• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Frog Blog

The trailer is 18', duel axles and brakes. Pulled the grades on 80, 70mph 3/4 throttle. Best
truck I've owned. Averaged 16mpg to Moab and back.

Thanks for that. I'm assuming the 18' includes tongue length. I've looked at a few here in the desert and I can find a new one for about $2000 and used for about $1400. My biggest problem will be finding a home for the trailer when I'm not using it, considering my 31' RV takes up a ton of space on the side of the house. 16' would fit better, but that's probably too short for the XJ.

sounds like a sweet shock setup. should be nice. get some pics up of the new shocks.

I called 4Wheel Parts to see if they would honor a free RE monotube shock replacement like they did before, but they would not since I purchased the shocks from the RE warehouse directly, and not through them. Wanting an upgrade anyway, I called Bilstein (located in nearby Poway) and got some shock advice from them. I knew my shock length and I heard good things about the 5165's.

The Bilstein dude confirmed a double-eye 5165 shock ([FONT=&quot]Part # BIL25-187748) [/FONT]with length of 31" extended and 17.9" collapsed, and a valving of 25570. I am at 6.5" of lift up front. With the double-eye shock, I needed stem adapters ([FONT=&quot]Part # BILB4-BOA-0000228) [/FONT]to convert the posts to bar pins at the top of the shock. The stem adapters add about an inch to the length of the shock, so I did not want to get the next size up, which extends to 34.9" and collapses to 20.7". Same price for the longer version, by the way.

I then called 4Wheel Parts and provided them the part numbers and quantities, since I could not order directly from Bilstein. The good part was free shipping and 4WP will stand by the purchase. Serious Off Road has them at $180 each, but I'm not sure about the shipping fees there.

The stem adapters are a tad over $23 each. The 5165's are about $185 each. I suppose a call to RE for a replacement shock would have been cheaper ha ha. I might do that and sell them for a decent price.

bilstein-25-187748.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't read up on those yet, are they revalvable? For less than that you can have a larger 2.5" shock that's rebuildable and revalvable from Foa... A 12" shock is tough on an Xj without a short body or you build your lower mounts off the axle.

I haven't read up on those yet, are they revalvable? For less than that you can have a larger 2.5" shock that's rebuildable and revalvable from Foa... A 12" shock is tough on an Xj without a short body or you build your lower mounts off the axle.

show me where at? I wouldnt mind longer front shocks....

Those billet aluminum ends look good too. Those come unpressurized and you need to pressurize them with nitrogen before installation. Where did you have that done, Mike?

Those billet aluminum ends look good too. Those come unpressurized and you need to pressurize them with nitrogen before installation. Where did you have that done, Mike?

Yeah its nice having ends that last way longer than any rubber bushing yet are also rebuildable.
Any motorcycle shop will have nitrogen tanks for rebuilding shocks. My last one charged 7bucks a shock but that was cheap. Most are around 10-15 per shock i think. I have an air compressor that goes to 175 psi so i just use that. Some say the moister in the air compressor is not good for the shock inards but with the amount of oil that goes in them its really not a concern. I've torn them down and they looked fine inside.

My shocks came after only a week and a half, but unfortunately, Bilstein recommended the wrong adapter for their shocks. I did not Google the part number because I expected they would know what adapter kit I needed for a post to eye mount. Here's what they sent. I guess I'm Jeepless until I can get a new adapter.

192-300.jpg

It looks like the 5150 series has an eye at the top that can be unscrewed and replaced with the stem adapter they sent me. The 5165's have a welded eye that cannot be removed. I'm so glad I talked to their custom tech department when I ordered the parts.

img_ocD4Nq.jpg

My shocks came after only a week and a half, but unfortunately, Bilstein recommended the wrong adapter for their shocks. I did not Google the part number because I expected they would know what adapter kit I needed for a post to eye mount. Here's what they sent. I guess I'm Jeepless until I can get a new adapter.

192-300.jpg

kelly, i need a set of this type of stem adapters & i have a set of the eye type adapters if you want to trade.

Back