• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Nail Salon

are you going to do a c-clip eliminator?
Phase2

Nice to see some progress!! Coming along nicely!

How long have you had your Deka battery? I got one over the summer and have been pretty happy with it. Although my electrical system still bogs down a lot when I'm running my winch...
I had to check my receipt, November 2009. I'm still extremely pleased with it. I've done a good amount of winching with it, and it's still going strong. On hard pulls my volt gauge always bogged down as well. The alternator can only supply so many amps, and your winch will suck that up quick and rely on the battery for the rest. I was shocked to read my Warn pulls almost 500A at full load. :eek:

Got my control arms and track bar joints rebuilt and painted today. They're ready for install.

If you love it, lube it.
P1010258.jpg

We'll see long these ones last. :rolleyes:
P1010261.jpg

Superflex's back together with new races installed.
P1010262.jpg

The UPS guy is one of the few dudes I actually look forward to seeing. He brought me some stuff today. I contacted Complete Offroad last week and ordered up some 4.56's, install kits, and a Detroit for the 8.8. I used them on the last set of axles I built, and they continue to offer great prices and service today.
P1010256.jpg

Took a look at the Detroit. Does something look out of place?
P1010267.jpg

One of the case bolts was bent, and finger tight in the hole. I don't see how that could have passed quality control. I picked up a new bolt today, but it's a bit short so I'll call Eaton tomorrow and have them send me a replacement or two.
P1010271.jpg

ahh ya shit happens when you mass produce things like that.

Got my control arms and track bar joints rebuilt and painted today. They're ready for install.

If you love it, lube it.
P1010258.jpg

We'll see long these ones last. :rolleyes:
P1010261.jpg

Superflex's back together with new races installed.
P1010262.jpg

The UPS guy is one of the few dudes I actually look forward to seeing. He brought me some stuff today. I contacted Complete Offroad last week and ordered up some 4.56's, install kits, and a Detroit for the 8.8. I used them on the last set of axles I built, and they continue to offer great prices and service today.
P1010256.jpg

Took a look at the Detroit. Does something look out of place?
P1010267.jpg

One of the case bolts was bent, and finger tight in the hole. I don't see how that could have passed quality control. I picked up a new bolt today, but it's a bit short so I'll call Eaton tomorrow and have them send me a replacement or two.
P1010271.jpg

Yeah you should check those bolts for sure. When I got mine all the bolts where loose. I actually pulled it all the way apart and put it back together, just to check everything inside.:read: Took looking at the diagrams a few times to make sure it was together right. It is, it works great.

What a slap in the face! Thanks Eaton. Not to long ago I was defending Eaton for their quality and workmanship trying to convince people to buy US. And this is what we get.

Dustin I thought you were a Grizzly locker guy?

What a slap in the face! Thanks Eaton. Not to long ago I was defending Eaton for their quality and workmanship trying to convince people to buy US. And this is what we get.

I asked this very question. And his explination was my exact thought aswell
Yukon makes a great product but the Detroit is older and "proven".
Yukons grizzly used to be priced competitively, but Yukon upped pricing, flat out $10 more for an eaton background. Was an easy choice

im happy to see so much coming together with this rig so quickly Dustin. I was a lottle worried it was going to take much longer for this process to take off. im ready to see you on the trails!

I would have absolutely no issue with running a Grizzly. I've still yet to hear about any failures. They're basically the same design as a Detroit, with a few changes (some will say for the better).

I chose to go Detroit because Yukon doesn't offer a Grizzly for the 8.8. Prices have also gone up. I paid $420 for my old D30 Grizzly (May 2011) through Darrell, and today it's almost the same price as a Detroit ($540).

Either way they're both full case lockers, and should be able to take a good beating.
im happy to see so much coming together with this rig so quickly Dustin. I was a lottle worried it was going to take much longer for this process to take off. im ready to see you on the trails!
Pretty much the only thing left to pull the trigger on is lift springs, and shocks. Tires and wheels are going to be a pretty good chunk of change as well.

I just can't wait till this thing is wheelable. I hate working on Jeeps. I'd much rather be wheeling the piss out of them. It's what we build them for right?

Poly Performance had the cheapest pricing on Advanced Adapters SYE's. I called them to see if they had any upcoming sales (usually something around 10% off), and they ended up making me a great deal on one with free shipping. Its certainly worth it to shop around and talk with vendors!

