• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

time to PO the ricers

2wd or 4wd

• 2wd

Votes: 43 13.2%
  • 4wd

Votes: 282 86.8%

• Total voters
BlackSport96 said:
not to mention the Syclone/Typhoon don't appear to be stock. If anything they'd look like lowered Blazers...:D

you seem like smart folks. I'm sure you can put S-series leaf springs on and crank the torsion bars up. :repair: ;)

hasta

the funny part is that else where in this tread I decide on what to do/ I picked up a 2wd 2.5L short bed that I'm now playing with. it handles very well so far and ya its short on power but not to bad it just makes you drive it a little more.

eric91xj said:
hey, i'm a big jeep fan, on my 4th one and just recently got my drivers permit back after losing my license for 3 years for racing my '91 xj over 100mph. I dunno what you guys are considering ricers here, i hope just those kids in imports with huge wings and body kits and buzzy exhausts. If your referring to all 4cyl imports as ricers than you got another thing coming and i will never be seen posting on this site again because i willnot deal with that kind of ignorance. go out and buy an '88 honda crx hf weighing in at about 1800 pounds or any older crx or civic hatch back. put a b series motor (decent selection of them too) in it and then you'll be shutting your mouth. You can take a bone stock Integra gs-r motor, plant it in an old hatch, get some slicks and a good driver and you'll be running mid 13's all day and thats a very very baseline type of setup. there are 1.8 liter honda's running 6's in the 1/4 now people, wake up.

eric
Ok this is just my 2cents, but to me a ricer is a stock (insert import here, IE Mitsu Zuk, Honda, etc) with a 5 pound coffee can for an exhaust, and a 9000 watt stereo that the driver thinks is the best thing since sliced bread. I two wheel also, and I had one of these rev his hampster at me while I was next to him at a light on my geezer. What was he thinking? Now, this is still just my 2cents, but an import tuner is like a Jeep(oh god, I'm gonna get slammed for that). It's when you take an import swap in a bigger motor, maybe boost it, run a high flow, not high noise exhaust, cam it, etc. etc. Now you got power, so you tweak the suspension so you can use all that power, stiffer shocks, varaible spring rates, drop the suspension, now you got power and handling, so you jump up to larger disc and brembo brakes so you can stop it. Now it's got lots of power, handles, stops, so you swap out some body panels for carbon fiber, now it weighs less, this could go on forever, you get the idea. Just like a Jeep.

Ya it is very much the same no matter what you have weather its a car truck bike or atv it never ends. I'm sure I've said this before but who knows. I realy don't have anything against imports. HEck 10 years ago I was buildin and racing RX-7s and had a pretty cool 626 GT with a TURBO 2.0 that was a blast to have fun with. but the whole thing behind what started this never ending thread is wouldn't it be a fun to blow the coffee can of the some of these "tuner cars" that everyone is building. Lets ace it its a small protion o the people who are building them know what the hell they are doing and o that small portion of them can actually drive them. it you can't see what the original post was suposed to be. hasta

ok first off a jeep is an excelent sleeper...
i figured i might as well throw my two cents in....ive got a couple videos online of my jeep racing....but ....the links keep getting removed off of this site....so ill go ahead and just post my times...but if anyone wants to see the videos just ask and ill send you the links

best 1/4 et.13.87
1/4 mph 103.6

with drag radials i should be able to pull off maybe 13.4-5 @ about 100-102 mph.
current mods:
1990 xj 5spd 2wd 2dr 4.0
custom intake setup
custom cat-less muffler-less exhaust
3.55s in the back...(3.07 stock)
moderate weight reduction(backseat,spare tire)
NOS dry setup
driver mod :)

...just wait till the stroker and the forged internals:)

Last edited:
eric91xj said:
hey, i'm a big jeep fan, on my 4th one and just recently got my drivers permit back after losing my license for 3 years for racing my '91 xj over 100mph. I dunno what you guys are considering ricers here, i hope just those kids in imports with huge wings and body kits and buzzy exhausts. If your referring to all 4cyl imports as ricers than you got another thing coming and i will never be seen posting on this site again because i willnot deal with that kind of ignorance. go out and buy an '88 honda crx hf weighing in at about 1800 pounds or any older crx or civic hatch back. put a b series motor (decent selection of them too) in it and then you'll be shutting your mouth. You can take a bone stock Integra gs-r motor, plant it in an old hatch, get some slicks and a good driver and you'll be running mid 13's all day and thats a very very baseline type of setup. there are 1.8 liter honda's running 6's in the 1/4 now people, wake up.

