• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Stove thread

Customer is saying we're having issues at one of my accounts, which is true. Asks for solutions. I point out things that they're not doing that are causing some of the issues. Instantly those become unimportant and irrelevant, despite the fact that they are both. Sometimes I hate people.

Customer is saying we're having issues at one of my accounts, which is true. Asks for solutions. I point out things that they're not doing that are causing some of the issues. Instantly those become unimportant and irrelevant, despite the fact that they are both. Sometimes I hate people.

i got a meeting coming up today with our production team that is going to go exact like that mainly because they do not want to do the work that will be involved and have to admit that they are currently not doing a good job

Ribs and Mac n cheese fo lunch at work

WiFi question

I have a Rosewill RNX-N300RT router. It's a fine router but I want WiFi over my entire yard. It has 2x 5dBi non-removable antennas, not sure how much power is getting pumped into them but I'm guessing 50mW or so. I can get a weak signal at the other end of the house from the router, but that's not good enough for me.

I'm familiar with the differences between bridges, access points, repeaters, and boosters but can't decide which one is going to do the job with the least $.

Option 1: I could put an access point on the other end of the house and that would be fine. Live with crappy or no reception in the garage until I update the service out there, run CAT5 from the house to garage, and put another AP there later. This might be the cheapest.

Option 2: Get a new router with removable antennas and put a 1W, 5dBi antenna on the router. Clients should see the wifi really well, but I don't know if the wifi will hear the clients wimpy little antennas everywhere.

Help?

I have this in my garage:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HSQAIQU/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_dp_1

Works perfect out of the box, no need to run cat 5 out there.

Get a few of those and put one at the router, one at the other end of the house, and one in the garage. Easy. They connect through your existing house electrical wiring.

The problem with long range stuff is as you said, the strength of the signal returning to the antenna. More antennas in multiple places, rather than a bigger one, is what worked best for me.

I have this in my garage:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HSQAIQU/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_dp_1

Works perfect out of the box, no need to run cat 5 out there.

Get a few of those and put one at the router, one at the other end of the house, and one in the garage. Easy. They connect through your existing house electrical wiring.

The problem with long range stuff is as you said, the strength of the signal returning to the antenna. More antennas in multiple places, rather than a bigger one, is what worked best for me.
Are these the things that send signal through the house wiring at super high frequencies and tiny amplitudes such that something tuned to sense in that range filters out the 120V, 60Hz but sees the signal? I know that's been done with DC current, too. I forgot about these things, thanks.

Edit: The starter kit comes with 2 units or just one? Not quite clear exactly what it is that I need.

Edit: Nevermind.

Last edited:

I don't know the exact mechanism it uses for transfer, but yeah, something like that.

The one I got (and linked) only has a base & remote, it's been a while so I forget what you need to do to add more units onto it, but I know it can be done.

I don't know the exact mechanism it uses for transfer, but yeah, something like that.

The one I got (and linked) only has a base & remote, it's been a while so I forget what you need to do to add more units onto it, but I know it can be done.

I'm sure it's in the instructions... The first step is buying them :compwork:

Meh, get a real access point (or router) and skip the gimmicky junk, IMO.
A good one should easily cover your house if you put it in that dinning/sitting area and have plenty of throughput for decent density should you have people over.

Mark - gimme a ring sometime. I can usually take calls at work unless I'm in a meeting. Hell, if you want, drop by the shop after work some night and I can give you a tour.

Got a new starter, drove it around and it didn't smoke or leak at all, went to crown and got a rear output seal for the trans and dropped the t case tonight. The seal still looks fine so I looked closer and turns out there's a hairline crack from the weep hole at the bottom up to the plug at the top wrapping around the right side of the output shaft and seal......too many clutch dumps I guess? :dunno:

except for the unbalanced driveshaft.
This is probably your issue. I found the tailhousing of the first AX15 from my MJ riddled with stress cracks when I pulled it. It may have caused my broken bellhousing on that one, too.

