• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

time to PO the ricers

2wd or 4wd

• 2wd

Votes: 43 13.2%
  • 4wd

Votes: 282 86.8%

• Total voters
i thought you wanted a sporty car? why the interest in an MJ or any truck for that matter? trucks and SUVS are never going to be as fast as cars, but it sounds like you already have the MJ, and you dont need to stroke or supercharge any XJ out there to beat ricers. my 4.0 w. a short ram and exhaust will smoke 90% of the ricers around. any model eclipse, including the GSX (turbo all wheel drive) as well as civics, integras etc

i guess it can fall under "its a jeep thing" but I've always love these trucks and i know how well my old one did on back roads. any one can go fast in a damn car but its more fun to do it with something that isn't suposed to be fast. i enojoy driving it plus i can use it for hualing crap around. back when the street and performance board was started i said i don't care what you want to do with your jeep if you ask for help i'll do my best plain and simple. Lets look at it this way how many of use build big and bad rock krawlers out of xjs? well why would we do that? its becuase we want to.

jeepmaster said:
i thought you wanted a sporty car? why the interest in an MJ or any truck for that matter? trucks and SUVS are never going to be as fast as cars, but it sounds like you already have the MJ, and you dont need to stroke or supercharge any XJ out there to beat ricers. my 4.0 w. a short ram and exhaust will smoke 90% of the ricers around. any model eclipse, including the GSX (turbo all wheel drive) as well as civics, integras etc

I agree entir...oh wait...did you say "any model Eclipse"? HAHAHA :wave1:
Now, are these cars allowed to have intake and exhaust modifications like your Jeep? Here's a quick Google search: http://hometown.aol.com/kenokazaki/modsF.htm
Notice all of the stock items. The intake and exhaust mods are a little more complex than a Jeep's, but they are still similar mods. All external.

REDXJ4FUN said:
i guess it can fall under "its a jeep thing" but I've always love these trucks and i know how well my old one did on back roads. any one can go fast in a damn car but its more fun to do it with something that isn't suposed to be fast. i enojoy driving it plus i can use it for hualing crap around. back when the street and performance board was started i said i don't care what you want to do with your jeep if you ask for help i'll do my best plain and simple. Lets look at it this way how many of use build big and bad rock krawlers out of xjs? well why would we do that? its becuase we want to.
I concur...so much more fun to do it with a vehicle not designed to be fast.

I was at Carisle earlier in August and actually saw an 2000 xj with a Corvette motor. It was lifted and everything like that but I bet it'd still run like hell.

I love all the diesel truck drags. There's a Super Duty with the 6.0 powerstroke with 38s under it and it still runs in the 12s or lower I think.

And it is more fun in something that's not supposed to be. That's why all my thoughts on cars to build are old boats or the aformentioned Gremlin, that type of deal.

SWeeng as this is a truck and not a cherokee ill condone this and even help.whack off the whole front subframe aqnd build atubular one run bars diagonally from the firewall to the front of the rails put in a mustang 2 front clip from Heidts .Street rodders have been doing this for years. in back id go with a four link. Hope :NAXJA: this helped.

SWeeng as this is a truck and not a cherokee ill condone this and even help.whack off the whole front subframe aqnd build atubular one run bars diagonally from the firewall to the front of the rails put in a mustang 2 front clip from Heidts .Street rodders have been doing this for years. in back id go with a four link. Hope :NAXJA: this helped.Id go two wheel drive and put in a 4.7 out of a grand.

Last week I pulled off a [email protected] 1/8 mile with 2400 miles on my stroker so I think that's fast enough to leave most ricers getting a good view of my big oval tailpipe. I did that run in full street trim. I could easily strip 140lb of weight from it (remove spare wheel, rear seats, a few other bits, run <1/4 tank of gas) and improve on that time.
I also have some mild HP-increasing tricks up my sleeve (crank scraper, Mobil 1 10W-30 instead of dino 20W-50, and possibly roller rockers if I can find them cheap).

jeepmaster said:

Well I was with you until you said GSX...even bone stock I'd imagine you'd have hard time if the driver is decent...doesn't take much to make a 4g63 fly (and I specifically state those with this particular engine). The fact of it is that most GSX drivers aren't ballsy enough to launch their car as it should be. If they'd give it an extra 2k RPM off the line they'd be out in front of you and down the street before you got your foot on the gas :D And with just a few mods, or hell, simply cranking the boost up you can put a GSX into 13s and 12s. Granted, this doesn't really count as far as "street" goes, but I know someone who simply boosted his to high hell (27psi) and ran race gas and put down an 11.7 with intake and exhaust... Those engines are incredible, the stock bottom end can handle damn near anything you throw at it.

phaythe said:
Well I was with you until you said GSX...even bone stock I'd imagine you'd have hard time if the driver is decent...doesn't take much to make a 4g63 fly (and I specifically state those with this particular engine). The fact of it is that most GSX drivers aren't ballsy enough to launch their car as it should be. If they'd give it an extra 2k RPM off the line they'd be out in front of you and down the street before you got your foot on the gas :D And with just a few mods, or hell, simply cranking the boost up you can put a GSX into 13s and 12s. Granted, this doesn't really count as far as "street" goes, but I know someone who simply boosted his to high hell (27psi) and ran race gas and put down an 11.7 with intake and exhaust... Those engines are incredible, the stock bottom end can handle damn near anything you throw at it.

