• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Frog Blog

Moving along distance? This is how it is done. Get somebody to do it!
P1060772small.jpg

My version of a complete shop on wheels.

P1070092.jpg

Arrival 1790 miles away from the Golden State.

P1070094.jpg

The drivers at the Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS) thought their eyes needed to be checked as they were all former Cherokee nuts (now turned JK nuts) and the last time they saw this arrangement was back in the production years.

P1070114.jpg

We have a couple of folks drive into the mall parking lot wondering Marchionne had decided to bring the Cherokee back and go retro. There was nothing retro here. It's all original. Note that the front bumper and end caps on the last one on the carrier are from the Frog.

So the roster in California dropped by 4 and Texas increased by 4.

Of course two weeks later a hailstorm unlike anything seen before in Texas hit Dallas hard with ice balls ranging from peas to softballs (not at all soft) with a heavy concentration of the later. Two of the jeeps sustained moderate damage with about 8-10 nice good size dents on the roof and hood each. Nothing that paintless dent removal can't fix. All others garaged. Glass was all intact. If you owned a Lexus, BMW or anything with a very low sloped window, you had no window and the frame would be bent up.

Trail Rated? Try Hail Rated!

Looking forward to more reasonable registration fees and inspections!

Carry on Sierra Chapter!

Wow man, awesome fleet of XJ's! :cheers:

Yeah, Bill is the schizzle. I once told him he spends his time restoring Cherokees to mint condition; I do my best to destroy them. It's a well balanced system.

We need someone to keep them around, us idiots aren't helping keep them around! :D

Anytime someone in any of the threads would talk about pulling out the grinder or torch to cut off factory weldments, it would send shivers up my spine. Reinforcements I am good with.

But one has to admit that the Frog is really one of the tightest rigs in terms of appearance and function, without comprehensive modifications. Any aftermarket supplier would want to have their product on the Frog. The Chili Red and black hightlights brings it altogether. And it is always clean sitting in the driveway awaiting the next venture.

Anytime someone in any of the threads would talk about pulling out the grinder or torch to cut off factory weldments, it would send shivers up my spine. Reinforcements I am good with.

But one has to admit that the Frog is really one of the tightest rigs in terms of appearance and function, without comprehensive modifications. Any aftermarket supplier would want to have their product on the Frog. The Chili Red and black hightlights brings it altogether. And it is always clean sitting in the driveway awaiting the next venture.

The frog is pretty that's for sure. Mine has so much tree rash on it that I don't try and keep it very clean. I'm gonna need a buffer and some compound here soon though, its driving me nuts.

Thanks guys, you make me blush. The Frog has plenty of trail scars, but I wear them in pride.

The drive to SoCal was uneventful. My trailer (the Toad) and rig was full of heavy tools, off-road parts and equipment, and other essentials that I did not want the movers to touch, and I averaged 13.5 mpg on the 400 miles south. I noticed a remarkable difference with the front axle and general drivability with the Warn hubs. The ride was smooth and the engine hummed like it was new, even while climbing over Tehachapi pass with my load. As much as I hate filling up the tank after 200 miles, I still love my XJ and its variety of uses.

I'll be spending some time under the Jeep this weekend to figure out the source of the new oil leak and popping from the suspension. The leak started after hauling 1000lbs of equipment down south and I'm hoping it is just my valve cover leaking oil down to the RMS area.

I'll probably find another set of worn control arm bushings, which is becoming the norm with my Jeep. Change bushings...wheel....change bushings....I'm looking forward to a long arm upgrade soon but I need to pair that with a new set of wider/taller tires, but these KM2's just wont wear down fast enough. I also need to figure out why my mpg is sucking. LA gas is giving me about 10 mpg these days. Another reason to hate SoCal.

if you haven't done it in a while then do : plugs, plug wires, air filter, sea foam intake and in gas, fuel filter, 02 sensor , test TPS, did you add more weight ? are you new front hubs locked?

check for exhaust leak ,vacuum leak, intake leak, etc. Is your air filter totally clogged with dirt and mud ?

and just roll with the tires until you find a killer deal on 35s....

i usually have over 1000 pounds of gear every time i hit the trail....

if you haven't done it in a while then do : plugs, plug wires, air filter, sea foam intake and in gas, fuel filter, 02 sensor , test TPS, did you add more weight ? are you new front hubs locked?

check for exhaust leak ,vacuum leak, intake leak, etc. Is your air filter totally clogged with dirt and mud ?

and just roll with the tires until you find a killer deal on 35s....

i usually have over 1000 pounds of gear every time i hit the trail....

Thanks, Jon. I've got a new TPS, plugs, and 02 sensors, and yeah, the hubs are unlocked (love that). Might be time for a good set of wires and sea foam, though. Good reminder.

We're heading to NorCal for the Laborious Day weekend in an attempt to get away from the high desert. We are towing the Frog behind the White Whale and heading to Santa Cruz tomorrow morning. The Kid is driving down from Travis to meet us and we plan to hit Hollister one day over the weekend. Maybe we'll see some of you NAXJA bastards there.

A few pics from the Hollister trip.

IMG_3172-4.jpg

IMG_3170.jpg

IMG_1441-2.jpg

IMG_1440-2.jpg

IMG_3164.jpg

IMG_3158.jpg

IMG_3174.jpg

Towed the rig 309 miles to Santa Cruz and I never knew the Jeep was behind me. Loving the Warn hubs.

IMG_3154.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you guys had fun out there! I wish I was around to meet up.

Missed you guys at the Sierrafest!

Ha ha...maybe after I install the long arm lift and 35's. Next year for sure.

My kid just sent me this pic. That was a fun obstacle.

pipeclimbsm.jpg

The frog is looking awesome as usual dude! Haven't checked in on the thread in a while. My XJ is still awaiting an 8.8 swap. Gotta get my DD running first. should be going this weekend then it gets some tires and I can drive it while I swap the axle out and get the front regeared to match.

The frog is looking awesome as usual dude! Haven't checked in on the thread in a while. My XJ is still awaiting an 8.8 swap. Gotta get my DD running first. should be going this weekend then it gets some tires and I can drive it while I swap the axle out and get the front regeared to match.

Sounds good. I don't post much here anymore since the migration to the southland but I am planning a few upgrades myself. ACOS up front is the next upgrade followed by a LA lift in early 2013. Hopefully the world wont end before I get that on.

Got some SoCal trips planned as well. Panamint and Calico in the next month. Yeehaw.

Back