• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tool storage in a wheeling rig

41WHY8R708L._SS500_.jpg

^^^I bought one of those from the bargain bin at Sears like 15 years ago for 2 bux. It's still in my tool box and still works great.

turkey baster

So I'm not the only one then? My wife gets pissed because the bulbs dry out and every time I need one it's easier to just go in the kitchen and steal hers...

My suggestion is a combination of the tool bags and the pelican case. Use the tool bags for putting just the tools you need for a job and leave the pelican case in the vehicle or somewhere safe. That way if you're working in the middle of an obstacle, you know what tools you brought, and accountability is easy. For the pelican, take a piece of sheet metal and cut it into some squares the size of the pelican to use as pull out dividers. Drill two holes on opposite ends of the squares to tie some 550 cord for handles. Take foam and glue it to the sheet metal and make 'cut outs' of the tools. That way its organized and easy to see if anything is missing.

It will take some time to set up, but it will pay off in the end when you aren't leaving tools under the hood or in mud holes, etc. If you really want to get fancy, spray paint the sheet metal a contrasting color before you adhere the foam to make it really easy to see whats missing. Overall should be cheaper and just as effective as the over-priced pelican tool box.

I'm a Blackhawk mechanic with the Guard, and that's how we organize our individual boxes. Works great. HTH

I had tool bags that I would strap to or under this rack I built. It worked good cause I could put what I needed in tool bags and strap it with the shoulder strap or ratchet and keep them in place. The bigger stuff can go underneath tied or untied. Its also nice that almost everything can be taken out if needed, and the rack comes out in 5 minutes with 4 bolts and 2 wing nuts
rack003.jpg

I just use a craftsman 4 drawer tool box. I bolted it to through the floor on 4 corners. just pulled the drawers out, marked and drilled. Works great for me, and holds a ton of stuff. When the top is closed, the drawers cant open.

DSCN0552.jpg

~James

The top 2 drawers are full of tools, everything needed to repair or build a XJ. The bottom drawer is full of spare parts, almost another XJ in there:D

25.jpg

Back