• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Stove thread

I use an airport extreme base station and an airport express to wirelessly extend the wifi. Works great. There is no replacement for pulled cable though.

I didn't realize you were having a tire debacle.

It's probably mostly because they are load range E and I don't wheel my truck or anything, but I've never so much as had a flat on any of the BFGs I've run on it.

Now on the other hand, I couldn't keep a set of BFG A/Ts alive for longer than a trail run on my old XJ :laugh:. Those were load range C and I usually aired them down to 12 psi. I literally idled up to a rock at the Gutter and popped one. Couldn't believe it.

11/29/2008. FLATS ALL DAY LONG

004.jpg

Agree within the house, but I have a brick wall, 60 feet, a steel wall, and a framed/insulated space between the in-house router and my garage. No device is going to get back to that router unassisted, no matter how much I boost it inside.

Yes I could trench and pull 100 ft of cat-5, or I could buy a little box for $50 that worked first try and gets me 100mbps over the existing wires and supports multiple wifi devices plus a hardline connection.

Work smarter, not harder, blah blah... :)
I get that, but I was talking more about Mr. Anthony's case.
Yeah, a good one would certainly cover the house if I put it there. Probably even my little crappy one... If these don't work, I'll probably try that route but I still can't come up with an easier way of getting a good connection out to the garage.
We'll you've seen my house. I have one in the master bedroom.
The entire basement & garage has good signal and even all the way down to my electric meter has good enough signal to pull down 15-20mbps.
I would do that any day over spending $50 on one of those other things.

Then again now is about the worst time to buy anything wireless access point or router related if you want to be truly future 'proof' for a few years down the road. MU-MIMO has not be standardized yet nor does a chipset exist to support it. There is also a lot of work to be done in the beamforming area that AC supports. Even with a new off the shelf device now none of that matters now anyway if you still are using any cell phone or an older laptop since they don't have the tech to use any of it. The fall/winter should see a huge jump in access point WiFi tech but it will be many more months for client devices to catch up after that.

At the end of the day this is a house not a high density auditorium but still something to consider if you want the tech to last or you are paying for more than 25mbps internet access and want to take advantage of the speed.

The entire basement & garage has good signal and even all the way down to my electric meter has good enough signal to pull down 15-20mbps.

Then again now is about the worst time to buy anything wireless access point or router related if you want to be truly future 'proof' for a few years down the road. MU-MIMO has not be standardized yet nor does a chipset exist to support it. There is also a lot of work to be done in the beamforming area that AC supports. Even with a new off the shelf device now none of that matters now anyway if you still are using any cell phone or an older laptop since they don't have the tech to use any of it. The fall/winter should see a huge jump in access point WiFi tech but it will be many more months for client devices to catch up after that.

At the end of the day this is a house not a high density auditorium but still something to consider if you want the tech to last or you are paying for more than 25mbps internet access and want to take advantage of the speed.

unless you are using google fiber it will be several years before speeds from isp will catch up to the point that you need that much power plus like you said it will take even more time for client devices to even support the new standard. Plus the new tech will be extremely expensive. The cheapest MU-MIMO router right now on newegg is $180 vs going out and getting a $30-50 kit that will work just as well for your needs and then when the need is there for a bigger unit the price will have dropped and you can probably get one for under $100

I have been debating on what to do with my wireless setup to. Right now I have the router in the office which is in the front corner of the house because there was already a cable drop there and i prefer a wired connection for my desktop. Only problem is that all the walls are plaster and lath which is absorbing a lot of the signal so you get nothing 50 ft from the router

unless you are using google fiber it will be several years before speeds from isp will catch up to the point that you need that much power plus like you said it will take even more time for client devices to even support the new standard. Plus the new tech will be extremely expensive. The cheapest MU-MIMO router right now on newegg is $180 vs going out and getting a $30-50 kit that will work just as well for your needs and then when the need is there for a bigger unit the price will have dropped and you can probably get one for under $100

I have been debating on what to do with my wireless setup to. Right now I have the router in the office which is in the front corner of the house because there was already a cable drop there and i prefer a wired connection for my desktop. Only problem is that all the walls are plaster and lath which is absorbing a lot of the signal so you get nothing 50 ft from the router
Well if you have a modern laptop or even a recent cell phone you can easily reach speeds well into high cable speeds and not be at fiber speeds yet. Or file transfers between devices on the network.

I still think he is better off with a router that has good radios and a true extender if he needs it than the $50 unit.

That is actually pretty impressive range for a single router. How much did you spend on the router, if you don't mind me asking? With my $20 router and these gadgets, we have $112 into it.

See bold. None of my other tech is fancy, I just want decent connectivity and to be able to stream at least one device's worth of 1080p. At most, two devices will be streaming at once. If we both wanted to game on wifi at the same time, this would be a different conversation.

Sheep, it's your house, you can put new drops wherever you want- move that sucker to the middle of the house.

Well if you have a modern laptop or even a recent cell phone you can easily reach speeds well into high cable speeds and not be at fiber speeds yet. Or file transfers between devices on the network.

