• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Post Thread aka North America Home Owners Association Thread

I totally hear you Bill. If I had the equipment you have, I wouldn't ever look at a 1/2 ton. I don't think I'll ever own a tractor or anything though.

Yea, Bill actually needs a 3/4 ton. But for almost everyone else on this board who only tow their Jeep a couple times a year and only tow a few loads to/from home depot a 1/2 ton is more than adequate. You'll also end up with a more comfortable truck to drive every day.

I totally hear you Bill. If I had the equipment you have, I wouldn't ever look at a 1/2 ton. I don't think I'll ever own a tractor or anything though.

I think I just have low standards.

I come from a family that towed shit and plowed with a 1/2 ton SWB Ramcharger with a smogged out 440 in it :laugh:.
Low standards is right! How you are still dealing with the fill issue is beyond me! :laugh:

Seriously though; It is just like everything else.
Why have an SRT when the base model also gets you from point to point?

Yea, Bill actually needs a 3/4 ton. But for almost everyone else on this board who only tow their Jeep a couple times a year and only tow a few loads to/from home depot a 1/2 ton is more than adequate. You'll also end up with a more comfortable truck to drive every day.
Yeah. 1/2 tons have there place too.

But maybe if I give Angel this truck and trade her car toward that new new truck... Hmmm

I think a lot of you guys are confusing the NEED to drive a 3/4 ton diesel with the WANT to drive a 3/4 diesel.

No one here is a contractor towing a trailer every day or pushing the truck in a way on a semi-daily or daily basis that's truly going to reap the benefits of the 3/4 ton suspension/tow capacity of the diesel. If I'm wrong, show me the numbers to prove it. I guarantee the fuel/maintenance costs/etc do not make it worth it once those are factored in over a similar 1/2 ton gas job. Trade in value at the end of the truck's life is kind of irrelevant in this area- most of these trucks are going to rot and that's going to be a huge factor in overall value. There's a reason that dude in Upstate NY made a business out of bringing in second gen Dodges from the South to charge crazy money here for them.

Point being, a lot of you guys are driving big trucks because you like doing so. Which is cool, I'd drive a 12 valve Dodge if I could park it anywhere near I live, but it'd be a total bro-truck. I'm guilty of the same shit myself. I bought a BMW and could have gone out and bought a Mustang GT or 4th gen F body that was about the same age that would have outperformed the car in probably every way for half the cost, but I wanted the experience of driving the BMW, and I'm going to pony up and pay the extra cost for parts/service/etc because of the little emblem that's on the front. It's easy for the rest of us to sit here and poke holes in your arguments when you try to justify it monetarily, but much harder when you admit you want to drive it because you're into the truck. I think we can all understand that aspect, except for Carl. But Carl is an asshole.

EDIT: And it's not just the Jeep community- I have two guys that work for me that drive 1 ton diesels. One drives a 2012 Dodge dually so that he can pull a 5th wheel camper a couple times a summer. This dude also inherited the money for the truck, and at 60 something years old, felt the need to go out and impress everyone by dropping $100k plus on the truck/camper combo. Another guy plows driveways in the winter, but he lives outside of Providence, so once again, does he really need a 1 ton Ford 6.0 for those maybe 10 days a year the truck actually gets worked? He throws at least a couple grand a year at it just to commute and get 16 MPG.

Last edited:

That dude in NY is a scam artist, he sells junk trucks and says they're in great shape.

I think a lot of you guys are confusing the NEED to drive a 3/4 ton diesel with the WANT to drive a 3/4 diesel.

No one here is a contractor towing a trailer every day or pushing the truck in a way on a semi-daily or daily basis that's truly going to reap the benefits of the 3/4 ton suspension/tow capacity of the diesel. If I'm wrong, show me the numbers to prove it. I guarantee the fuel/maintenance costs/etc do not make it worth it once those are factored in over a similar 1/2 ton gas job. Trade in value at the end of the truck's life is kind of irrelevant in this area- most of these trucks are going to rot and that's going to be a huge factor in overall value. There's a reason that dude in Upstate NY made a business out of bringing in second gen Dodges from the South to charge crazy money here for them.