eric

shhh...chill boy... and the gsr hatch will at best be running HIGH 13's on slicks .....but also look at it this way, how would it look to see that slicked up(probibily gutted) hatch with the gsr swap get torn apart from a roll by a jeep...
....not tryin to sound like an ass but dont come on here defending "ricers" because thats stupid...ricers are the people who give catious street racers a really bad name by racing on crowded streets ...

Amen. Race only when it's safe for OTHERS. I don't give a damn about the guy racing. I don't want him to come crashing into MY car when I'm just driving through town.

Ricers are people who think 16 second cars are fast. If you've got a 13 second stripped down NA hatch, that's awesome. That's not rice. That's showing what is indeed possible.

But don't come here and get all uppity and defensive. We can all respect a car that is built well. But a car with a coffee can that produces more backpressure than the stock exhaust and a wing sufficient to let the Spruce Goose get off the ground, isn't well built...

And what ever you do dont hit one in the back. 5mph= 0 damage to my rig, not even the plastic plate holder.POS ricer= 2 broken tail light assemblies.1 trunk lid,1 bumper assembly,and a rear clip. quality? no wonder they get 30mpg. The beer in my hand has more structural integrity and build strength.

Seem to remember when Dad got his '90, a few weeks later he rearended a Civic, he had minor front end damage (bumper curled back, tweeked fenders, etc) and he said the Civic almost had it's back bumper almost on the ground from the hit!

WTF is either of your points? Do you buy a vehicle with the intention of getting into a wreck? Its apples and oranges. Trust me if it weren't for the fact I have a child on the way I would have gladly kept my turbo civic.

Well let's compare apples to apples than. "Heavy" domestic V8 vs "light" 4cyl import naturaly assperated (stock for both), or how about a stiped version of either with bolt ons; wait, what about power adders on both? Dommestic will dominate all of those. O, but if I put this spooner GS4-XY (I made that up because it's been a while since I watched The Fast and the Furious ;-) ) engine from a different vehicle in my light little civic and turbo it, I'll be in the 11's and beat up stock vipers!! Well ya sure will, but how much $ did you spend making it that fast, and what would it take for, say a stock 2003 Cobra to run 11's? Um, a couple of bolt ons and a set of slicks. You say, well how much did you pay for your Cobra? $32k new, probably around $20k for a used '03 right now, well I paid $3k for my 1987 Civic Hatch back--ok, how much do you think a 1987 5.0 GT would cost? Try buying a brand new Civic GT or STI or whatever the crap they are, tearing out the motor, slapping a turbo on it and see how much you spend. If you are into rice, fine, that's your porogative, and there just not for me. When people start saying imports are faster for cheaper, or they all handle better because thier light little front wheel drive (FWD sucks for drag racing and autocross just incase you didn't know) car handles better, they just plain don't know what they are talking about.

Ford Festiva - Free "u-tow" in the "Under $1000" section of any local newspaper ALL the time. Mazda BPT engine, ready to drop in - $1000. Crank the boost to 14psi. Drop on some slicks...10s car for $2k at the most ;)

It isn't really about I4 vs V8 or FWD vs RWD vs AWD...it's about what YOU like. Don't knock it if you're a big V8 guy. Respect that SOMEONE is doing something that very few people have done. They can say the same about you. "Oh he ordered up skyjacker lift XA-29 and dropped on Super Dooper Swampers so he can park on my car."

There's a home in my garage for everything. From supercharged weedeater engine go-karts to big V12 supercars...if it's fun, and I can dink around with it. I will. :p

Everyone knows domestic rules the dragstrip. I mean going all out when money is not an issue big block V8 wins all the time. I mean how are imports suppose to compete with big blocks (streetable ones) pushing 2-3000 HP. Funny cars run with close to 5000 HP Pushing 50 pounds of boost. Top fuel dragsters run around 7500 HP (watched a show on this) with 55-60 pounds. The only good imports are the RWD or 4WD ones. Where they have room to put power and have a much better balanced car and can do things that would be physically impossible for a FWD car.

