• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Frog Blog

We didn't see you guys at the run but it looks like you had as much fun as we did. We ran in group 3 and camped at Wench Creek. Other than the swarms of mosquitos it was a great time.

FIFY :wow:

Update from IH Only...

One unit bearing and one axle shaft is bad, but the ring, pinion, and locker is fine. I'm going with lockout hubs, chromo shafts, new unit bearings, and the drive shaft upgrade. Wish I had the time to do this myself...I hate having other peeps work on my chit.

Yeah i agree with tim on this one. And have you seen how far the stock driveshaft can travel? On my driver side I can have a 6" lift spring dropped 5 inches down from the top coil seat and the shaft still has splines engaged. With my limit straps hooked up i get nowhere near that kind of flex but... I wouldn't mind having a beefy DOM CV shaft that i could roll on the rocks without worry.

Looks like fun. Diggin the whale.

The weekend before Last was below 30 fri night, perfect saturday and sunday nights but with increasing mosquitoes.

were the skeeters resilient to whatever bug repellent you used? If not what were you using? I'm finding the skeeters are getting immune to more and more of the products out these days.

I wanna see pics of this mission.

We had a few Mosquitos at Airport Flat for an hour before sunset, but nothing else. A good distance from water I suppose. Good trip, but likely the last for awhile. The next focus is to tow the Frog to Sierra Fest where I will take lots of teasing for my D30 hubs ha ha ha.

were the skeeters resilient to whatever bug repellent you used? If not what were you using? I'm finding the skeeters are getting immune to more and more of the products out these days.

I wanna see pics of this mission.

.035 flux core fumes and generator exhaust worked well but the carbon monoxide was undesirable on the drive out

To all you D30 upgrade haters out there, I picked up my rig today after IH Only - North installed my new Warn hubs, Yukon chromo shafts, and front drive shaft. After driving 40 miles home from the shop, I could not be happier. I no longer suffer the binding problems associated with the Spartan locker in tight turns (yeah, I know, I could have bought a D44 with ARB for what I paid, but time was the issue) and the free spinning axle will certainly help me during flat towing. I got this done just in time, as I am officially driving down south this Tuesday.

The list of new parts includes:

D30 driveshaft and Spicer u-joints from Sacramento Drivelines
Warn YA WU-07 D30 Spin Free wheel hub conversion kit (Rotors, hubs, spindles, u-joints, Yukon 27 spline axle shafts, bearings, races, and seals)
Unit bearings (one was trashed)

IMG_2582.jpg

IMG_2583.jpg

IMG_2584.jpg

Here's the dead pile. My front rotors will be posted on the For Sale forum for 20 bucks. I'll give the driveshaft away to anyone who wants it.

IMG_2585-1.jpg

Last edited:
nothing wrong with polishing HP30 if yah have the money and not the time. Its a great axle. I say truss yours , sleeve it, gusset the knuckles, and run 37s....

Haven't checked this thread out lately, THe Frog is looking good. I've been a lot more ballsy with Betsy lately and have more racing stripes than a Camaro Plant!

I broke a u-joint back in November and found it in March! :D

Here are recent pics of her:

Mall Crawling
DSC00010.jpg

Waterfall crawling
DTOR_3-17-12023.jpg

DTOR_3-17-12026.jpg

Winterfest 12
betsyrocks.jpg

I'll be doing control arms from Ironman 4x4 fab tomorrow, followed by Z34 vents and Shackle relocation brackets next week. Good luck with your move to Socal!

Looks good...I bet it was a bit spendy but it will definetly help with towing it behind the RV. It'll save a ton of wear and tear on the drivetrain. I've even seen a few rigs set up with rear hubs so they can be unlocked for flat towing.

Moving along distance? This is how it is done. Get somebody to do it!
P1060772small.jpg

My version of a complete shop on wheels.

P1070092.jpg

Arrival 1790 miles away from the Golden State.

P1070094.jpg

The drivers at the Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS) thought their eyes needed to be checked as they were all former Cherokee nuts (now turned JK nuts) and the last time they saw this arrangement was back in the production years.

P1070114.jpg

We have a couple of folks drive into the mall parking lot wondering Marchionne had decided to bring the Cherokee back and go retro. There was nothing retro here. It's all original. Note that the front bumper and end caps on the last one on the carrier are from the Frog.

So the roster in California dropped by 4 and Texas increased by 4.

Of course two weeks later a hailstorm unlike anything seen before in Texas hit Dallas hard with ice balls ranging from peas to softballs (not at all soft) with a heavy concentration of the later. Two of the jeeps sustained moderate damage with about 8-10 nice good size dents on the roof and hood each. Nothing that paintless dent removal can't fix. All others garaged. Glass was all intact. If you owned a Lexus, BMW or anything with a very low sloped window, you had no window and the frame would be bent up.

Trail Rated? Try Hail Rated!

Looking forward to more reasonable registration fees and inspections!

Carry on Sierra Chapter!

P1070092.jpg

Arrival 1790 miles away from the Golden State.

P1070094.jpg

The drivers at the Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS) thought their eyes needed to be checked as they were all former Cherokee nuts (now turned JK nuts) and the last time they saw this arrangement was back in the production years.

P1070114.jpg

We have a couple of folks drive into the mall parking lot wondering Marchionne had decided to bring the Cherokee back and go retro. There was nothing retro here. It's all original. Note that the front bumper and end caps on the last one on the carrier are from the Frog.

So the roster in California dropped by 4 and Texas increased by 4.

Of course two weeks later a hailstorm unlike anything seen before in Texas hit Dallas hard with ice balls ranging from peas to softballs (not at all soft) with a heavy concentration of the later. Two of the jeeps sustained moderate damage with about 8-10 nice good size dents on the roof and hood each. Nothing that paintless dent removal can't fix. All others garaged. Glass was all intact. If you owned a Lexus, BMW or anything with a very low sloped window, you had no window and the frame would be bent up.

Trail Rated? Try Hail Rated!

Looking forward to more reasonable registration fees and inspections!

Carry on Sierra Chapter!

Thanks for the pics and narration, Bill. Glad to hear you and your fleet made it safe and sound to the destination. A bit of irony with the hail, but I know you will find a way to make the rigs perfect once again. I like the new motto, too, by the way. Hail Rated. That's great!

Back