• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Nail Salon

I've put well over 500 miles on the rear diff, so I felt it was time to do a diff flush. Fluid resembled an iced mocha, but all looked good.

23697A31-4744-4E56-B7A7-7909D05B3CC7.jpg

Took a hair over two quarts on level ground, but the spec is six pints. Backed the Jeep up an incline, and dumped another quart in. Gotta keep that pinion hydrated. :thumbup:

On a different note, I'm getting itchy to start a new project.

I've noticed the rear end is seeing a good amount of axle wrap under load on climbs. This is pretty common on lifted XJ's, and is what kills leafs over time. At OTC there were a few times where the rear end actually started hopping (Airplane Hill). I want to fix this, and I'm thinking a anti-wrap bar is the answer. Anyone have any experience with them?

I'm thinking about building a shackle style anti-wrap bar that utilizes three poly bushings (two at the axle, one at the shackle) and a heim. Just got to figure out a rear cross-member, and some dimensions.

Also, I have hydro assist on my mind. My steering works great as is, but when I up my shoe size that will likely be a different story. Debating on going with a Surplus Center ram or name brand PSC / Howe. Tapping a factory box, or going name brand PSC / Howe. Modifying a stock pump, or spending the coin on a PSC / Howe high flow pump. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews for both sides.

Lots of researching going on! In the meantime though I'm ready to wheel. :cheers:

I've put well over 500 miles on the rear diff, so I felt it was time to do a diff flush. Fluid resembled an iced mocha, but all looked good.

23697A31-4744-4E56-B7A7-7909D05B3CC7.jpg

Took a hair over two quarts on level ground, but the spec is six pints. Backed the Jeep up an incline, and dumped another quart in. Gotta keep that pinion hydrated. :thumbup:

On a different note, I'm getting itchy to start a new project.

I've noticed the rear end is seeing a good amount of axle wrap under load on climbs. This is pretty common on lifted XJ's, and is what kills leafs over time. At OTC there were a few times where the rear end actually started hopping (Airplane Hill). I want to fix this, and I'm thinking a anti-wrap bar is the answer. Anyone have any experience with them?

I'm thinking about building a shackle style anti-wrap bar that utilizes three poly bushings (two at the axle, one at the shackle) and a heim. Just got to figure out a rear cross-member, and some dimensions.

Also, I have hydro assist on my mind. My steering works great as is, but when I up my shoe size that will likely be a different story. Debating on going with a Surplus Center ram or name brand PSC / Howe. Tapping a factory box, or going name brand PSC / Howe. Modifying a stock pump, or spending the coin on a PSC / Howe high flow pump. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews for both sides.

Lots of researching going on! In the meantime though I'm ready to wheel. :cheers:

you can also do a fill by partially pulling a shaft and dumping the gear oil in the axle tube

I love that axle Dustin, wish I had one!

I don't know anything about traction bars, mainly cause I haven't had any wrap issues (that I've noticed, likely because I just haven't pushed it hard enough) but the boostwerks guy (whom I've copying rear suspension wise) had a build going but it's been quiet lately.

I'm looking at hydro assist myself, for a lot of reasons, but mostly because of my cracking frame, I'd like to be able to relieve some of that stress in that area, plus I have a hard time turning the iroks in 4 when I'm in the rocks.

My plan is psc, and after talking with chad and a few other Xj guys, I want to keep my Xj style box. So, since I have an extra box, I've discovered it's quite cost effective to buy the 'box rebuild/tap and ram/hoses' kit and the 'pump and resi' kit. Really not that expensive, plus if you have a spare box like I do it will minimize down time

Dustin, maybe I missed it in this thread but what horn/noise maker did you end up installing?
I kept the noise maker on the down low, but it's an Abrams 100W Siren unit with a compact speaker. It was a kit deal from Amazon, but I don't see it listed anymore. It's decent quality, and plenty loud for what I'll use it for, going for the pass!

Speaking of build threads......
Been awfully quiet over here!

Any updates?

Speaking of build threads......
Been awfully quiet over here!

