• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

things I hate today...

yeah when we got them on the KJ i noticed a HUGE improvement in handleing and response over the stock goodyears (which were crap). I was very impressed with them in the rain, and I did some very tame off roading (little mud trail around the corner) and I was pretty impressed with how they handled. Did most of the trail in 2wd, which in the past, i'd need 4x4 to get through.

If you have the option, Costco is the best place to get them. Saved about $75 through them, and got free rotations and balancing for the life of the tires on them, which will pay for its self in no time. Got the 693's on my Jeep through them too with the same deal.

Wife has REVO's on the DD XJ and loves them in the ice and snow we get every morning.

The county doesn't salt the roads around us, they use sand. In fact, it's hard to find a place where they actually salt in CA, too much damage to the streams and rivers.

Man I wish they would use sand here in NH, they only use sand on steep hills. Salt does jack squat for traction and personally i would rather drive on sand laden ice than salt saturated slush. Especially when the road crew that maintains the road around here lays the salt down for a mere 3 inches of snow.

Not to mention that because of the salt any automotive work takes 4 hours longer. Man I hate salt.

Interesting. Are there public links to studies on this environmental damage? Would be nice to pester my MP and MPP with them.

In Norway and Sweden they don't salt the roads. They use split basalt, kind of a fine gravel with points and sometimes a mix of sand and saw dust. They put it down in layers and it melts right in with the snow, actually pretty good traction. They send a sweeper through after the snow melts, clean the gravel and use it again. Better than salt, but kind of hard on the paint job. They also drive spikes a lot. I went to Nord Cap (300-400 miles north of the arctic circle) one year with my motorcycle, got as far north as possible and swapped out my street tires with spikes, worked pretty good. On the way back, swapped back to my street tires, good people up there.

Last edited:
Root Moose said:
Interesting. Are there public links to studies on this environmental damage? Would be nice to pester my MP and MPP with them.

I'm sure.....I'll check.

We just came back from one of the local shopping malls (lunch, food court, ugh - my colon hates me).

The pavement outside is snow white - with salt. We haven't seen a snow fall in 2-3 days.

Dig the sig.

Bent said:
Salt on the roads? :dunno: Never seen it. Sure looks like I'm missing out; damnit!

:sunshine:
Rust, lots of it
RadarsView2.jpg

This car was really clean and nearly rust free when I bought it 8 years before this pic was taken.

If I could show you the underside of my Jeep, you would see that the Unibody is in perfect shape, no rust,

But if you look closer, you will see that every other piece of metal on the thing is covered with rust.

today I got a look at the linkages to the transmission and transfercase for the first time- they are so rusty they look like they could fail at any minute.

my brake lines are corroded.'

the axle tubes are covered in the stuff

every bushing on the Jeep needs replacing.

the rust looks like it is alive on my driveshafts and u-joints.

every single bolt that is exposed to the outside is completely rusted in place, and will break when I try to remove it. (I'm not looking forward to installing a lift, or doing any mantinance whatsoever on the thing)

Why can't they just use sand in the chicago area?

Because people with vehicles that should not be driven in the winter need a perfectly dry road to get to work in the morning.

I can't wait to move away from here..

B

LazarusMJ said:
Man I wish they would use sand here in NH, they only use sand on steep hills. Salt does jack squat for traction and personally i would rather drive on sand laden ice than salt saturated slush. Especially when the road crew that maintains the road around here lays the salt down for a mere 3 inches of snow.

That's why my father calls the salt spreader "the ice maker" - invariably, the salt melts the junk on the road, and then it refreezes smoother than polished glass with a coat of teflon (and you can usually get more traction on the teflon).

I'm with you - go back to sand and cinders.

Rob

Back