I have to agree. I had a Talon tsi (same as Mits. GSX) a few years ago, and would have a hard time beliving a mostly stock xj would run with it. I am not saying there are not quick xjs out there, just that a non stroked or forced injection 4.0 would have the power to make the xj pull on the 4g63.

phaythe said:
Auto or manual?
tis an automatic.
My Slowest time was 17.2. I had 1/2 tank of gas. Then the next day i went with a little less than 1/4 tank. I could get better times if I woudl have taken out the spare and took off my tube bumper. The funny thing about it is that my girlfriend taped it from the grandstands, and ya can hear my M/t hum down the strip. XD
My buddy has a 93 Ram Charger 318c.u. w/ 1 ton suspension that was running 17.6.
There was a Grand Chero running 17.5. It looked pretty much stock and such.

A couple of weeks after I ran that [email protected] 1/8 mile, I did a [email protected] 1/4 mile with more than 3/4 tank of gas and no weight reduction.

258hp@4800/320lbft@3200, 1/4 mile = [email protected], 0-60 = 5.9secs
Websites - Jeep 4.0 Performance, 4.6L Stroker Build-Up, Dino's Jeep Tricks

phaythe said:

I'd have to agree! Watch out for those Talon's and GSX's or the Evo, oh the too loud SRT-4! I've driven stock GSX's and they're not all that quick, some are slow! BUT, put a manual boost control and a downpipe on and it'll awake a lil beast! I saw a buddy click off a 11.4 on a stock looking Talon with a stock bottom end! Crazy! Any turbo'd rig, gas or diesel has crazy power potential! It's funny because all of the guys I know that are known for having rowdy V-8 cars are starting to mess with these lil 4 poppers. You'd better bet that some of them are going to be ridiculously fast, or they wouldn't waste the time messing with them. It's all about lite cars and 9,000 rpms! I wish my 4 liter had VTEC:)

Last edited:
FUNKYTEE5 said:
I wish my 4 liter had VTEC:)

...and a turbo! DC should make a straight 6 for the Jeep. The Trailblazer I6 would be the target. Straight sixes have all of the advantages of 4 cylinders, but with 2 extra cylinders. Those advantages make all of the difference.

*First, one head is better than two. One head is cheaper than two heads on the V6. Wanna buy 4 cams to hotrod your 6 cylinder engine? Me neither. One head is lighter than two. Fewer parts. The engine is also narrower. More room on the sides for intake and exhaust manifolds...and turbos.:heart: Narrow is good, wide sucks.

*Longer is better. The only downside to a modern I6 is that you have to cram it in between the firewall and the radiator. So don't. Put the radiator(s)somewhere else. BMW has proven that an automobile designed around the length of a straight 6 can look beautiful. A front/mid-engined Jeep with a long hood and tires pushed to the front corners would be just perfect.

*Supra size me. Straight sixes and turbos go together like peas and carrots. The exhaust pulses are ideal for a turbo. There is only one bank to deal with. Do what the Supra did, but with and extra liter of displacement.

The situation as I see it:
I've got a '99 XJ Sport 4.0 with $35.00 (EBay) performance filter assembly and a $25.00 (Parts Store) glasspack muffler (you wouldn't know it from a FlowMaster) running 30x9.50 BFG A/T KO's under a stock suspension. Nothing around here has beat me off the line so far at the red lights, and I love to laugh as the ricer guys scowl and their girlfriends stare. Nothing my stock (so far) supsension will clear on the trail has ever stopped me, and I can pull an H2 out of the ditch while still getting 19 MPG on average. Granted, I'm not taking any S-turns at 65 mph, but I can make it up on the straightaways. If the point is to PO the ricers...it's done.

Oh, yeah...5 speed. Heck with an automatic.

Then again, I haven't added two hundred pounds of fiberglasss to my vehicle, either.

Last edited:
I have been a mopar fan since I was 18(43years ago). I would go with a
built 440 with a good roller cam and 2 4s and good head work. Should put out
about 500 to 600 HP. That is usually enough for the back streets. Use a 727 torqueflite with a linelock and a 3500 stall convertor. Have fun!!!
Big O

Back