• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Frog Blog

kelly, i need a set of this type of stem adapters & i have a set of the eye type adapters if you want to trade.

I would consider a trade if I was local, but I need to get this fixed soon. I'm heading to Van Nuys tomorrow to swap the crap that wont work. I'm not sure I can even run the 5165's after talking to Bilstein today. They don't even make a post to eye adapter, so the part numbers they provided me are bogus and now I'm stuck returning them on my own dime.

I looked at those JKS adapters and they look like mounts for a shock with a billet aluminum eye. Plus, the short stem does not allow for rubber bushings at the fender mounting hole. Its not exactly what I am looking for.

Oh crap. My name went black.

A few updates from this weekend and a couple of pics from Bull Frog at Johnson Valley:

Renewed my membership. Red is the new black.

I passed my smog check this weekend without problem. I had concerns over the APN header after being hassled two years ago at Smog 'N Go, but that issue never came up. It helps when the smog dude likes your Jeep. 162k on the clock and it runs as clean as new.

Ordered better safety cables and wiring harness for flat towing the Jeep behind the Yukon. Come on Moab....

I'm also ready to order Bushwhacker flat fender flares for the Jeep to cover the extra 4" of exposed rubber. Not sure how fitment will be with the rear ORF protection, but it might work.

We also started looking for a house up north for our eventual return. There doesn't seem to be many houses on the market these days and prices are much higher than a year ago. WTF, NorCal?

DSCN7322_zps88cb4f09.jpg

DSCN7321_zps8eb47ca9.jpg

Oh, and a couple from Jawbone Canyon last weekend. It's very brown here.

photo_zpsa1a4e9cf.jpg

2_zps90dc8a23.jpg

3_zpse5bb4e50.jpg

4_zps1a88d417.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good kelly. I like the way the jeep looks.

Glad you're enjoying it down there Kelly. Im looking forward to wheeling with you again when you visit (whenever that is).

Those tires make the frog look like a whole new machine. Looks great!

The Frog is looking sharp. I have the flat Bushwackers, they do a good job of covering the tires. What did you do about the front shock dilemma?

I caved and went for Bilstein 5100's. Not what I wanted but I got lazy with finding a mount for the 5160's. Thanks for the flare info.

I ordered the flat style Bushwhacker fender flares from Serious Offroad Products.com tonight. They gave a $20+ NAXJA discount. Nice touch, SO.

FlatXJ_2.jpg

I doubt these will come in prior to my trip to Death Valley, but they should be installed in time for SoCal Fest in April. Oh sorry...wrong chapter.

I like the flat ones much better than the regular ones. But I would still rather have flexy flares.

I got three flares installed today and will finish the drivers side rear tomorrow. Installation would be cake on a stock jeep but is much more difficult with trimmed front fenders and rear quarter armor. Looking good though and they are stout.

As mentioned up there ^^ I installed a set of Bushwhacker flat fenders this weekend. Although I liked my newly cut fenders, my 12" Kevlars extended a bit too far beyond the body line.

IMG_3749_zpsf82d7fe3.jpg

Installation of these flares on a stock (uncut) XJ would be a snap, but I cut off my original flare mounting holes, so I had to relocate the inner fender mounts a bit higher than normal.

IMG_4182_zps0a83d339.jpg

A bit of extra trimming just means more clearance for my tires. No problem...

IMG_4185_zpsf9d055ad.jpg

The flat outters bolt easily onto the inners and made for a firm flare.

IMG_4192_zps3a6d6fd2.jpg

The rears were also a bit more technical to install due to my mix of JCR lowers and ORF upper quarters. Still not a difficult install, but I did need to cut a few inches of the lowers with my cutoff wheel.

IMG_4189_zpsbec19873.jpg

Each flare took about two hours to install. Again, a stock XJ would be a much faster install and well worth the investment.

IMG_4191_zps6f8637e5.jpg

The finished product looks good. I'll test them out at Death Valley at the end of the week.

IMG_4199_zps3edfdf8f.jpg

IMG_4196_zpsc2e33661.jpg

IMG_4194_zps4e0c693b.jpg

IMG_4197_zps528da670.jpg

IMG_4198_zps50d3c31e.jpg

We took a short drive to Panamint and Death Valley over the first part of Easter break. The weather was great and the Jeep towed great behind the Whale, and this was the first time I got to use the dedicated tow lights I installed last month. Much better than the magnetic lights.

IMG_4211_zps3ce2a409.jpg

IMG_4228_zps294143ed.jpg

Tourist info at Furnace Creek labeled Echo Canyon Trail as an "extreme" trail, but it was nothing more than a dirt road. Loved the scenery, though.

IMG_4252_zpsea5c36e6.jpg

IMG_4253_zpsd284c82c.jpg

IMG_4268_zpsd884790b.jpg

IMG_4271_zps4428e6c0.jpg

IMG_4275_zpsce91c277.jpg

IMG_4277_zpsd167851f.jpg

IMG_4280_zps30d355ff.jpg

IMG_4286_zpsb7425ae1.jpg

IMG_4293_zpsf4732059.jpg

IMG_4297_zps38ca0505.jpg

IMG_4299_zps89c7ade2.jpg

We even managed to find some water on a short hike.

IMG_4313_zps5c33ff4c.jpg

Last edited:
Back