Point being, a lot of you guys are driving big trucks because you like doing so. Which is cool, I'd drive a 12 valve Dodge if I could park it anywhere near I live, but it'd be a total bro-truck. I'm guilty of the same shit myself. I bought a BMW and could have gone out and bought a Mustang GT or 4th gen F body that was about the same age that would have outperformed the car in probably every way for half the cost, but I wanted the experience of driving the BMW, and I'm going to pony up and pay the extra cost for parts/service/etc because of the little emblem that's on the front. It's easy for the rest of us to sit here and poke holes in your arguments when you try to justify it monetarily, but much harder when you admit you want to drive it because you're into the truck. I think we can all understand that aspect, except for Carl. But Carl is an asshole.

EDIT: And it's not just the Jeep community- I have two guys that work for me that drive 1 ton diesels. One drives a 2012 Dodge dually so that he can pull a 5th wheel camper a couple times a summer. This dude also inherited the money for the truck, and at 60 something years old, felt the need to go out and impress everyone by dropping $100k plus on the truck/camper combo. Another guy plows driveways in the winter, but he lives outside of Providence, so once again, does he really need a 1 ton Ford 6.0 for those maybe 10 days a year the truck actually gets worked? He throws at least a couple grand a year at it just to commute and get 16 MPG.

QFT. One of my FIL's friends bought himself a new(ish) Ford crewcab 6.0 diesel a year or so ago. He has a 30' Cruiser that he leaves in the water on a mooring, and he has a knock around 16' bowrider his wife usually plays with while he hangs out on the cruiser. He could tow the big out in/out of the water twice a year, but he doesn't. He pays someone to pull it out and winterize it, then pays him again to prep it and launch it in the spring. He does some side work and has been renovating his house but he doesn't need the huge ass truck. Another guy in that group of my FIL's friends bought the same truck, but a dually just to show how much bigger his peen is. He sold it recently, bc it didn't fit in his driveway.

I call BULLSHIT till you put it on a real dyno

DONE needs to setup another dyno day, last one got canceled. My truck should have no problem doing 400/900 at the wheels right now with my setup.

Actually most general contractors I know drive 1/2 ton trucks. Go figure. It's the tradesmen that drive the 3/4 or 1 ton trucks/vans.

I did some quick math on the matter. Maintenance costs for parts on a 3/4 ton are the same gas or diesel (tires, brakes, wheel hubs ect) They are not for a 1/2 ton so that costs for fuel only. I also think 19 mpg is pushing it for a 1/2 ton but ok. I'm not arguing that a 1/2 ton isn't any cheaper. That number also drastically changes with towing too, but we'll use your tow very little model and call that a wash.

As you can see the diesel 3/4 ton fast outpaces the gas in cost per mile for fuel and oil changes.

Take the $8395 cost of the new diesel (new 2015 Sierra 2500HD) option minus the $6125 difference in trade in (based on my truck @ 109K miles) and you have $2054 "lost". Now take the cost per mile on the 3/4 tons, the difference is a net "gain" of $1,487.50. Which makes the total cost difference $566.50. That I can swallow for the luxury of owning a diesel.

Does the dude pulling the camper 2 times a year need it? Maybe not. But from that fact the guy probably isn't a seasoned tower either and I'd rather have him in a 3/4 ton (gas or diesel) in the lane next to me on the highway than a 1/2 ton when SHTF for the sway control and brakes.

However, like I said above, the 3/4 ton is what matters more, IMO, over the gas vs diesel. I am still not sure the 1/2 ton or 1/4 ton compact truck and SUV diesels are the right thing over here. Across the pond they make sense without the EPA down their neck they can pull decent mileage numbers but over here (and add in the $$$ to go with it) I am not sure they make much sense.

Actually, for everyday driving I'd take my old regular cab short bed any day over my current truck. That thing was fun. It just took to much of a beating towing.

TruckMileageCost1.png

Last edited:

Bill your wasting your time, does Adam tow anything with a truck? And **** towing our shit with a1/2 ton the wear and tear on the suspension and trans will take its toll quickly. With that being said I'm gonna be getting a gasser, only time its gonna suck is going to NAC Fest

Bill your wasting your time, does Adam tow anything with a truck? And **** towing our shit with a1/2 ton the wear and tear on the suspension and trans will take its toll quickly. With that being said I'm gonna be getting a gasser, only time its gonna suck is going to NAC Fest
Makes sense and it won't suck. Dundy did fine other than the trailer issues.