Any updates?
Not a damn thing! :(

Summer kind of killed my motivation to work on the Jeep. Just too damn hot, trails were closed for fire danger, and everyone was busy with other stuff. Aside from a diff flush, and washing it, I haven't turned a wrench on it.

August rolled around and I was itching to wheel, so I hooked up with Piston's Wild at Elbe Hills for a day trip. It was great to get out and wheel again.
DSCN1984.jpg

DSCN1971.jpg

Nail Salon did awesome all day, and drove home with the cruise set. I can't really complain.
DSCN1970.jpg

I'm tossing around some ideas for some winter upgrades, but for the time being I plan to just keep on wheeling it as is. Did a little prep work today for an upcoming trip, which consisted of tightening some loose hatch hinge bolts, replacing a missing door panel bolt, and respooling my winch line. She's cherry!

:D

Glad it's ready to get the snot beat out of it!

Quick question, Mikes comment about pitman arms got me thinking....
Since my steering setup is essentially identical to yours, what are you using for a pitman arm? Stock Xj still? Just wondering incase I need to grab another pitman arm.

:D

Glad it's ready to get the snot beat out of it!

Quick question, Mikes comment about pitman arms got me thinking....
Since my steering setup is essentially identical to yours, what are you using for a pitman arm? Stock Xj still? Just wondering incase I need to grab another pitman arm.
Oh, we like it rough. :D

Stock XJ arm. You want your pitman arm to match the arc of the drag link at the knuckle. In my case my hi-steer arm is drilled at 5.5" from the ball joint, which matches up with the stock XJ 5.5" pitman arm.

I bet you do!

Ok, makes sense. I'll have to measure my hi steer arms then! Thanks

Dustin, do you by chance remember (roughly) how tall your rear shock 'hoops' are?
I'm trying to figure out if I have enough tube laying around to make some, or if I need to get more....

Dustin, do you by chance remember (roughly) how tall your rear shock 'hoops' are?
I'm trying to figure out if I have enough tube laying around to make some, or if I need to get more....
Total guess here, but I'd say I used about 6ft of tube for both sides.

They're around 10" above the floor if I remember right. Add in the extra length for the frame tie-ins and the radius of the bend, and there's probably close to 30" of tube per side.

How's your hoopty coming along?

That's what I was guesstimating. I have just a hair over 6' of tube so hopefully that will be enough.

It's coming, slowly. Finally got everything back together up front, brown dog stuff, oil pan gasket, rear main, oil filter adapter blah blah blah. Got my leafs, about to set those up so I can take measurements and get the front going. Still waiting on heims and shocks, and I need to start in on the rear fender stretch and the lower cut and fold and the shock hoops. Should be rolling in time for thanksgiving.

I've just been working so much, it's been hard to find time, plus I got a little side tracked/burnt out for a minute but I'm back in the groove. It's coming.... I'll start up a thread one of these days, when it gets a little closer

Anything new on the nail salon?

That's what I was guesstimating. I have just a hair over 6' of tube so hopefully that will be enough.

It's coming, slowly. Finally got everything back together up front, brown dog stuff, oil pan gasket, rear main, oil filter adapter blah blah blah. Got my leafs, about to set those up so I can take measurements and get the front going. Still waiting on heims and shocks, and I need to start in on the rear fender stretch and the lower cut and fold and the shock hoops. Should be rolling in time for thanksgiving.

I've just been working so much, it's been hard to find time, plus I got a little side tracked/burnt out for a minute but I'm back in the groove. It's coming.... I'll start up a thread one of these days, when it gets a little closer

Anything new on the nail salon?

Looking forward to seeing the changes!

Ha! My junk hasn't moved in two months. I've just been nerding out working on the MJ. We'll see what this winter entails, and maybe I'll move forward with some winter upgrades. It's been kinda nice just saving money though.

Ha you and me both!

I know exactly what you mean about saving money too! That's half the reason I was stalling for a bit, had to try to get my bank account back up to an acceptable level. I spent way too much money way too fast! It's easy to do....