I've learned a lot about metallurgy in the last year working here. For instance:
- steel (and titanium) have a fatigue limit, below which amplitude you will never actually cause the part to fail.
- aluminum does not. Any level of stress or fatigue, repeated for enough cycles, will eventually cause a failure. It's just a matter of how many cycles it will take.
- cast aluminum alloys in the A300 family are fairly brittle compared to 6000 series.

We have to take this into account and compute expected stress cycles before a failure becomes even slightly probable, then spec in the POH (pilot's operating handbook) a maintenance/inspection/rebuild/replacement schedule for every significant drivetrain part that this kind of thing can occur on. Aluminum driveshaft yokes? A few billion stress cycles goes by a lot faster than you would expect.

All the cast aluminum parts (bellhousing, tailhousing, etc) are original factory parts that have been in vehicles for a decade or two now. Who knows how they've been treated, who knows how many cycles of stress they've already seen from unbalanced tires (one of mine was on the XJ that nuked two bellhousings...), bad driveshaft ujoints, etc.

Add that to my complete lack of mechanical sympathy (I did 103mph in that MJ with that transmission, with a completely unbalanced banana shaped rear driveshaft) and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the MJ's broken bellhousing was caused by that. The XJ I'm pretty sure was my fault too, most likely some issues on the back of the engine block I forgot about plus unbalanced tires shaking the crap out of it for 25k miles or so, but I won't know till I tear it apart and put a straightedge on the back of the block, it's still sitting in the corner of the yard as I've been busy as hell at work.

I still don't think it was motor mounts, but it was almost certainly something I did wrong.

So yeah, basically, fix your driveshaft balance/vibration issues or it'll probably bite you in the ass.

Who wouldn't want to miss a combined 89 horsepower dueling it out on the track?

I might have to show up for this in my new hot ride, I've got almost that many ponies all by myself.

A good one should easily cover your house if you put it in that dinning/sitting area and have plenty of throughput for decent density should you have people over.

Agree within the house, but I have a brick wall, 60 feet, a steel wall, and a framed/insulated space between the in-house router and my garage. No device is going to get back to that router unassisted, no matter how much I boost it inside.

Yes I could trench and pull 100 ft of cat-5, or I could buy a little box for $50 that worked first try and gets me 100mbps over the existing wires and supports multiple wifi devices plus a hardline connection.

Work smarter, not harder, blah blah... :)

11401392_860964057316313_5954720940963903059_n.jpg

First.

For anyone following my tire debacle, I picked up a new AT3 today, as well as road hazard for all 4 tires. Why didn't I get the road hazard in the first place you ask? Great question. The Mavis location where I bought them new (had good experience with them in the past, they have done all my tires since I've been in high school, BUT got a new manager when I put tires on the Disco) told me $100/tire for the road hazard, and that was insane to pay another $500 on top of the ~$1000 I'm already spending, so I declined. Went to a different location Mavis to replace the most recent blow out, and this store said $25/tire, and sold me the road hazard on the new and other three tires. He didn't care that they are a year old. Awesome. So hopefully this doesn't happen again but at least I'm covered now.

Still no response from Cooper, but I think I'm ok with the outcome. But this will probably be my first and only set of Coopers... besides the set on Tarah's car. Sucks, they are great tires otherwise but the lack of customer service is pretty shitty.

I didn't realize you were having a tire debacle.

It's probably mostly because they are load range E and I don't wheel my truck or anything, but I've never so much as had a flat on any of the BFGs I've run on it.

Now on the other hand, I couldn't keep a set of BFG A/Ts alive for longer than a trail run on my old XJ :laugh:. Those were load range C and I usually aired them down to 12 psi. I literally idled up to a rock at the Gutter and popped one. Couldn't believe it.

These are E, the reason I just bought another new one. The new one has like 1/32" more tread than the old ones that have 15,000 miles on them. Sidewalls look about as thick as my old BFGs.

Yeah, a good one would certainly cover the house if I put it there. Probably even my little crappy one... If these don't work, I'll probably try that route but I still can't come up with an easier way of getting a good connection out to the garage.

Back