• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-WiFi thread

I've had the same gear oil in my front axle on my Dodge for the past 140k miles.

I've been meaning to do something about that but keep putting it off :laugh:

Don't they have some sort of vac disconnect so nothing's spinning most of the time?

It makes a really big difference. You put in any super awesome kraut fluid? I have to do a drain and refill on my trans soon, only thing fluid I haven't touched on my Rover. I changed the oil and hopefully ended my power steering leak... pulled the new hose off and checked the o-ring, it was fine, cleaned it and put it back. In the process I finally found out how to access the hose correctly.. under the hood, driver's side, from below the pump in between it and the airbox. whew.

Maybe looking at a really clean 5 spd E36 318is for my buddy this week.

I didn't notice a huge difference- brakes are really good on that car anyway- but the old fluid was filthy. The shop I took it to for a post purchase inspection noticed it didn't look great, and I put 20k more miles on the car since then, so it was definitely due. I used a power bleeder for the first time as well, which worked out pretty great. Fluid was Pentosin Super DOT4 I think? Got it in a kit from ECS Tuning. Also did the diff and trans with Redline full synth stuff. Trans seems to go into first a little easier when it's cold.

Don't know that I'd want an E36 318is- I know the E30 318is was supposed to be the poor man's M3, but I've never heard people rave about the E36 variant.

THe NAC Lots-O-WiFi thread

Probably a more fun alternative to an econobox, with pretty similar mileage. Is it going to be a project?

Nope, DD. Same buddy who bought the lifted black Disco. He had a 2002 and a nice e30 a while ago, he hates his Element and wants to get back into a cheap 3 series to DD. Might throw some wheels and suspension at it.

http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/5062799801.html

Nope, DD. Same buddy who bought the lifted black Disco. He had a 2002 and a nice e30 a while ago, he hates his Element and wants to get back into a cheap 3 series to DD. Might throw some wheels and suspension at it.

http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/5062799801.html

Doesn't look bad, minus the intake and whatever that wiring is running through the engine bay. Body looks a lot better than most E36's.

Don't they have some sort of vac disconnect so nothing's spinning most of the time?

They do. I locked my front axle out almost two years ago after replacing the vacuum diaphragm once only to have it fail less than a year later.

Even if you have the vacuum disconnect in place, the spider gears are still turning.

They do. I locked my front axle out almost two years ago after replacing the vacuum diaphragm once only to have it fail less than a year later.

Even if you have the vacuum disconnect in place, the spider gears are still turning.

Gotcha. Well if it hasn't failed in 140k, FIRI.

Blew out my driveshaft at 70 mph coming back from vt last night and I'm pretty sure I destroyed my t case at the same time, was able to shift it into 4 wheel to limp home but I don't think the rears getting power anymore and there's this ratcheting noise that sounds like teeth slipping whenever its moving......awesome!!!!

Ripping it apart this week and putting in the new leafs, trans mount, traction bar, and need to replace a u joint in the 44.

Blew out my driveshaft at 70 mph coming back from vt last night and I'm pretty sure I destroyed my t case at the same time, was able to shift it into 4 wheel to limp home but I don't think the rears getting power anymore and there's this ratcheting noise that sounds like teeth slipping whenever its moving......awesome!!!!

Ripping it apart this week and putting in the new leafs, trans mount, traction bar, and need to replace a u joint in the 44.

Was it one of the driveshafts from Friday?

Was it one of the driveshafts from Friday?

yeah wasn't the driveshafts fault though, that thing felt mint compared to the old one. Only blew out the u joint at the axle again and after it blew the driveshaft stopped whacking around and just hung there while I was in gear. Just the pinion angle, being fully loaded with the bikes, high speeds and the hills in vt killed it. Pretty sure the centering balls shot too.

That's red jeeps original ax15/242 h&t right? Been around the block once or twice.

yuuup, always had some slop in the drivetrain somewhere when you let off the gas/ get on it, you can feel something jolt around and rattle when theres no pressure on the drivetrain. Kinda just assumed it was something in the t case.

know anyone with an atlas or a 231 with a sye for sale??

first? really? slackers.

Just ordered some Mag1 full synthetic trans fluid to start changing my truck over. Same price as the castor DMIII juice, so why not?

Back