I still think he is better off with a router that has good radios and a true extender if he needs it than the $50 unit.

right but most of your load i expect that will be connecting to it will be simple web surfing and music streaming with limited number of device connections so the available bandwidth will be more than enough to handle that and unless your internal speeds are slightly higher than the internet speeds you get who cares that you have 10000x internal speed unless you are running a home media server

Sheep, it's your house, you can put new drops wherever you want- move that sucker to the middle of the house.

the router is a shitty one from version i have been tossing a few ideas around not sure what i would like to do as well.

i get little no signal in the garage and in the backyard and in the backyard it is so weak that the phone will kick in and out on the wifi that it can kill the battery. Thinking either relocate the router itself there are enough drops in the house i can do this super easily and either run a CAT5E or CAT6 to the desktop or toss in a good wireless nic. I could get a high quality router and either set it up as a bridge to the current router and use that primarily or do a simple $30 wall wort repeater in one of the bedrooms that is next to the garage and the patio

That is actually pretty impressive range for a single router. How much did you spend on the router, if you don't mind me asking? With my $20 router and these gadgets, we have $112 into it.

See bold. None of my other tech is fancy, I just want decent connectivity and to be able to stream at least one device's worth of 1080p. At most, two devices will be streaming at once. If we both wanted to game on wifi at the same time, this would be a different conversation.

It is a RT-AC66U I don't recall what I paid but looks like they are ~$150 now that there is a new version the RT-AC87U out on the market.

right but most of your load i expect that will be connecting to it will be simple web surfing and music streaming with limited number of device connections so the available bandwidth will be more than enough to handle that and unless your internal speeds are slightly higher than the internet speeds you get who cares that you have 10000x internal speed unless you are running a home media server
It makes a big difference , forget the bandwidth if the signal the client is receiving has low dB the speed AND bandwidth will be low. So if you are connecting with low signal strength and only getting 10mbps down you are wasting paying for that 50mbps down connection from Comcast/Charter/whomever was you bend you over this month. You can't even get the the point of bandwidth saturation.

Internal connections matter much more these days than in the past. Things like an appleTV suck up a bunch when mirroring a device and playing a movie, not everything functions like a Chromecast the brings the YouTube video to itself, most stream to the client, then to the broadcaster which is connected to the TV. Lots of inefficient data transfers. Plus if I want a picture from my wife's laptop on mine I want it NOW darn it not 10 seconds from now. ;)
the router is a shitty one from version i have been tossing a few ideas around not sure what i would like to do as well.

i get little no signal in the garage and in the backyard and in the backyard it is so weak that the phone will kick in and out on the wifi that it can kill the battery. Thinking either relocate the router itself there are enough drops in the house i can do this super easily and either run a CAT5E or CAT6 to the desktop or toss in a good wireless nic. I could get a high quality router and either set it up as a bridge to the current router and use that primarily or do a simple $30 wall wort repeater in one of the bedrooms that is next to the garage and the patio
As you mentioned nothing beats hardwired dependability and speed... at least yet.

We all just got put on Office365 for all our different divisions. Now I've got this Yammer thing hounding me to set up my account. Apparently it's like a corporate Facebook just within our company.

Anyone ever mess with this? The other Office365 stuff seems pretty decent so far.

i just went through converting our office to Office365. The setup is straightforward and pretty easy, it was getting everyone's outlook email changed over to a new exchange data file that was a PITA. I don't think we have Yammer though.

We all just got put on Office365 for all our different divisions. Now I've got this Yammer thing hounding me to set up my account. Apparently it's like a corporate Facebook just within our company.

Anyone ever mess with this? The other Office365 stuff seems pretty decent so far.

Yup, we have both the Google and Office suites here. Google for mail, calendar, docs, etc. So we aren't tied into Outlook for that, which is super nice. Office suite is mainly for student/faculty use but we use Yammer. It's cool, we have a bunch of groups and we can throw impromptu ideas/solutions and articles around. I'm in three groups: DoIT, TLT, and AV; each one more specific than the next, and the group gets smaller/more "familiar" bc I work closer with them so the talk is more relaxed. Its definitely a good tool. Between collab in google docs and yammer a LOT can get done behind the scenes.

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-WiFi thread

I must be lucky. I don't have much of a problem with my WiFi. Granted my garage is just below our family room. Either that or maybe I just don't use much of the available bandwidth.

I never really use my WiFi in the backyard or anything anyway.

Anyone know the size of the UCA bolts on a D30? Or what the saw size you can drill to?

Thanks, trying to remember all this stock stuff. Prev. owner just used 3/8 grade 5, fits loose in the bushings

I hope to pull my frt axle tonight. Wanna get the ram mount done this week.

10mmx1.5? 1.25 maybe? 100% positive on the diameter. Could probably slip a 3/8 in there. I wouldn't go bigger than 7/16 if you're drilling the bushing too.

The network extenders came in today. Took 10 mins to set up, most of that was me being a weetodd. Would purchase again.

Back