• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Post Thread

sell all your shit boxes and projects that have been collecting rust and pool that money together and buy a used but in good condition car and then resist the urge to do anything to it except for normal maintenance

there's a reason why new MJ is staying stock.
stock works, the factory done spent a gajillion dollars making sure it did.

sell all your shit boxes and projects that have been collecting rust and pool that money together and buy a used but in good condition car and then resist the urge to do anything to it except for normal maintenance

You realize I literally can't leave my driveway in the winter without 4x4 right?

And that (with the exception of the SYE, which was mostly because it was the same price as a retubed stock rear driveshaft of appropriate length, and I couldn't find a stock rear driveshaft of the right length) the XJ has literally been getting only normal maintenance/replacement parts?

Everything on that goddamn thing is stock except the SYE and rear driveshaft, which is stock off another jeep. I'm not kidding when I say that. And most parts are fairly new because like I said not more than a page ago, I've replaced a hell of a lot of shit on it in the last year.

The only reason I bothered to swap to manual was because the auto trans was pretty close to failure and there's no freaking way I was bolting another one in when I had 90% of the parts on hand to do a completely factory 5 speed swap. For all intents and purposes, it is a stock mantrans XJ with a bolt-on SYE.

Oh right, it also has tires one size larger than stock on it. 235/75R15s that I just bought brand new and have given me zero issues.

So I'm not sure what the **** your point is here. Also, I'm not sure how the hell this would solve the problem of getting rock chipped when I'd be driving the same exact set of roads either way.

Enlighten me.

Of course, I could maybe make a few hundred bucks selling the blue MJ, maybe a grand selling the badly beaten parts off the white MJ (if I was lucky. Really lucky.), the 5 ton I basically can't sell, and then I could buy what? Some car that I have no idea of the maintenance history on that someone ELSE has been neglecting for ten years, then do all the same things I already did to the XJ to catch up on its maintenance debt.

You realize I literally can't leave my driveway in the winter without 4x4 right?

And that (with the exception of the SYE, which was mostly because it was the same price as a retubed stock rear driveshaft of appropriate length, and I couldn't find a stock rear driveshaft of the right length) the XJ has literally been getting only normal maintenance/replacement parts?

Everything on that goddamn thing is stock except the SYE and rear driveshaft, which is stock off another jeep. I'm not kidding when I say that. And most parts are fairly new because like I said not more than a page ago, I've replaced a hell of a lot of shit on it in the last year.

The only reason I bothered to swap to manual was because the auto trans was pretty close to failure and there's no freaking way I was bolting another one in when I had 90% of the parts on hand to do a completely factory 5 speed swap. For all intents and purposes, it is a stock mantrans XJ with a bolt-on SYE.

Oh right, it also has tires one size larger than stock on it. 235/75R15s that I just bought brand new and have given me zero issues.

So I'm not sure what the **** your point is here. Also, I'm not sure how the hell this would solve the problem of getting rock chipped when I'd be driving the same exact set of roads either way.

Enlighten me.

Of course, I could maybe make a few hundred bucks selling the blue MJ, maybe a grand selling the badly beaten parts off the white MJ (if I was lucky. Really lucky.), the 5 ton I basically can't sell, and then I could buy what? Some car that I have no idea of the maintenance history on that someone ELSE has been neglecting for ten years, then do all the same things I already did to the XJ to catch up on its maintenance debt.
remeber why you are in this shit hole mess with the windshield due things that are not normal with the jeep. you are good enough with cars in general to be able to to what parts are going out or already gone and would need to be replaced. the more frankenstein your DD gets the more you are going to pay for it in the long run

Why can't you just get the chips repaired. All the glass places by me do that. And insurance will be happy to pay for that because it saves them the price of the windshield.

someone needs a hug

edit: Dukie, you know it :roflmao: I thought I finally had this shitcan ready for inspection (after wasting two vacation days trying to get it covered under warranty, then driving to springfield when they canceled the second appointment due to rain, which was fair enough, installing a windshield outside in the rain is asking for leakage problems) and then it gets ****ed up again literally before I even have a chance to have it inspected. Started the morning off in a pretty foul mood because of that.

remeber why you are in this shit hole mess with the windshield due things that are not normal with the jeep. you are good enough with cars in general to be able to to what parts are going out or already gone and would need to be replaced. the more frankenstein your DD gets the more you are going to pay for it in the long run
That's why I'm on the lookout for a decent clean straight 98/99 without such problems, I completely agree. I don't mind if I have to park the current crapcan in the yard and strip it bare and toss everything else on the new one.