But if you want to have a little civic be my guest, I'm not you.

heres my .02 about rice cars-
fwd will always suck for a dd drag car. yes you can make a crx pretty fast. is it safe? hell no. will it handle good? hell no again, if you want to be able to hook up decently. yeah, go ahead and put wide-ass drag slicks on a fwd car. and don't replace the whole front suspension. it changes the delicate suspension geometry. it won't even hold an alignment. yeah, it will do 65-130 in like 5 seconds, but if something goes wrong, you're dead. period.:mad:

what pisses me off the most about those cars is when some idiot takes a honda and then trying to go 150 in it. "but they really race these cars" he says. dude, thats like making the sad attempt to compare a nascar lumina to a stock version. in scca fwd races the whole suspension is tied into the cage. those cars were not made to be safe or work well at these speeds. period. people like that are the reason that when you go to a national park, the guard fence at the scenic view is like 20 ft from the edge of the cliff.

but now the old supras are rwd, the I-6 mg or whatever it is motor is pretty damn quick. $2-300 in mods, and you have a REALLY quick car that you can control quite well. with good tires. now that i can respect. i've had my ass handed to me by a sti before, AWD is a good thing. those cars can hook up well. i like those, too. :)

every once in a while, i'll run into a civic or mazda whatever on a back road, with a wing and all. he'll try to pass me like he's the man, then i'll floor it through a corner and smoke his dumb ass. in my lifted jeep(though my setup is designed to do this). hell, most ricers in my town don't even want to race me anymore. no, my truck is not a racecar. fwd just sucks around corners. the easiest way to gain lateral g's is with wider tires. which dually gives most fwd cars a serious disadvantage.

another thing i hate about ricers is the wings. a 50lb bag of sand is a hell of a lot cheaper. and will provide more downforce than their wings. just look at how they're attached. bolted to the thin sheetmetal on the trunk. yeah, wings do help. at like 200mph. look at any old plymouth roadrunner with a wing. that sucker is tied into the factory frame. :D

Yeah, I should have predicated my statement that I was talking about ricers, not imports. Saying if it's not an american V8, it's slow is retarded. I'm talking about civics, tiburon's, hundyia's (*sp), and OMG, if I see another freakin' kia with a wing on the back.............

Cjmartz2k said:
Yeah, I should have predicated my statement that I was talking about ricers, not imports. Saying if it's not an american V8, it's slow is retarded. I'm talking about civics, tiburon's, hundyia's (*sp), and OMG, if I see another freakin' kia with a wing on the back.............

Nice fucking statement. Ignorant and tasteless. You're talking about Civics? You group them all together? My turbo Civic was a very nicely put together car. No wing, no stickers, no shit. Get a clue before you make broad statements like that. My little Civic would tear the ass out of most "American Muscle" cars. Ask my buddy and his Ford Lightning, I walked on the that thing easily. I don't condone street racing and never have. I am too old for that shit and these children are reckless. It still doesn't give the right to pigeon hole all the cars. Ever seen an N/A 1.8 liter Civic go 10's? I have. My little crap can Civic with minimal work and a custom made Turbo kit went 12.6. Not bad for a SOHC 1.6 liter. Think about that because the car was set up to autocross. Everyone runs their mouth until they realize they just got owned by a car that cost 1/2 as much to build and has 1/3 the displacement. Its really actually funny and I don't know why I get upset. I still have a place in my heart for my Civic. My neighbor now owns it and treats it really nice. He beas the living hell out of but as long as he enjoys it, thats what counts!

P.S. Have you ever been to an autocross event? Front wheel drive cars are very nicely suited for autocross.

Well, I'm in a hurry at work, so I can't respond to all of that at the moment, but as too the SCCA autocross, as a matter of fact, I used to race Solo Class II with my '98 Cobra and my dad's '90 notchback stang with a 351W, so yeah, you could say I've seen one or two races before.

Back