• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Team NAXJA/Petty Cash Racing stock class KOH XJ build

depends how picky they get on the interpretation. XJ has a panhard linked setup. It's not just a 3/4link. So unless you have a panhard bar it's not a OEM style.

Great job on 2nd!!

unless its a wishbone 3 link, any 3 link will have a panhard. the OEM XJ is a 4link+panhard.

what they need is a 3 link+panhard.

A 3 link has to have a panhard, or it's not a 3 link. Links and coils and separate shocks is what it has to have, any configuration.

I'm happy to say that you're right. We're talking to Ruff Stuff about that already... ;)

See....I'm not as dumb as I look

COULDN'T BE! :gee:

unless its a wishbone 3 link, any 3 link will have a panhard. the OEM XJ is a 4link+panhard.

what they need is a 3 link+panhard.

This board terminology of this always confused me, anyways I'd agree with the above.

Sucks about the tranny issues. Are you guys running the Baja shifter on the tranny?

Are you guys running the Baja shifter on the tranny?
Not yet, even though RADesigns is a Petty Cash Racing sponsor. I personally find driving a stock AW4 infuriating after getting spoiled on my rigs that have the shifter, but Richard may be too old to learn new tricks. ;)

He seems to have mastered "Roll Over," though,

-Matt

The way the rule package sits, as long as we have coils up front, any link config is legal.

Changing to coilovers would not be legal, but we're good beyond that.

Not yet, even though RADesigns is a Petty Cash Racing sponsor. I personally find driving a stock AW4 infuriating after getting spoiled on my rigs that have the shifter, but Richard may be too old to learn new tricks. ;)

He seems to have mastered "Roll Over," though,

-Matt

I'm mixed on the manual shifter. I like letting the trans pick the gear in low range and in the rocks, it does a very good job and you don't have to give any thought to shifting or selecting the best gear. In high range in the go fast stuff I think I'd like selecting the gear better. So, we haven't done anything yet, but it's a possibility. Would like to have both.

I have definitely mastered "roll over". It's nice to drive with no fear. :D

I'm mixed on the manual shifter. I like letting the trans pick the gear in low range and in the rocks, it does a very good job and you don't have to give any thought to shifting or selecting the best gear. In high range in the go fast stuff I think I'd like selecting the gear better. So, we haven't done anything yet, but it's a possibility. Would like to have both.

All you need to switch between regular TCU control of the AW4 and any manual shifter (RADesigns, etc) is a DPDT switch. It's pretty simple - COM pins (middle row) go to the two solenoids, the two terminals at the top of the switch go to the TCU, the two at the bottom go to the manual shifter. Keep solenoid 1 on one side of the switch and solenoid 2 on the other. If the toggle is up, it'll be in manual mode, if it's down, regular automatic mode.

This doesn't give you torque converter lockup control, but that's one of the things I really don't understand people wanting control of. Stock TCU does fine on the torque converter lockup and the lockup shouldn't be used in 1st/2nd anyways, which is what most people think they want to use it for.

All you need to switch between regular TCU control of the AW4 and any manual shifter (RADesigns, etc) is a DPDT switch.

That would work but it's just another system to go wrong. Mention some issue with having to unplug/replug in the TCU. Seems like it would be simplier and more reliable to just remove it. I'm running full manual mode on mine and like it. How ever Richard does have a good point that it one more thing to remember to do. I'd really look at running the new winters shifter setup without the TCU control.

I have an ax-15. I've never forgotten to shift when I needed to in the rocks...
I think once you're used to it, you'll just be used to it, and you wont think about it.

I dont hardly stop and think when I push in the clutch, disengage the rear, grab the cutting brakes, shift to 3rd, crank the wheel, dump the clutch, burn around to the desired direction, throw the rear back in while on the throttle, let go of the cutting brakes then shift back to 2nd...

all I think is "I need to turn left" and the rest just happens...

Congrats on the race effort, and taking first in points!

I have an ax-15. I've never forgotten to shift when I needed to in the rocks...
I think once you're used to it, you'll just be used to it, and you wont think about it.

I dont hardly stop and think when I push in the clutch, disengage the rear, grab the cutting brakes, shift to 3rd, crank the wheel, dump the clutch, burn around to the desired direction, throw the rear back in while on the throttle, let go of the cutting brakes then shift back to 2nd...

all I think is "I need to turn left" and the rest just happens...

Congrats on the race effort, and taking first in points!

It's not about forgetting to shift, it's about being in the right gear for the right situation. I know you, me, or anyone else can pick the right gear for various trail situations, and with a little seat time we would do it automatically. I simply prefer the auto trans picking the right gear automatically. I always left foot brake, so I work the brake and the gas constantly, especially when racing in the rocks when you're moving quickly. Personal preference.

one issue I have with full elect shifters (I have both of Rads shifters and no TCU) is that you dont get engine braking no matter what unless the mech shifter is within 1 gear of the elect actuated gear.

I hated it at KOH last year and this year at GH it was not as bad but no rocks or heavy down hills.

I went ahead and got the Winters shifter and had rory send me his electronics for inside of it. Now it will just be a easy rail style manual without a clutch like it was suppose to be when we first did this. Only no one told us about the no engine braking. And most still argue that its just the TC lockup that does it, and they are fully wrong.

Congrats on the race and points!

It's not about forgetting to shift, it's about being in the right gear for the right situation. I know you, me, or anyone else can pick the right gear for various trail situations, and with a little seat time we would do it automatically. I simply prefer the auto trans picking the right gear automatically. I always left foot brake, so I work the brake and the gas constantly, especially when racing in the rocks when you're moving quickly. Personal preference.

I havent driven an auto in so long, I'd forgotten that a lot of folks enjoy using the brakes to modulate speed with the autos - good point. :compwork:

I know this is out of left field but, How do you like the Racelines vs the WE beadlocks? oh, and good luck this weekend! :patriot:

Getting back to this question:

We have only ever actually run Racelines on the car. We have a set of Walker Evens for the spare tires, that came off of Sean Rose's 4400 car. To be totally honest, the WE's are so beat up that only one of them will hold air for more than a few days at a time - so they will never be anything other than spares.

Having both wheels side by side though and able to look at them, I would only ever run the Racelines.

Have you guys been pleased with the 35" MTR on 17" wheel combo in the rocks? I haven't seen any complaints, so I assume so, but interested in seeing your comments.

Thanks,
Pat

It works really well! We cut one tire (single plug fixed it and has held air for two years now). They grab well, don't roll on themselves when you side hill.

I can't say its the best DOT tire out there, but its the best DOT tire I have ever used.

Back