• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

to winch or not to winch?

KarlVP said:
Winch FIRST. Why don't people understand that. You can winch yourself through anything. Even if both your axles are broken.

Anywho, for the sake of your thread, get a cheap winch. Tabor is warn's budget line. Get somthing in an 8000 pound flavor. Even if you only use it a few times a year, it comes in real handy for home work projects. Or when the weather turns sour, you can help other folks out in situations.

It's just a good insurance policy.
x2

I'm planning on makin' some pocket change when the snow and ice hits...

KarlVP said:
Winch FIRST. Why don't people understand that. You can winch yourself through anything. Even if both your axles are broken.

Anywho, for the sake of your thread, get a cheap winch. Tabor is warn's budget line. Get somthing in an 8000 pound flavor. Even if you only use it a few times a year, it comes in real handy for home work projects. Or when the weather turns sour, you can help other folks out in situations.

It's just a good insurance policy.

Exactly.
Ive stated this same thing in a couple "locker vs winch" "lift vs winch" ect. debates. Most everyone still believes that lockers and lift will get you through as much as a winch will and thats just ridiculous.
I think theres a stigma associated with winches, like they are cheating or are proof of failure. I dont see them like that at all. I see them as a tool to accomplish something, no different than lockers or tires or lift. Dollar for dollar, a winch can accomplish more than any of these other things.
That stigma quickly disappears when you're winching someone out of a mud hole that they got into only because they chose lockers over a winch.

Ray H said:
Exactly.
Ive stated this same thing in a couple "locker vs winch" "lift vs winch" ect. debates. Most everyone still believes that lockers and lift will get you through as much as a winch will and thats just ridiculous.
I think theres a stigma associated with winches, like they are cheating or are proof of failure. I dont see them like that at all. I see them as a tool to accomplish something, no different than lockers or tires or lift. Dollar for dollar, a winch can accomplish more than any of these other things.
That stigma quickly disappears when you're winching someone out of a mud hole that they got into only because they chose lockers over a winch.

I agree with that completely. I am in the same situation right now and I have chosen to winch over locking due to many things. If I spend my winch money on a set of lockers than I still have the same possibility of being stuck and not getting myself out. I plan to stay with a D30/ D35 combo on 32x11.50 mud terrain tires and If I were to lock them than it will break quicker than if they were open and I find it just as challenging to wheel smaller stuff with open diffs than huge shit that would be a challenge locked where I know I will break more.

In all fairness and in review of my post, I should elaborate a little. Sometimes its easy to forget that not all wheeling involves heavily wooded eastcoast kinda stuff. I know the west coast and even midwest guys will probably have a different point of view. I can imagine that a winch in Moab is probably not as useful as lockers would be. So, I guess the terrain that you wheel is also a major consideration in your choices

Back