At all points in your accurate, coherent response you were exactly on everything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now smarter for having listened to it. I award you all the points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Actually most general contractors I know drive 1/2 ton trucks. Go figure. It's the tradesmen that drive the 3/4 or 1 ton trucks/vans.

I did some quick math on the matter. Maintenance costs for parts on a 3/4 ton are the same gas or diesel (tires, brakes, wheel hubs ect) They are not for a 1/2 ton so that costs for fuel only. I also think 19 mpg is pushing it for a 1/2 ton but ok. I'm not arguing that a 1/2 ton isn't any cheaper. That number also drastically changes with towing too, but we'll use your tow very little model and call that a wash.

As you can see the diesel 3/4 ton fast outpaces the gas in cost per mile for fuel and oil changes.

Take the $8395 cost of the new diesel (new 2015 Sierra 2500HD) option minus the $6125 difference in trade in (based on my truck @ 109K miles) and you have $2054 "lost". Now take the cost per mile on the 3/4 tons, the difference is a net "gain" of $1,487.50. Which makes the total cost difference $566.50. That I can swallow for the luxury of owning a diesel.

Does the dude pulling the camper 2 times a year need it? Maybe not. But from that fact the guy probably isn't a seasoned tower either and I'd rather have him in a 3/4 ton (gas or diesel) in the lane next to me on the highway than a 1/2 ton when SHTF for the sway control and brakes.

However, like I said above, the 3/4 ton is what matters more, IMO, over the gas vs diesel. I am still not sure the 1/2 ton or 1/4 ton compact truck and SUV diesels are the right thing over here. Across the pond they make sense without the EPA down their neck they can pull decent mileage numbers but over here (and add in the $$$ to go with it) I am not sure they make much sense.

Actually, for everyday driving I'd take my old regular cab short bed any day over my current truck. That thing was fun. It just took to much of a beating towing.

TruckMileageCost1.png

My argument was for 1/2 ton gas job vs 3/4 ton diesel.

I think you're in a sweet spot for the math right now- let's use your example and say you run both 3/4 trucks to 200k miles and assume they can both get 19 MPG.

Diesel fuel cost ($1/more gallon avg)- $10,526 over gas
Service (assume you can service the gas truck for $40, diesel for $100 and you do it every 5k)- $2400 over gas

So you're at a $13,000 premium over the same gas truck by the time you go to get rid of that truck, assuming the same parts outside of normal service need to be fixed on both trucks. Will you make up this gap during its life or on trade in? Depends how many times a year you let that diesel shine by working it, and getting the MPG offset. You'd know that better than me. Does it offset the difference between a 1/2 ton gas truck? Probably not by a long shot, as your initial cost of entry should be a lot lower for a half ton.

3/4 ton argument is also becoming kind of irrelevant. Granted, I don't know what you're hauling on a daily/weekly/monthly basis so I don't know how crucial this is for you. The new F150 can be equipped to carry a 3300 pound payload and can tow 12,200 pounds. Obviously, Ford has to set up the truck to do this reliably and safely to be able to advertise this capability. 2015 F250 4x4 regular cab gas job can pull 12,500 with a 4,069 pound payload (granted, I took a quick look here so this may be a little off)- are the brakes that different? We're talking 800 pounds in payload capacity and even less in towing. The feel shouldn't be that different.

The dudes that work for me don't "need" these trucks. They're both CDL drivers that drive 80k rigs daily- they should have no problem managing a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck with a trailer behind it or plow in front of it. They argue back and forth about one getting 14 MPG while the other gets 16 MPG in what essentially function as oversized Toyota Corolla's so they can feel cool while they commute 40-50 miles daily. They're not car guys- this is simply pissing money away so they can feel good about driving a big truck. I think there are other factors at play here with these guys.