So this guy showed up today...
P1010277.jpg

I also received a gift certificate to West Coast Differentials at the Piston's Wild Cruise-In event last year. I put that to use toward a matching front Detroit.
P1010276.jpg

Mmmm... traction.
P1010275.jpg

Now why did I choose a front Detroit and not a selectable? Price was not a factor. My decision was based on the fact that I like reliability and simplicity in my rig. I don't want to have to rely on air lines, o-rings, solenoids, compressors, cables, or wire connections. It's a peace of mind knowing when I pull the transfer case lever, I'm going to have traction to both tires no matter what. We've all seen people pull up to obstacles, and quickly discover their lockers aren't working. That's not an option in my book. I don't want an o-ring failure half way through the Rubicon, or have to deal with a compressor issue while on a snow run at 2AM.

Will it effect turning? It won't behave like an open front under power, but from my experience running a front Grizzly and Aussie in the past, it's not that bad. I'll also be running a 2Low kit again, so 80% of the time on the trail I won't even have power going to the front end. This takes stress off the axle, and steering.

This build up has now become a box and sticker collection thread.

youve got a sweet set of parts going on right now. when you get ready to put things together(besides gears) let me know and ill come back down to help you out and get this thing ready. do you have a time in mind that youd like to start getting it trail ready by?

youve got a sweet set of parts going on right now. when you get ready to put things together(besides gears) let me know and ill come back down to help you out and get this thing ready. do you have a time in mind that youd like to start getting it trail ready by?
The problem with all the parts is they kind of have to go on at the same time. The lift can't be installed because of the 8.8. The 8.8 can't be installed because of the SYE. The SYE can't be installed because of the lift.

I'll probably end up setting aside a few days, and doing a mass build on it. Stay tuned, might happen next month. Depends how yours goes. :D

oh have you decided on a set of bumpers yet?
TORXfab. I want to get it to wheeling status first. Then I'll start on making a set of bumpers for it. Winch front, and tire carrier rear.

The problem with all the parts is they kind of have to go on at the same time. The lift can't be installed because of the 8.8. The 8.8 can't be installed because of the SYE. The SYE can't be installed because of the lift.

I'll probably end up setting aside a few days, and doing a mass build on it. Stay tuned, might happen next month. Depends how yours goes. :D

TORXfab. I want to get it to wheeling status first. Then I'll start on making a set of bumpers for it. Winch front, and tire carrier rear.

ah yeah i getchya. hopefully we get some good luck and things go off without too much of a hitch when we do mine:fuse: Ill be glad to come back down and help, as long as its a weekend. i think there is a long weekend in feburary if im not mistaken(fed holiday) so that might be a good weekend if your ready.

One of the things I like a lot about TORX, is how he responds to questions in threads.
Always solid and sound thought processes, each decision he describes sounds like the obvious answer.

Little update, I got through to Eaton today. Basically Eaton in the US is just a customer service center. I was told if I needed a replacement bolt it would have to be ordered from MEXICO! The parts are brought from Mexico, and then assembled in Canada, where they are then sent back to the US to be distributed. Needless to say that was very reassuring to hear after dropping some coin on their products. :rolleyes:

As for the bolt, it's a standard grade 8 5/16-18. Just need to track one down locally with the right thread length. Also, that particular bolt was left loose on purpose because it retains the cross pin. It comes with a thread locker applied, and torquing it down would destroy the thread locker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Little update, I got through to Eaton today. Basically Eaton in the US is just a customer service center. I was told if I needed a replacement bolt it would have to be ordered from MEXICO! The parts are brought from Mexico, and then assembled in Canada, where they are then sent back to the US to be distributed. Needless to say that was very reassuring to hear after dropping some coin on their products. :rolleyes:

As for the bolt, it's a standard grade 8 5/16-18. Just need to track one down locally with the right thread length. Also, that particular bolt was left loose on purpose because it retains the cross pin. It comes with a thread locker applied, and torquing it down would destroy the thread locker.

Well, theres modern American business at its finest. Im sure you can find that bolt at ace or a tacoma screw or the equivelant down there.

explain the last two sentences to me please. i understand the words infividually, but together in the fashion of which youve used them, im lost.

explain the last two sentences to me please. i understand the words infividually, but together in the fashion of which youve used them, im lost.
Dick Terms: The bolt was left loose on purpose because it has to come out anyways for the cross pin to be removed. The cross pin gives you access to the c-clips. I would imagine your 8.25 Detroit has a similar design. Since thread locker is applied from the factory, they leave it loose so you don't destroy the thread locker by unbolting it to remove the cross pin.

C-clip what's that :puke:

Back