• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Frog Blog

damn that thing is sexy, you ever worried about sheering that diff drain plug? gauging from the markings on my diff cover that thing would have been long gone...

damn that thing is sexy, you ever worried about sheering that diff drain plug? gauging from the markings on my diff cover that thing would have been long gone...

It has rock scuffs and I don't worry about shearing it off, but you might have a good point. The Lube Locker tends to nullify it's usefulness so maybe I'll reverse the drain plug during the next fluid change.

Last edited:

I've smashed and partially ground off the head of the drain plug on mine a couple of times now, doesn't seem to be prone to shearing off though. Usually I can just use the next size smaller allen wrench or the tip of a screwdriver to get it out. It's not torqued down (there's a rubber washer under the head) so it's pretty easy to get out even if it happens to get damaged.

Cherokee Crawl pics? Here they are! :D

Not one but 3 Gunmetal blue XJ's!
S7301021.jpg

Our "Easy" group
S7301010.jpg

More to come.......

Outstanding, Flexd. Looks like maybe you went back around for another shot on the trail. It's hard to beat a front locker. Looks like a good trip.

Oh and thanks for the video. That killed a few minutes while I wait in Denver for my flight to Tucson (digging my iphone).

Nah, that was the only time i ran the rock garden. In the secoond video we had to use my jeep as a winch anchor to get that big pile of jeep out of the obstacle! :D

I might be. My brother got the XJ and it could use some armor on it. I may also be interested in the front if you ever plan on going that route :anon:

OK, I will come up with a price when I return home from my Arizona trip this weekend. As much as I want a winch bumper, I probably won't change that since I park outside and I don't want to expose my winch to weather and thieves.

I like the rear bumper but I don't like my spare in the cargo area and I don't want the 80 pound spare on the roof. Too top heavy and too much wind resistance for my daily commute.

JCR has a 20% off sale which would mean their rear stage 3 bumper is $580 plus shipping. I'm thinking about selling my rear stage 2. Anybody interested?

Thats a good deal on the Stage 3. Mine is still holding up well. The spindle still glides as smooth as the day I greased it.

The kid and I spent 7 hours changing the RMS on his 2001 XJ today. Everything went together well without problems. He drove around the block and verified good oil pressure. We found black oil on the drip pan later today. The oil looked old so I'm hoping it was residue from the previous leak.

I hate the rear main seal. It's like the Justin Bieber of Cherokee parts.

HAHAHA. Yes, it is. I remember talking to you when I did mine.

The 01 has a different seal design than your 99.

I'd say this is the best-

xjcoloramberfire1.jpg
Thats a good one too! Not many of those are around. There was one in town but it was driven by idiots so it was pretty beat up. I'd love to build one up! I have an XJ to finish and an MJ to start first!

I spent some time on the XJ yesterday after work in preparation for Sean's Deer Valley/Slick Rock/Faux-Sierra Fest run this weekend. After removing the rear wheels, I inspected and adjusted the drum brakes before adjusting the slack in the emergency brake. It's nice having an e-brake again. Looks like I'll be buying new brake shoes at the end of the wheeling season, though. Drums were fine but the shoes are thin.

I also took the splay out of the RE leaf springs and re-torqued the 1/2" u-bolts to 65 ft lbs. They will likely fan out again after running DV and Slick Rock, but I kept them to the proper torque anyway. If they do, I'll go up to 75 ft lbs for the Jamboree run next weekend.

I tried tuning my Firestick II CB antenna and found that I could not get an swr below 10, which is bad for the transmitter. I read up on tuning the Firestick and learned a few things about my poor bumper mounting location (roof is best) and crappy aluminum shielded coax cable (copper weave is best). No time to fix all that before the next two weekends so I'll stick to my $10 Cobra magnetic roof-mounted antenna. Maybe I'll roast marshmallows with my 4' Firestick.

I also installed my winch, hi-lift jack, and filled the Jeep with 100 lbs of parts and equipment. The Frog is looking like a low rider now.

Back