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter to me one bit if you all go out and buy 2015 6500 diesels from your favorite brand to tow around whatever you want; I'm not paying for any of it. We're all car guys at heart, you guys drive the diesels because you think they're cool. Would a Civic Si get me to work at a lower overall cost and with better MPG than a 11 year old BMW that needs premium does? Bet your ass it would. I'm guilty of the same shit. I think diesels are ****ing badass, I just enjoy poking holes in the "I need one because . . . " argument, especially when trucks in general have become ridiculously capable.

Last edited:

Yup. Also Bill, my truck gets 15 mpg (11 when towing). It ends up that the $ per mile is 86% of what the diesel costs. I know the stick does contribute to the mpg bump.

At all points in your accurate, coherent response you were exactly on everything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now smarter for having listened to it. I award you all the points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

You modified that quote....

The amount of electronic doodads on new trucks makes the "sway" argument pretty moot. All new 1500/2500/3500 trucks have sway control and TCS/ECS/EBD/ABC123 whatever. if you are towing a long ass trailer with a regular cab short bed, its obv going to suck compared to something that is 5ft longer. And believe the MPG, my buddy's 2011 Ram 1500 got 23 MPG at 75 mph going to atlantic city... it shuts half the engine off. And new 2500 gassers are getting closer to 20 on the highway unloaded.

I think you're in a sweet spot for the math right now- let's use your example and say you run both 3/4 trucks to 200k miles and assume they can both get 19 MPG.

Service (assume you can service the gas truck for $40, diesel for $100 and you do it every 5k)- $2400 over gas

So you're at a $13,000 premium over the same gas truck by the time you go to get rid of that truck, assuming the same parts outside of normal service need to be fixed on both trucks. Will you make up this gap during its life or on trade in? Depends how many times a year you let that diesel shine by working it, and getting the MPG offset. You'd know that better than me. Does it offset the difference between a 1/2 ton gas truck? Probably not by a long shot, as your initial cost of entry should be a lot lower for a half ton.

3/4 ton argument is also becoming kind of irrelevant. Granted, I don't know what you're hauling on a daily/weekly/monthly basis so I don't know how crucial this is for you. The new F150 can be equipped to carry a 3300 pound payload and can tow 12,200 pounds. Obviously, Ford has to set up the truck to do this reliably and safely to be able to advertise this capability. 2015 F250 4x4 regular cab gas job can pull 12,500 with a 4,069 pound payload (granted, I took a quick look here so this may be a little off)- are the brakes that different? We're talking 800 pounds in payload capacity and even less in towing. The feel shouldn't be that different.

The dudes that work for me don't "need" these trucks. They're both CDL drivers that drive 80k rigs daily- they should have no problem managing a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck with a trailer behind it or plow in front of it. They argue back and forth about one getting 14 MPG while the other gets 16 MPG in what essentially function as oversized Toyota Corolla's so they can feel cool while they commute 40-50 miles daily. They're not car guys- this is simply pissing money away so they can feel good about driving a big truck. I think there are other factors at play here with these guys.

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter to me one bit if you all go out and buy 2015 6500 diesels from your favorite brand to tow around whatever you want; I'm not paying for any of it. We're all car guys at heart, you guys drive the diesels because you think they're cool. I think they're cool too, I just enjoy poking holes in the "I need one because . . . " argument, especially when trucks in general have become ridiculously capable.

You tell 'em Dave! Only a dummy would daily drive a 3/4 ton truck...

I was thinking fuel mileage. I'm sure I'll get a lil less the Adam

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter to me one bit if you all go out and buy 2015 6500 diesels from your favorite brand to tow around whatever you want; I'm not paying for any of it. We're all car guys at heart, you guys drive the diesels because you think they're cool. Would a Civic Si get me to work at a lower overall cost and with better MPG than a 11 year old BMW that needs premium does? Bet your ass it would. I'm guilty of the same shit. I think diesels are ****ing badass, I just enjoy poking holes in the "I need one because . . . " argument, especially when trucks in general have become ridiculously capable.
I think we're arguing just for the sake of it now but...
The brakes are that different, but if you have your trailer setup correct that should help the 1/2 ton too.

I definitely don't haul on a daily basis. More like bi-monthly at best 9 months out of the year. The point is even before I was moving mulch, tractors, granite and concrete, etc the Jeep alone was a large strain on a 1/2 ton.

