• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swingout vs the rooftop

It could be done I'm sure, but a 33 or 35 would block a lot of the view out the windshield. JIM.

i had my 35 on my roof and it was horrible. now i run it inside in the cargo area along with 2 amo boxes, compressor and random recovery stuff. there is plenty of room inside

I had an 84 full-size Bronco w/o the external tire carrier, but wanted to move the spare outside.

One of my clients had a body shop and said he would install it if I gathered up the parts, which I preceded to do.

What neither of us realized is that to do the job there are body and tailgate reinforcements that had to be cut out of a donor and then welded into my rig.

Bigger job than we had anticipated, and that was a Bronco to Bronco install.

I leave my XJ's spare tied down in the cargo area floor, and when going on long trips I pull my PackMule trailer.

So how do you guys fit a 245/75/R16 tire in the stock location?

So how do you guys fit a 245/75/R16 tire in the stock location?

By modifying a lot of stuff! I tried it with a 31 and said screw it and ordered a JCR stage 3 rear bumper.

I like my roof spare. I've thought about going swingout, but they're darn expensive, and I hate the idea of having to swing it out every time I open my tailgate. Also I worry about getting wedged and not having enough room to swing out the tire AND open the tailgate. I wouldn't want it taking up room inside the jeep either, I already have roll out drawers and they take up enough room as is. With a spare back there too I wouldn't have room for my cooler :) I know it's not the best for COG. But everything is a compromise.

Of course it's a 33x12.5, which is big but not huge. If it was any bigger, I probably wouldn't want to muscle it up there anymore.

Back