• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Frog Blog

Be sure to watch the sunrise at the grand canyon. It is spectacular and well worth the lack of sleep. Take pics for sure!

My kid just told me he has taken 1100 pictures so far and we are only on day 6 of our 14 day trip. He's a mad man with his digital SLR.

We hiked the north rim of the Grand Canyon today and will head to Lake Powell and Arches Natl Park tomorrow. We will stay there for two nights before heading to Moab. The Moab leg is what I look forward to most and will test out the WK on many trails. I will probably buy a 2011 or 2012 Grand in the coming year. I am really digging this 2006 WK Overland on this trip but would love a newer one with the new features.

By the way...the last time we were at the Grand Canyon was on our honeymoon 25 years ago. Seems deeper now.

We are now at Lake Powell and will be hiking through some of the interesting geological formations this morning. We have an evening boat cruise on the lake later today, then we head for Moab for three nights.

Driving from the north rim of the Grand Canyon to Lake Powell was one of the more scenic and memorable drives I have experienced. Spectacular red cliffs and canyons carved by the Colorado River cover the landscape, making it the most interesting 100 mile legs of this trip. I must say though, you gotta like rocks or this trip or this would be a waste of time. My 8 year old is more interested in what's playing on the Jeep's DVD player.

MAN! I just sat down and read every page like a good book... love the frog blog!! I am new to the area and just got myself my 4th XJ ('98 Sport) and will be building it up in the coming up years.
Your rigs are inspiring! I hope mine will look that good someday. Also an interesting tidbit... I just built my own front bumper and I ended up with this guys hoops from Craigslist...
His bumper:
front.jpg

And mine:
mybumper1.jpg

mybumper2.jpg

Had to make some modifications but it turned out alright... Thanks for the read! Hope we meet up someday when my heep is built up a bit more.
_aj

check out the rock shop in Moab. I am a geologist and it was like the biggest candy store ever! Be sure to check out the brewery too.

I was doing a field class there a few years ago, we did 2 weeks in the Colorado Plateau. Grand Canyon, Arches, Goblin Valley, Zion,... Sounds like you guys are pretty much following the same route we did. It is hands down my favorite part of the USA. GAH! I am very envious of you! I was planning a drive thru there on my way to Texas to visit family, but turns out the previous owner of my jeep did an engine swap and neglected to tell me. So I will be spending the next few weeks installing a CEL and tracking down wiring. Live and learn I guess... Enjoy your vacation!

I just found out that it is extremely difficult to reply to a quoted message with my iPhone. Instead, I will say thank you, HangtownXJ, for the kind words and photos. That is a great looking bumper and I look forward to additional pics as you complete your build. What are you doing for tie in brackets to the unit body? I yet to rip my bumper free despite some harsh recoveries.

Welcome to the Sierra Chapter and FB. You comments, stories, and pics will add to the FB. Thanks again.

We are off to Moab in about two hours. We expect a five hour drive from Lake Powell.

check out the rock shop in Moab. I am a geologist and it was like the biggest candy store ever! Be sure to check out the brewery too.

I was doing a field class there a few years ago, we did 2 weeks in the Colorado Plateau. Grand Canyon, Arches, Goblin Valley, Zion,... Sounds like you guys are pretty much following the same route we did. It is hands down my favorite part of the USA. GAH! I am very envious of you! I was planning a drive thru there on my way to Texas to visit family, but turns out the previous owner of my jeep did an engine swap and neglected to tell me. So I will be spending the next few weeks installing a CEL and tracking down wiring. Live and learn I guess... Enjoy your vacation!

Thanks man. A rock shop sounds good and we have three days there to check out all sorts of things. Since this trip started out as an XJ trip with just me and the kid, my wife made sure to give us plenty of time at Moab to try SUV trails and explore the area for a return trip.

After this long trip I think it would be best to put my XJ on a trailer and tow it to Moab with the WK. Driving the Grand is like butter. I think I am spoiled now.

Oh yeah, while at Lake Powell, we hiked through the upper slot canyon (Antelope Canyon) and saw some amazing sandstone carvings and light beams pouring into the narrow slots. We also took a boat ride on the lake and up the Colorado into some narrow canyons with 400 foot cliffs. Amazing stuff.

Looking forward to all these pics dude!

We are in Moabafter a five hour drive from Lake Powell. The drive through Monument Valley was great. We are looking at trails now and may start with Gemini Bridges Trail for some photos.

Dinner tonight will be at Moab Brewery. Mmmm beer.

Haha! From "Mmmm Beer" to "Ugh" in two posts... Hope it tasted good going down!

As far as my tie in brackets I made identical ones to Liquid Iron Industries which go way back and use a couple more holes and are 1/4" steel. also plated my sub-frame with 1/4" in the front and made a new solid steering box bracket, hopefully wont be going anywhere anytime soon. If it does then half my jeep is going with it and I have bigger problems. ;)

Haha! From "Mmmm Beer" to "Ugh" in two posts... Hope it tasted good going down!

As far as my tie in brackets I made identical ones to Liquid Iron Industries which go way back and use a couple more holes and are 1/4" steel. also plated my sub-frame with 1/4" in the front and made a new solid steering box bracket, hopefully wont be going anywhere anytime soon. If it does then half my jeep is going with it and I have bigger problems. ;)

Sounds good and post up additional pics if you can. Beef is good.

There are many JKs and a few TJs here at Moab but we have only seen two built XJs so far. Most of the JKs are stock rentals with frightened looking women drivers in them. They look like they are having fun though.

I will be buying a stock TJ for a long term build project and will get a welder and cutters to fab up some of my own parts. Can't wait for that build and the TJ search has begun...

Whew! Made it home after 2543 miles, 7 camp sites, and 13 days of travel. Now 2 days of hectic work before a week in Virginia. Hopefully I will get to the pics before I leave.

It's Friday...Friday...gotta get down on Friday....

Can't believe I will miss the annual Hi-Lander's Poker Run on the Rubicon-Wentworth Trail this weekend. I was looking forward to that being the first real trail run of the season but the timing is bad.

I need to make a final decision tonight if I will be doing the 59th Annual Jeeper's Jamboree at the end of July. The only thing the XJ needs for that trip is a set of mini-skids welded on to protect my LCAs, but otherwise I'm in good shape and ready to roll. I look forward to beating the snot out of the Frog.

Photos of the Zion/Bryce/GC/Powell/Moab trip should be posted on the FB tonight.

Kelly,

Didn't your momma tell you you'll go blind if you do that.

That's gotta be my goal for next year to make my rig ready for the Poker run... your pics and narrative make it look super fun.

I just learned of a run on the Rubicon July 8-11 with Auburn Jeep club. I have an email out and am hoping they will contact me with run info. At 100 bucks per person, that is far cheaper than the Jeeper's Jambo.

The Poker Run is a blast and I wish I could make it. Let's do that next year.

Just ordered my Currie Enterprise D30 mini skids in preparation of the 2011 wheeling season. I ordered them through TJ Performance Center and received a whopping $1.25 NAXJA discount. Total price after shipping and handling was $33.72.

Oooh, I also sent in my registration for the 4-day Jeeper's Jamboree for the end of July.

mini-skid.jpg

Back