• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Things to do before the Crawl.....

Today:

Load MJ on trailer and tie down. DONE

start setting out clothes etc DONE

Tomorrow:

finish packing and put stuff in jeep STARTED

load little RZR 170 into dodge bed

Friday:

Work till noon (hopefully no later)

take Calvin to RC shop for tranny gears in his SCX10

Fuel up dodge

hook dodge to trailer

Watch TV and fall asleep

Saturday:

Roll out at ~ 5 AM (maybe earlier)

ETA in Harlan 5 PM ish Saturday evening

Quote:
Originally Posted by 043500 View Post
It's a doozy. I'm hoping we'll set a record this year though...so far we're at a best of 13.5 hours one way.

I may beat you, not that I am happy about it. Coming from Wisconsin...

LOL...my drive is 695 miles 1 way...CABZ is coming from Orlando...so his is about 770.

We'll gladly give you the 'long distance award' this year if you beat that...you deserve it!!

mine still isnt driveable. can't figure out the effing steering. keep getting air in the system somehow. less than a week left lol. was hoping to test and tune the rear end before hand but not looking like it will be possible.

Air in the system or a bad pump?

The test didn't go so well so in an effort to figure out why the passenger side wouldn't unlock, I ended up taking the locker back out. I reassembled everything and had the same issue. After taking a small screwdriver and prying the side gear teeth apart a bit I got it to unlock. I then was able to get both sides to unlock without using the screwdriver.

I guess I'm good to go?

Check to make sure the tolerance between the two drivers is within spec. I had the same problem and had to shim both sides to get it to work properly.

I'm sure you read this but here is the specs.
The distance between the halves of the [FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]LOCK-RIGHT[/FONT][/FONT], that is, between the two drivers, should be about 5/32-inch (.152-inch, or 3,86-mm). The tolerance limits are between .145-inch (3,68-mm) and .170-inch (4,32-mm). If this distance is much over .170-inch, either the case is quite worn or the thrust washers are missing or are too thin and the problem should be corrected before proceeding further.

Check to make sure the tolerance between the two drivers is within spec. I had the same problem and had to shim both sides to get it to work properly.

I'm sure you read this but here is the specs.
The distance between the halves of the [FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]LOCK-RIGHT[/FONT][/FONT], that is, between the two drivers, should be about 5/32-inch (.152-inch, or 3,86-mm). The tolerance limits are between .145-inch (3,68-mm) and .170-inch (4,32-mm). If this distance is much over .170-inch, either the case is quite worn or the thrust washers are missing or are too thin and the problem should be corrected before proceeding further.

According to the directions, it made a special point to be sure to remove the shims from the case when removing the clutches. When it talks about reassembly, it doesn't say anything about reusing them. They do include a steel block to use as a gauge. If the narrow side will go in, it is considered within spec. If the wide part goes it, something is wrong. I think if I put the shims back in the narrow side of the block wouldn't fit either.

I've tried calling PowerTrax and can't get a tech to call me back.

According to the directions, it made a special point to be sure to remove the shims from the case when removing the clutches. When it talks about reassembly, it doesn't say anything about reusing them. They do include a steel block to use as a gauge. If the narrow side will go in, it is considered within spec. If the wide part goes it, something is wrong. I think if I put the shims back in the narrow side of the block wouldn't fit either.

I've tried calling PowerTrax and can't get a tech to call me back.

Ed, you need to reuse those shims. I just installed an Aussie this week in a cherokee and first put it in without the shims (thats what I get for not reading the directions), measured specs before buttoning it up and it was out of spec on the large side; dissassembled and reassembled with shims and it is within spec.

Jim

Ed, you need to reuse those shims. I just installed an Aussie this week in a cherokee and first put it in without the shims (thats what I get for not reading the directions), measured specs before buttoning it up and it was out of spec on the large side; dissassembled and reassembled with shims and it is within spec.

Jim

Third times a charm? Uggh!

Third times a charm? Uggh!

I talked to a Tech at Richmond Gear and they confirmed the No-Slip 8.8 locker doesn't reuse the thrust washers. I told him what all I had done and how the gauge tests went and he said it was installed correctly and that I was good to go.

WhoooooHoooooo!!

I also got a haircut so I can look good for you guys.

I will have more beard and hair than you have ever seen me with...

mac 'I might need a name tag' gyvr

Be able to drive: done!

Get dad out of hospital: done!

Looks like we are going to cabin it: cabin reserved!

Excursion:
Fix cruise: parts ordered; fixed!
Rebuild driveshaft: need to pull it: pulled it tonight -hope to pick it up today!
Replace rear brake line: need to do: it's done because I was looking at the old line left in it!
New tires: maybe: prolly gonna run these
Needs at hitch, inspected tonight and it's rusted out!-hitch replaced!
Oil change: done!

Trailer:
Kick the tires: need to do...

Golf cart:
Kick tires and fluid check: todo...

Jeep:
Fill with gas and check fluid levels: todo...
rear diff leaking: fixed!

Hope to have EX out of the garage tonight, its been in there all week...and it isn't a small truck.

Still trying to nail down a house/dog sitter.

mac 'slowly but surely' gyvr

after my DT trip...

Fix/replace windshield: Done!
Rear Bar tubes: Done!
Repair Fuel Pump Ground: Done!
Taillights/fix headlight switch: Done!
fix rock lights on front: Done!
fire extinguishers: Done!
tool storage tie downs: Done!
Mount spare driveshaft's: Done!
New tie rod: Done!
35 spline stubs and flanges: $$$ Says on hold....
tune up, fuel filter: Done!
air filter: Done!
plugs:
address noise under hood, suspect e fan It went away..... Done!
maybe move power steering cooler to the rear cage:
steering column:
Fix breaking leaf spring mounts Done!
Relocate Battery to rear: Done!
On board air: HERE! Mount in production!

I will have more beard and hair than you have ever seen me with...

mac 'I might need a name tag' gyvr

mac 'Chewbacca' ryvr

Dads back in the hospital, my inner passengers side axle seal is blown out and my driveshaft isn't done for the ex..,

mac 'crappy day' gyvr

Sorry Mac. Get your Dad well.

Back