I always forget you've got the mj to keep you busy too. You guys sure do some nice work there! Love seeing the updates

It's been said that one of the 4.0L's weak points is in the OEM block brackets. It's not uncommon to actually shear the passenger side bracket clean off, which then creates a mess of problems. While running the Rubicon a few years ago, one of the XJ's in our group did just that, making for a long slow trip out.

There are upgraded brackets available from companies such as Brown Dog or SFR, both NAXJA sponsors. However, my issue has always been cost. Call me cheap, but I couldn't justify spending $300 on two pieces of steel.

I recently picked up a donor motor for my stock XJ (that's another story) from SpecFab. Upon getting the donor motor pulled we discovered the passenger side block bracket had a sheared off bolt, and a half assed booger weld repair was added by the previous owner. Since the motor was a solid runner, I figured this would finally give me a reason to make a few sets of heavy duty engine block brackets. I'd be basing my design off the Brown Dog brackets, and had a pretty big advantage in doing so. ;)

I swung by Eastside Steel, and picked up a piece of surplus .250" plate for $25. Used the porta-band and rough cut out the bases of the brackets.
F922E7DC-B8BB-4D88-AF18-E1090D048690.jpg

Tacked the individual pieces together, and then set off to lay out and drill the mounting holes.
FF9E754F-7E96-4675-AFE1-B50EB1C2BB72.jpg

The passenger side motor mount features a slotted mounting hole, I'm guessing for some adjustability. I cut out some side tabs, and then milled the mounting slot.
C3166CC5-B2B5-4BA8-BE45-A87EBF5C077A.jpg

Since the main plate of the brackets are flat, tubing is used to take up the space between the plate and individual bosses on the block. I did some measuring, and set off on parting off the individual spacers I'd need.
88029B4D-7DB0-4ABD-A53B-651814A843D1.jpg

Perfection.
A2B40535-B11B-46AA-A90D-EC289084604D.jpg

All my spacers made up.
AB1C068A-66BA-4176-AF45-605F07BAF180.jpg

I then added some custom TORXfab touches to the brackets, and fabbed up the remaining tabs and gussets. Then it was onto final fitment and tacking the pieces together.
8D8B7A34-39EF-4386-9DF7-C2281A1FB9A4.jpg

You can also see I turned a 3.25" steel spacer to bolt in during welding to keep everything true.
9927B3C3-5CBB-45CC-8CA1-F75CC03C12F5.jpg

Turned up the heat, and burned it together.
55C8594C-012F-4933-9067-DA1611B3B636.jpg

Hot.
274A6695-4908-4D23-A824-7BA68998C3B4.jpg

Test fit went well on the mock up block. The driver side is all 3/8-16 bolts, and one random M12x1.25.
6285FD1B-FFE7-44F8-8B75-5254C87D43AB.jpg
\

Repeat above steps two more times.
DBC9D5AD-162D-443A-B6F5-67855F420859.jpg

Fancy brackets don't do much good just sitting on the work bench, so I set on installing a set on the Nail Salon. Start by removing the motor mounts, and stock block brackets.
B08CAF94-AD62-4469-91DC-610A931949E7.jpg

TORXfab vs OEM.
7E13C347-C35A-4C5A-B795-9E7B7983277D.jpg

Driver side went in pretty easily. Tossed some fresh paint on my TORXfab motor mounts, and then torqued it all down.
210ECC87-38A3-4772-BF2C-615AA81595B6.jpg

Passenger side is a complete pain in the ass. Alternator needs to be moved out of the way, coil mount needs to be reversed, and it's all in a nice tight space. Got it all dialed in though. I still need to pick up some new 1/2" through bolts to call if officially done.
AEACEB63-F061-4236-9DAD-8B58C1598A5D.jpg

All in all this was a fun project, and it'll be nice knowing my engine isn't going to part ways with the Jeep unexpectedly.

Got a few more little projects lined up, and then it's time to wheel this pile!

Last edited:
Torx quality work and a great write up as always. One question. The milling machine is in your bathroom? I noticed some nice clean tile on the walls behind it. Again great job and keep up the great work and write ups.

Back