• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swingout vs the rooftop

Not possible for everyone, but I love where my 37" SS TSL sits.

DSC00538.jpg

Matt, I will be on 31s soon myself. Ive considered the options and Im keeping my spare inside in the factory location. I know I cant get a 31" BFG MT in there, Ive tried. My solution will be to make or modify the rear seat bracket so the back of the rear seat sits about 1" further forward. This will allow enough room for the 31 to fit in the stock location and shouldnt effect the use of the rear seat enough to make any difference. My Hi Lift will mount on the roof rack. If I need extra storage for long trips or camping, I'll use a low profile roof carrier.

Okay. Some late thoughts on the Swingout V Rooftop' debate:

- If you're going to flop, you're going to flop. An argument in favour of safety could be made against roofracks in that situation - but, by the same token, no two rolls are the same. The majority of us don't run caged XJs, and I can see how it would be possible for the tyre and rack to take the brunt of the hit, somewhat absorbing the collapsing forces on the roof.

- Centre of mass. With a roofrack, you can at least locate your overage cargo between the axles and plan accordingly: if it's hanging off the rear, it's not suspended - aka 'unsprung mass', and more than is within tolerance. In my case, given that I tend to climb steep obstacles, I'd much rather have that mass between the axles rather than back of them.

Is one better tham the other? Not necessarily. It depends on the wheeling you're doing. Which, by itslef, means that you need to figure out what works for you and go with it.

Ray H said:
Matt, I will be on 31s soon myself. Ive considered the options and Im keeping my spare inside in the factory location. I know I cant get a 31" BFG MT in there, Ive tried. My solution will be to make or modify the rear seat bracket so the back of the rear seat sits about 1" further forward. This will allow enough room for the 31 to fit in the stock location and shouldnt effect the use of the rear seat enough to make any difference. My Hi Lift will mount on the roof rack. If I need extra storage for long trips or camping, I'll use a low profile roof carrier.
Because of my $money$ situation i am going to try this first.

Have you ever know anyone to build a platform in the cargo area and have it work out for them. have seen pics but nothing about the pros and cons of doing one. One of my big things is at any moment when i am out i may need to use my cargo area so i like to keep it clean.

OOOOOH yeh this is a BIG issue too. Security for me because it is DD, I understand that if some is going to steal it they will do what ever it takes. I figure it would be harder to steal from the roof because it going to high off the ground but more visiable. or is the back swing out safer. I have seen for the Surco rack that you may install a Hi-Lift Sec-Lok which you may put a lock on, is that good enough.

casm said:
Okay. Some late thoughts on the Swingout V Rooftop' debate:

- If you're going to flop, you're going to flop. An argument in favour of safety could be made against roofracks in that situation - but, by the same token, no two rolls are the same. The majority of us don't run caged XJs, and I can see how it would be possible for the tyre and rack to take the brunt of the hit, somewhat absorbing the collapsing forces on the roof.

- Centre of mass. With a roofrack, you can at least locate your overage cargo between the axles and plan accordingly: if it's hanging off the rear, it's not suspended - aka 'unsprung mass', and more than is within tolerance. In my case, given that I tend to climb steep obstacles, I'd much rather have that mass between the axles rather than back of them.

Is one better tham the other? Not necessarily. It depends on the wheeling you're doing. Which, by itslef, means that you need to figure out what works for you and go with it.
I believe that this tread is one of those threads that asks which came first the chicken or the egg.:confused1

For me I like the idea of the roof rack that is if the cargo area does not fail me. As you said centre of mass. if i am going to have a 3 to 3.5in lift with some 31's and missing the REAR swaybars on my XJ i already have a higher center of gravity which i will have changed my driving habits(no fast turns), the roof rack really wont change much.

moparmatt said:
Because of my $money$ situation i am going to try this first.

Wait, which - the roof rack or the swing-out carrier?

Have you ever know anyone to build a platform in the cargo area and have it work out for them. have seen pics but nothing about the pros and cons of doing one. One of my big things is at any moment when i am out i may need to use my cargo area so i like to keep it clean.

Quite a few folks have done exactly this. If you search the picture forum and/or xjdb.com, you'll find a fair few photos.

I have seen for the Surco rack that you may install a Hi-Lift Sec-Lok which you may put a lock on, is that good enough.

What I do is to use Project Childsafe gun locks. They're essentially cable padlocks, available for free from most local PDs and loop nicely through the jack, tyre holder, and fuel can handles; if you get multiple ones from the same department, they typically use the same key. Of course, I don't leave much more than the bare rack up there most of the time - I figure that unless I'm actually going somewhere, there's no need to draw more attention to myself than necessary. They're by no means the ultimate in security, but they are at least a decent deterrent to most would-be thieves.

