all the time.

This might go back to what Rick said about finding better info elsewhere.

I think you guys are looking at a few things "as you would an XJ" when a trailer is a totally different animal.

First off, axle articulation on a trailer is meaningless. The tongue takes all the axle articulation out of the equation.

Second, that shock position might actually work a lot better. If you are using automotive shocks on a trailer that weighs 1400 Lbs tops than the valving is going to be all messed up anyway. The greater leverage you can get on it or I guess less leverage the better. The two reasons you do airbags on a trailer is weight savings and ride. You don't want your fancy wine glasses to get smashed to bits :D

Back