• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The best rocker protection debate starts now

Ralph said:
Good rock rails all share the same key features. One: They attach to the uniframe. Either bolts or welds. Two: They are attached along the full length of the pinch seam. After that it doesn't really matter if its 3/16" or 1/4" steel, square or round tubing, they all will work. Get whichever one you like and/or can afford.

RR3

My rockrails dont even touch the pinch seam and they work just fine

ORGS All the way.....

I feel they offer the best combination of Protection for the lower pinch weld area AND the side of the vehicle (and nice to use to pivot off of in tight corners) AND Aesthetics, (I think they look the best, but that is just my opinion), the all square sliders just look to booty fab to me

bluexj89 said:
:wstupid:

so ur calling Cheap stupid for replacing his rockers with real metal? so then ur saying that Crash is stupid too? not to mention tons of others that have done this mod. it works quite well, watch the facts bud :wave:

Brad

Good people + good products = hard to go wrong.

One out of 2 ain't bad. I agree the ORGS rails do the job, but the owner is something else...

azxjman, I would highly question your last comment. Without attaching to the pinch seam the rail will have a huge amount of leverage over the frame rail. The frame rail isn't thick enough to counter that leverage. If you use the rails & rub hard they will end up into your rockers & leave nice dents where they hit. Remember we are looking for protection here, not steps.

Matt

I don't have my pics I'm at work, but I have forward momentum without the steps ,dropped the Jeep on them at badlands, they're freakin awesome, John
Bear549 said:
I say remove the rocker and replace it with 3" x 5" tube like OneTonXJ did this one. No loss of ground clearance and strengthens the frame.

IM000953.jpg

IM000957.jpg

JnJ said:
So, how do they mount?
they are welded to angle iron that is welded to the frame rail. I wanted them to sit a little lower than the pinch seam to help my short g/f get in.

XJARMOR makes some great rockers. Three frame mounting locations and nine on the pinch seam with plates running both sides the entire length. They work great with a Hi-Lift anywhere along the side. They sit nice and tight with the rocker panel, pinch seam, & frame, so no room to slap. I've come down on mine a few times with the entire weight of the rig and it barley scratched the powder coat. I think RE carries them now. XJARMOR gets my vote.

bradlyw said:
so ur calling Cheap stupid for replacing his rockers with real metal? so then ur saying that Crash is stupid too? not to mention tons of others that have done this mod. it works quite well, watch the facts bud :wave:

Brad
NO I couldn't find a smilie that said I am with them! I am replaceing my rockers with STEEL! I am too late to get protection! It's like useing a condom after she is knocked up and you have VD. I like that you loose 0 GC at the rockers or gain GC in some cases. I have seen no rocker protection that you loose no ground clearence with. Sorry don't didn't meen to call anyone stupid. Just agreeing with them.

azxjman said:
they are welded to angle iron that is welded to the frame rail. I wanted them to sit a little lower than the pinch seam to help my short g/f get in.
I believe Ralph was refering to bolt on rocker skids when he stated they should attach to the "uniframe" and pinch seam. Though, even with weld on I would attach them to the pinch seam as well. You "uniframe" will see a lot of stress if you use those a lot.

My pinch seam is notched where the outriggers pass through...the 2x2 outriggers (3 of them) press against the entire unibody. The rails don't move up.

Thanks for the feedback. I made up my mind. ORGS

Not one mention of rustys?

bluexj89 said:
NO I couldn't find a smilie that said I am with them! I am replaceing my rockers with STEEL! I am too late to get protection! It's like useing a condom after she is knocked up and you have VD. I like that you loose 0 GC at the rockers or gain GC in some cases. I have seen no rocker protection that you loose no ground clearence with. Sorry don't didn't meen to call anyone stupid. Just agreeing with them.

I made and installed rocker protection that does not lose any ground clearance, and it does not even attach to the unitframe (just the pinch weld seam below and the old rocker panel below the door, near the same places the box tube fix gets welded). There are no cross tubes between the frame and pinch weld seam. These guards have been hi-jacked (the static test) and dropped on with the full weight of the XJ (the dynamic test), and they have been used to pivot around rocks (they stick out 1.5 inches past the door sill). The beauty is they complement the lines of the XJ, so few notice they are there. The drawback is they attach at the rocker panel under the doorsill, and if your old rocker panels are crushed it's hard to hide the scars and get a good solid attachment (although they can be welded).

Ed A. Stevens said:
I made and installed rocker protection that does not lose any ground clearance, and it does not even attach to the unitframe (just the pinch weld seam below and the old rocker panel below the door, near the same places the box tube fix gets welded). There are no cross tubes between the frame and pinch weld seam. These guards have been hi-jacked (the static test) and dropped on with the full weight of the XJ (the dynamic test), and they have been used to pivot around rocks (they stick out 1.5 inches past the door sill). The beauty is they complement the lines of the XJ, so few notice they are there. The drawback is they attach at the rocker panel under the doorsill, and if your old rocker panels are crushed it's hard to hide the scars and get a good solid attachment (although they can be welded).
My rockers are well crushed! along with the pinch seam that is real flat! And like you said you had to make them. I was refering to comercially made rocker protection, I have not seen any that doesn't eat up ground clearance. I wish I would have added rocker protection before my rockers got into the condition they are in, but the bright side is now I can build better rails than I could ever buy and cost around $200 cheaper!

Custom 4x4's have taken all the abuse that Utah has to offer. After bolting them on you can then weld them on for seirios mounting strength. The fit and finish are great. And if thats not enough they are only $220 and come with some of the best customer service you can find. :viking:

Just build them yourself. Probably the easiest project for your jeep.
I built mine in a day. 3/16" 2X3...drop a blumb bob from your door and run the outter edge of your rocker to this point (plus 1/4") This helps protect the door....but only helps...(not all rocks and trees cooperate with this)
1 1/4" square up to the pinch seam and then to the uni-frame. Use good hardware...
Wish I could post some photos....but I'm not digital yet... :(
(maybe Santa will bring me a digital camera for Christmas!!!)
Good Luck

Rick

I vote for Custom 4x4. I put them on right before I went to a Jeep Jamboree last spring. That was the best money I ever spent. I bounced them off rocks and slid down ledges on them and the only thing I had to do was paint the scratches when I got back! :)

If you go Custom 4x4 the only suggestion I would make is to replace the bolts the kit comes with for grade 8 bolts. I have used my high lift to jack the jeep onto 2 wheels using the rock rails as the mount point! Not bad for bolt on....

Another vote for Andy's at Carolina Rock Shop. They're tough as nails. I used to run a set of Olympics, and tore 'em up. CRSU's have been awesome! In addition, the price is very competitive compared to others mentioned. :) Pics of 'em in sig...

I don't doubt ORGS are probably a great set of rocker skids. But at $400 it seems like a lot of them out there are just as well made for half that. That's coming from searching around and I don't even have rock sliders yet.

Back