• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Teach your kids to wrench

Apostle

NAXJA Forum User
Just remembered this, was going to post this before but forgot.

A couple weeks ago, headed up to crip crk and took the lower dirt road. going up i come upon a dodge truck (new) in the middle of the road. I ask if there are any problems (figure they may be site seeing) and girl driving says they have a flat. Ask if their spare is good, she said she doesnt know if she has one.

so my father and me pull over and offer to change it for her (he's working the lugs, im lowering the spare). Well low and behold her two friends (boys) show up (they were walking down the road to get in cell phone range to call her dad). These kids are about 17 - 19.

None of them knew how to change a tire...

We changed it, got her back on the road and went about our business.

I just couldnt believe that they didnt know how to do this. The girl I can understand, but the two boys (could tell they were a waste of oxygen).

Both my kids, 16 boy/14 girl, already know basic maintenance. No way would i let them get stuck without knowing somewhat of a way to get out of it.

Dont think anyone here would fall into this catagory, but thought i would share an opinion.

i had a friend in highschool who wasn't allowed to get his license untill he could change a tire, change the oil, and check all the other fluids by himself. good rule if you ask me.

Man I knew how to change a tire when I was like 13. And could do most of the basics like check fluid level, and basic things when I was 14. Then learned harder things like changing oil, diff fluid changes when I was 16. Im glad my dad made me learn how to do maintenance because I dont have to rely on him.

wow. being a girl doesnt mean your allowed to not know how to change a tire. the tire that blows out doesnt care. thats why my gf knows how to change a spare now. and hell i even had to tighten my track bar yesterday on the side of the road when i started getting death wobble.
point is that you should be familiar with your vehicle because its part of safety.

thats my 2 cents:jester:

Thanks to my older sisters, who werent great drivers, I learned how to change struts and fenders and brakes and front suspension parts all before I was 16. All that other stuff seemed pretty common sense by the time I was 16. I wouldnt call myself a master mechanic, but I know my way around an xj for sure.

WTF??? It tells you step by step how to change a tire in the owners manual.

WOW!!!! My father is a retired mechanic that collects antique cars and a basic requirement if you wanted a vehicle before leaving home permanently was to learn how to work on everything from the front to the rear bumper. Even my cute little sister still changes her own oil and performs maintenance on the family rigs.

How do hou change a tire?:D

My spare is flat! now what?????????????????????????:wierd:

What is this world coming 2 "free" healthcare ect. pretty soon we'll have to have the gov come out and "fix" our cars! Afterall why should we have to do that!:skull2:

WOW!!!! My father is a retired mechanic that collects antique cars and a basic requirement if you wanted a vehicle before leaving home permanently was to learn how to work on everything from the front to the rear bumper. Even my cute little sister still changes her own oil and performs maintenance on the family rigs.

pics or ban

pics or ban
Be truthful now, you just want to know if she's single.

All four of my sisters could shoot a gun and change a tire before they were old enough to get a driver's license. We weren't expected to solve every problem, we were taught to not be helpless.

That said, not everyone should be entrusted with a tool set. :)

Growing up around my house meant working on your vehicles mostly because funds were low and you may have to keep that $400 dollar car running to get to work the next day. My dad is a jack of all trades kinda guy who would put blood and sweat into everything he owned before he would give money to another guy to fix it. He never took anything for granted either like alot of the people out there these days. So I feel like I have learned a lot from the old man even though he could be a SOB to work with when I was younger!

Get 'em started young and make a fun experience and that way everyone has a good time.
My daughter Rebecca helping with the first 4.6L build (2006!!).
4d5krrn.jpg

My son Daniel installed the pistons.

2z9beo0.jpg

4hjhgeq.jpg

my daughter at 17 when she got her license did her brakes, oil tune up and rebuilt and repainted the back bumper. she's cool

Get 'em started young and make a fun experience and that way everyone has a good time.
My daughter Rebecca helping with the first 4.6L build (2006!!).
4d5krrn.jpg

My son Daniel installed the pistons.

2z9beo0.jpg

4hjhgeq.jpg

aw man, you're not seriously blaming your kids for the "curse" and your first stroker's failure are ya!??! :D Jeesh, that father of the year award is long gone this year... ;)

Back