• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THe NAC Lots-O-BFG KO2 Thread

Re: THe NAC Lots-O-Post Thread

I have a belly button

And rotor weight and size.. Lotsa variables
Rotor weight might matter at speed but I bet its moment of inertia is almost insignificant compared to a huge rim/tire.

It would almost definitely be negligible for rock crawling.

Doesn't leverage come into the equation when changing to a larger rotor? It'd be like using a 2 foot breaker bar instead of a 1 foot breaker bar, right?

Adam just likes to say reasons for things like he actually knows what he is talking about, even though hes wrong.

What Anthony said is what I would have said, and makes sense.

Easier to stop a 14" rotor instead of an 11", even if it's just holding.
Yep, because of diameter, torque = force x distance, and the greater the dia, the greater the distance from the axis of rotation you can apply a force. The mass of the rotor is negligable compared the the ~100 lbs of mass the tire/rim has, and the torque applied by the larger diameter rolling tire on the brake system.

Going to a larger bore MC gives you a stiffer pedal feel and less mechanical advantage overall.

With the stock XJ MC and larger calipers, you'll have greater holding power at the expensive of a squishier (or longer-traveling) brake pedal.
Ya, I had a squishy pedal in my green Jeep, and it seemed like no matter how much I bled them, no improvement was made, and the brakes were adequate at most on road.

Edit: didn't see this until after I posted and went back to the last page
Doesn't leverage come into the equation when changing to a larger rotor? It'd be like using a 2 foot breaker bar instead of a 1 foot breaker bar, right?

Yes. essentially torque = force x distance, the greater dia the greater the torque to oppose the rolling motion of the tires, and slow the vehicle.

Last edited:

Where did he say they were required? You're really not backing yourself up on anything you're saying right now.

And why must you go running to the pirate tech articles?

Bc that's where the info is? Your jeep didn't hold bc you had insufficient clamping force. There's more than one way to solve the issue but throwing a larger bore mc on it is not the solution. I don't like Hydroboost bc I don't like two systems that are required for emergency maneuvers to be able to fail as one piece; especially when it isn't required for the brakes to perform adequately.

I use enough big words? I really don't like arguing on forums on my phone.

Hydroboost allowed me to fit a big block in my MJ.

Locks up 40s NO problem with normal pedal effort.

Doesn't slow down my steering at all.

Please explain.

Just out of curiosity, not knowing what cam you've got...would your engine pull enough vacuum to make a vacuum booster a viable option?

Just got the paperwork started for a Walther PPK/S. Should be ready to go by the time I'm outta work. :)

I know Keith disapproves. :p

That's awesome!

I was THIS close to getting a Walther PPQ, but ended up with a G19 instead.

And for a small concealable, I got the Ruger LCP .380 .... which I think is similar to the PPK

Bc that's where the info is? Your jeep didn't hold bc you had insufficient clamping force. There's more than one way to solve the issue but throwing a larger bore mc on it is not the solution. I don't like Hydroboost bc I don't like two systems that are required for emergency maneuvers to be able to fail as one piece; especially when it isn't required for the brakes to perform adequately.

I use enough big words? I really don't like arguing on forums on my phone.

If the booster fails, it all just goes straight to your steering. You don't lose both. You'd literally have to crack the casting in order to lose both.

Lines don't explode on their own. They either chafe through, melt, or whatever. Route them like an intelligent person and you'll be fine. I'm more worried about my ram lines than my booster lines.

You also watched me facing straight downhill, engine off, holding my jeep from rolling down the hill no problem. And I wasn't even standing on the brakes. Nitrogen cylinder FTW. Try that with vacuum-assist brakes.

FWIW Lance from PSC said he uses hydroboost on all their buggies (at least when I talked to him a year ago) and said he would never go back to vacuum assist.

Just out of curiosity, not knowing what cam you've got...would your engine pull enough vacuum to make a vacuum booster a viable option?

Yup.

I don't have a crazy cam.

Intake is .480" @ 238
Exhaust is .495" @ 246

According to the datasheet it pulls 10" of vacuum at 1000 RPM.

Last edited:

Easier to stop a 14" rotor instead of an 11", even if it's just holding.
See bolded
More surface area of pad will only affect pad longevity. Pressure and rotor/pad diameter are how you get more braking power.

Adam, I think you're getting beat on this one...

Just got the paperwork started for a Walther PPK/S. Should be ready to go by the time I'm outta work. :)

I know Keith disapproves. :p
He shouldn't completely disapprove. At least it's something that goes bang. Let us know how you like it.

I recently picked up a S&W 442 (pre-lock). Much easier to conceal than my M&P 40c.

Last edited:
If the booster fails, it all just goes straight to your steering. You don't lose both. You'd literally have to crack the casting in order to lose both.

Lines don't explode on their own. They either chafe through, melt, or whatever. Route them like an intelligent person and you'll be fine. I'm more worried about my ram lines than my booster lines.

You also watched me facing straight downhill, engine off, holding my jeep from rolling down the hill no problem. And I wasn't even standing on the brakes. Nitrogen cylinder FTW. Try that with vacuum-assist brakes.

FWIW Lance from PSC said he uses hydroboost on all their buggies (at least when I talked to him a year ago) and said he would never go back to vacuum assist.

Fine.

Back