Look at it this way, if you are capable of bench pressing say 200lbs, 12 times in a row and Carl is able to do 50lbs the same 12 times; who is going to get more tired lifting 40lbs over and over? Same for trucks with the brakes, trans and suspension. I saw it happen on my 1/2 ton with 50k miles.

I agree. If I could DD anything it wouldn't be a 3/4 ton truck but I also don't have the money to be throwing around at what I would want to drive. Maybe when I am 40 yrs old.
Yup. Also Bill, my truck gets 15 mpg (11 when towing). It ends up that the $ per mile is 86% of what the diesel costs. I know the stick does contribute to the mpg bump.

You modified that quote....
Ok so it changes my point. I lose.

I did to suit the situation.
The amount of electronic doodads on new trucks makes the "sway" argument pretty moot. All new 1500/2500/3500 trucks have sway control and TCS/ECS/EBD/ABC123 whatever. if you are towing a long ass trailer with a regular cab short bed, its obv going to suck compared to something that is 5ft longer. And believe the MPG, my buddy's 2011 Ram 1500 got 23 MPG at 75 mph going to atlantic city... it shuts half the engine off. And new 2500 gassers are getting closer to 20 on the highway unloaded.
Please show me a 3/4 ton gas that gets 20mpg. I'll dance naked for you. No way.

Have you driven a new 1/2 ton with that "sway control"? It isn't all it is cracked up to be. Both my father's Chevy and a good friend's ecoboost F150 have it. I've driven both with maybe 4-5k behind it and there for sure is more sway changing lanes on the interstate than in my 3/4 ton without sway control. It helps, but nothing will ever replace the right tool for the job. Kinda like using a #1 Phillips driver when you really need a #2.

Again, you guys arguing against it are no different than the anti people that want to ban whatever but do not have any first hand experience between a bullet and ammunition or a person with the mental capacity not to drink three big gulps in a day vs someone that doesn't have it. Just saying in good fun. Don't get pissy. :)

You tell 'em Dave! Only a dummy would daily drive a 3/4 ton truck...
:laugh:
I was thinking fuel mileage. I'm sure I'll get a lil less the Adam
Apparently you need a Corolla

Last edited:

Anyone got thoughts on this?

I'm also shopping for new boots.

Kidding; my Chippewas are fine and dandy. I don't need any.

I think we're arguing just for the sack of it now but...
The brakes are that different, but if you have your trailer setup correct that should help the 1/2 ton too.

I definitely don't haul on a daily basis. More like bi-monthly at best 9 months out of the year. The point is even before I was moving mulch, tractors, granite and concrete, etc the Jeep alone is a large strain on a 1/2 ton.

Look at it this way, if you are capable of bench pressing say 200lbs, 12 times in a row and Carl is able to do 50lbs the same 12 times. Who is going to get more tired lifting 40lbs over and over? Same for trucks with the brakes, trans and suspension. I saw it happen on my 1/2 ton with 50k miles.

I agree. If I could DD anything it wouldn't be a 3/4 ton truck but I also don't have the money to be throwing around at what I would want to drive. Maybe when I am 40 yrs old.
Ok so it changes my point. I lose.

I did to suit the situation.
Please show me a 3/4 ton gas that gets 20mpg. I'll dance naked for you. No way.

Have you driven a new 1/2 ton with that "sway control"? It isn't all it is cracked up to be. Both my fathers Chevy and a good friend's ecoboost F150 have it. I've driven both with maybe 4-5k behind it and there for sure is more sway changing lanes on the interstate than in my 3/4 ton without sway control. It helps, but nothing will ever replace the right tool for the job. Kinda like using a #1 Phillips driver when you really need a #2.

Again, you guys arguing against it are no different than the anti people that want to ban whatever but have any first hand experience between a bullet and ammunition or a person with the mental capacity not to drink three big gulps in a day vs something that doesn't have it. Just saying in good fun. Don't get pissy. :)

:laugh:

Apparently you need a Collora
Did you not see Bobby's post of the hitch for a GTO.

Did you not see Bobby's post of the hitch for a GTO.

Yeah and a 3,000 lb tow rating with a 75 lb tongue weight will work great for you.

I say do it.

Back