I'm just saying there is basically nothing frankenstein about this thing except for the chassis not being in the best shape and having some 'issues'.

Just waiting till one comes along with the right price on it. Believe me, I don't feel like dealing with the issues this chassis has.

I just don't see how selling all my projects/crapcans that literally won't get me enough money to buy gas for the month will solve the problem at all.

No worries on me modding this thing further, the only remaining plans I have for it are fixing the AC (because it's gonna get hot soon), putting a new rear axle together for it (100% stock parts, it just has a junk pinion bearing and trashed wheel bearings in the current one and I'd rather put 30 bucks in parts into the free replacement Jay gave me, then bolt it in in an evening instead of screwing around with it under the jeep), rhinolining the floor, and putting the carpet back in. It will certainly never be lifted, and after tearing a hole in the gas tank last time, I'm done wheeling it. I have baby mudterrains on it right now only because they were damn near the cheapest tires I could find that would actually make it up the hill out of my driveway in spring mud season without spinning. I think a set of stock 225 Michelins would have cost me more than I spent on them, and with how many miles I put on it, running unknown used tires probably isn't in my best interest.

Why can't you just get the chips repaired. All the glass places by me do that. And insurance will be happy to pay for that because it saves them the price of the windshield.

I probably will if MassDOT doesn't pony up for a new one. Which they won't, but I feel like yelling at someone over this and dammit, it's gonna be the people who filled the road with windshield ruining bullshit if I'm gonna yell at anyone.

I even have the gasket I want on it sitting here at work now because I bought one so I could have them install it if I ended up going through insurance, so even if I have to go through insurance, this will cost me a whopping 30 bucks instead of 200 this time around.

I'm worried this is gonna crack further even if it's repaired, since it's a few small cracks away from the spot it hit not a circular/conical pockmark, but eh. If it passes inspection and lasts a few months so I can call insurance and not have them be quite as mad about it, it's good enough for me.

Last edited:

Broke my dumb harbor freight brake flaring tool. Gonna buy another one tomorrow.

I bought a nice Matco set up because I used to make a ton of brake lines at work, now I don't and it just holds my tool box down. COOL STORY RIGHT?!

THe NAC Lots-O-Post Thread

I thought about buying a nice one, but then I would have to wait for it to get delivered and not have my truck, and then when I'm done with it, it'll be just as good as a paperweight as yours is.

Chris, glad its been treating you good :) Hell, glad it works at all :laugh: I never shot that one

I thought about buying a nice one, but then I would have to wait for it to get delivered and not have my truck, and then when I'm done with it, it'll be just as good as a paperweight as yours is.

I bought a nice one.

worth every penny when you have to brake lines. I've used it like 5 times in 10 years. Still worth every penny.

I hate hardlines, and brakes in general.

use this guy at work. its pretty cool

p22770.jpg

Last? First? Whatever it's bed time. Been up since 530 EST

I hate hardlines, and brakes in general.

i really dont mind working on cars, and most of the time, i enjoy it.. or at least try to. but when it comes to exhaust and brakes (besides pads/rotors, thats easy) i HATE doing it. i'm probably just going to drop the truck off at my buddy's garage and let him have at it. it sucks doing a job like this in a garage, and it sucks even more doing it in a dirt driveway.

I used copper nickel line to do my Dodge.

Made it super easy to replace them all. I did literally every line except for one of the master cylinder to ABS pump lines, and the line all the way to the rear of the truck had been replaced already.

I did one master cylinder to ABS pump, all three out of the ABS pump, the cross over underneath the front crossmember, and the one on the rear axle.

The annoying part was I didn't do them ALL at once...did the front ones, bled, blew a hard line, did the rear, blew a soft line, etc. That was annoying as hell :laugh:.

Hey Anthony, I test drove a VW Golf R over the weekend. Pretty fun little thing.

Back