• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Post Thread aka North America Home Owners Association Thread

Hi Colin! Rick paid me a visit a week or two back for an hour or so. Was good to see him...and, he bought me a coffee.

Have you considered any of the other Jeeps? JK's are cool enough, but stupid over priced, the mileage isn't really that great, and lots of them still leak brand new. They're capable, but mehhhh.

I'm going to give it some time to see how they do, but will be watching the Renegade to see how they do as a possible next car for wifey. They start at $17 and max out fully loaded around $29k.

A buddy of mine bought his wife a new Cherokee, and kept it for himself...he loves it. I wouldn't touch one, though, until they fix the shittastic transmission problems. He's a YJ/TJ guy, and loves it over any Jeep he's had in the past.

the ZFs in the new cherokee and renegade are fine, its just bad software. they seem to be all doing ok now. i love the renegade, its a real good looking truck.

I was surprised at how much leg room there was in one when we were looking, but there is basically zero cargo room except the back seat, that was the reason we passed

What about an older liberty? Marcia's 04 had zero issues over the 105k she owned it before brakes and her 2010 with 120k still has original brakes. Short of a water pump it's all oe. Not quite a wrangler but still a jeep and fairly cheap

the ZFs in the new cherokee and renegade are fine, its just bad software. they seem to be all doing ok now. i love the renegade, its a real good looking truck.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/holy-s...ases-third-software-update-for-jeep-cherokee/ I'd give it some time to be certain. There are a few threads on jeepforum with people stating the techs found loose & broken components in their inspection.

My buddy absolutely loves his and hasn't yet experienced any issues.

Anyone know a good source for a 1k to 2k ohm, 2w, potentiometer? Look for something that has a knob in the 20-30mm range (3/4 to 1-1/8")

Radio Shack is useless.

The big reason is we plan on keeping it forever, not trading it in in 8 years for another car.

That being said, I'll be able to fix 90% of the stuff on it without needing special tools after the warranty runs out and I already know everything about it. Whatever I don't know, I'm sure there will be more than a cult following with write ups and all that.

No fancy CVTs or 9 speed autos for us, we don't want to experience any of that. Cargo room is plenty more than her sentra and we've gotten along more than ok in that dept. Yeah they're a little more than other models but not crazy more money unless you're looking at a Rubicon or something and we're not.

The only reason we're not going to get her an XJ is most of them are rotted out with 150k+ miles on them.

The big reason is we plan on keeping it forever, not trading it in in 8 years for another car.

That being said, I'll be able to fix 90% of the stuff on it without needing special tools after the warranty runs out and I already know everything about it. Whatever I don't know, I'm sure there will be more than a cult following with write ups and all that.

No fancy CVTs or 9 speed autos for us, we don't want to experience any of that. Cargo room is plenty more than her sentra and we've gotten along more than ok in that dept. Yeah they're a little more than other models but not crazy more money unless you're looking at a Rubicon or something and we're not.

The only reason we're not going to get her an XJ is most of them are rotted out with 150k+ miles on them.

Stop being logical and doing what's right for you, and start doing whatever everyone else wants!!

Anyone know a good source for a 1k to 2k ohm, 2w, potentiometer? Look for something that has a knob in the 20-30mm range (3/4 to 1-1/8")

Radio Shack is useless.

Digikey.com the only store I know of in the area is you do electronics in needham

THe NAC Lots-O-Post Thread aka North America Home Owners Association Thread

I have a 2011 not the same motor I know, but it is nice gets 22-23 highway and is fun to drive. It did go back to the dealership for a abs problem but they took care of it quickly.

Digikey.com the only store I know of in the area is you do electronics in needham
I ended up using Newark element14 after stumbling across them on Google looking up a part number I found from the site you mentioned.

Never used them before so I hope it works out well.

Just got home from driving back from new london nh, sketchiest conditions I've even driven in. Plows were doing a shitty job and my bad alignment, driveline vibes, mismatched shitty tires, lack of hydro assist, and other idiots on the road made things interesting. The rear end kicked out and losing traction to steer caught me off guard a couple times but just glad the jeep and I are back home and safe now. Terrible idea to leave so late.

THe NAC Lots-O-Post Thread aka North America Home Owners Association Thread

Word. My two biggest issues with new cars are CVTs and direct injection. Autos are serviceable and rebuildable, CVTs are paperweights when they die. Thankfully, there are not a lot of manufacturers running to CVTs, and dual clutch autos are getting more popular; which are essentially automatically shifting manuals and with two clutches will last a long time without an overhaul.

Lots of issues with direct injection... My buddy works at a BMW dealer and he says there are a lot of cars coming in with 50-60k on the first generation direct injection motors with all clogged up top ends. Once Toyota announced the new Tacomas were going to have a combo port and direct fuel injection I immediately crossed it off my list. I don't trust the tech yet.

20-25k (I think thats what you said) for a JK isn't a bad price.. thats a slightly used sport model I'm assuming? Don't cross off the WK2 off your list (I know, I know I have a buddy trying to get his Lemon'd, but that's a fully loaded one.. He had transfer case/traction control/quadra drive and air suspension issues). A WK2 Laredo with the 3.6 and ZF 8HP (which I think is a better trans than the old school MB 5G-tronic in the JK) is a great combo... yea its a V6 in a grand but its a 290HP V6. You'll get the better fuel economy and a MUCH better ride day to day than a wrangler. You'll get a lot more for your money IMHO. As far as write ups/cult following/fixes... 10 years from now you'll have the same Jeep quirks, and the same Jeep idiots telling you to swap the motor instead of tracking down some random issue. If you (or any of us here for the most part) own any car from new (or near new) you're going to maintain it well enough that you shouldn't have any problems that you didn't see coming; especially if you plan on keeping it for a long time.

My $.02

Last edited:

I was seeing mid to high 20s for a leftover model sport, yes lower 20s for a slightly used one but I would just go new with the leftover model year. We probably will do more serious shopping in August/Sept timeframe when they're trying to clear out the 2015s.

All she wants in one is power windows/locks/AC and a hard top. Nothing crazy.

WK2s don't come under $30k as far as I've seen. Fuel economy doesn't really matter as her job is 2 miles down the road, and honestly her Sentra doesn't ride that great for a car anyway.

Every 10 year old car is going to have quirks, but I would think that a JK would have simpler/easier quirks to fix than a WK2, Cherokee, Land Rover, or whatever.

Just throwing out some thoughts. The WK2s are a bit more, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could get one for the same price as a JK. Dealers have no problems moving wranglers but I'm sure you could get a deal on a grand.

I was seeing mid to high 20s for a leftover model sport, yes lower 20s for a slightly used one but I would just go new with the leftover model year. We probably will do more serious shopping in August/Sept timeframe when they're trying to clear out the 2015s.

All she wants in one is power windows/locks/AC and a hard top. Nothing crazy.

WK2s don't come under $30k as far as I've seen. Fuel economy doesn't really matter as her job is 2 miles down the road, and honestly her Sentra doesn't ride that great for a car anyway.

Every 10 year old car is going to have quirks, but I would think that a JK would have simpler/easier quirks to fix than a WK2, Cherokee, Land Rover, or whatever.

Kate works 3 miles from home, get her the most outrageous car possible, like a Hellcat or an old deuce, maybe an H1 or Viper

Back