Last edited:
moparmatt said:

I use a common bread rack found at most grocery stores. Ask the bakery manager for one or two. They're usually about 6" high and about 26" by 28" in size. They're a hard plastic, stackable and very easy to set on top of the spare tire and strap down. When on long trips (Moab, Rubicon) or traveling with someone with their gear, I load it up with with stuff and then run a strap or bungee net over it so things don't go flying. Get where you're going, pull the whole thing out. It can also ride on your roof if you need more space and is light enough to ride on its edge when empty. It's a great temporary way to utilize your space without making permanent and sometimes heavy additions to your rig.

breadtray.jpg

It's also great for carrying 12 loaves of bread. ;)

moparmatt said:
OOOOOH yeh this is a BIG issue too. Security for me because it is DD
You probably don't need to carry your spare around for daily driving duties.

Leave it in your garage, and just strap it down in the cargo area when you go wheeling. A 31" tire will lay flat between the back seat and the hatch just fine. Don't spend several hundred dollars on a new rear bumper or a new roof rack until you've tried carrying your spare inside the Jeep.

casm said:
Wait, which - the roof rack or the swing-out carrier?
I sorry, I am going to see if a 31" spare fits in the rear cargo and if my hi lift jack will fit compact in the cargo area as well and maybe see if a platform is workable for my application.

casm said:
Quite a few folks have done exactly this. If you search the picture forum and/or xjdb.com, you'll find a fair few photos.
Yeh that is the website i was lookin for thanks

John90XJ said:
I use a common bread rack found at most grocery stores. Ask the bakery manager for one or two. They're usually about 6" high and about 26" by 28" in size. They're a hard plastic, stackable and very easy to set on top of the spare tire and strap down. When on long trips (Moab, Rubicon) or traveling with someone with their gear, I load it up with with stuff and then run a strap or bungee net over it so things don't go flying. Get where you're going, pull the whole thing out. It can also ride on your roof if you need more space and is light enough to ride on its edge when empty. It's a great temporary way to utilize your space without making permanent and sometimes heavy additions to your rig.

breadtray.jpg

It's also great for carrying 12 loaves of bread. ;)
That is one heck of a idea. My Grandpa retired from KREMO bakery and i am sure he has a few laying around his house. Thanks for the idea.

Mambeu said:
You probably don't need to carry your spare around for daily driving duties.

Leave it in your garage, and just strap it down in the cargo area when you go wheeling. A 31" tire will lay flat between the back seat and the hatch just fine. Don't spend several hundred dollars on a new rear bumper or a new roof rack until you've tried carrying your spare inside the Jeep.
No I need to take it with me. "It is a jungle out there!" South Bend, Indiana is the worst place for tires. When it comes to DDing. There are always nails and other crap to get stuck in your tires around here. The potholes are the WORST around here. Heck we have a news channel that will pay you if you find the worst pothole street in town. Matter of Fact i was going about 45mph in my first car (87 Plymouth Reliant) and hit a giant pothole and bent my rims on the passanger side.

Here in South Bend there are tires shops on every corner like starbucks in L.A.

Do not get me wrong I like the idea because of the cost and that is more than likely what i will do (carry the tire in the cargo area).

moparmatt said:
I believe that this tread is one of those threads that asks which came first the chicken or the egg.:confused1

Has to be the chicken as how else would the egg by itself by incubated at exactly the right temperature so it can hatch. Further more what fertilized the egg in the first place if there was no rooster as well? That saying has never held any logic to me. ;)

moparmatt said:
You are most right my friend

You need to take a trip to the midwest some time ALL FLAT for the most part. Most offroading out here is MUDDIN' or forest trails and most recent snow.

You haven't been out wheeling much. Plenty of opportunities for flops & roll overs in the Mid West. JIM.

Detour said:
We're actually developing an affordable alternative which is projected to be
available the 1st of the year, complete with recovery points as well.

Oooh...tell me more. :D

I hate the fact that rear tire carrier bumpers are so expensive, already working on a setup that will run under $400 complete (bumper and carrier) without looking like a dogpile.

But I've got 2 customers I'm throwing ideas around with on a roofrack/tailgate mount for a spare. Obviously the rack will be functional roofrack for carrying cargo but it will also attach to the liftgate. The spare could be mounted on the liftgate section, but then easily slid forward and locked into place on the roofrack. So if your tire was on the roof and you wanted it down, you lift the trailgate, pull a pin and slide it back onto the gate and lower.Yes I know the liftgate on the older XJ's are fiberglass but the bulk of the weight and stress would be handled by the rack. Everything is pretty straightforward except for the pivoting mechanism and some form of additional assist springs.

ILLXJ said:
You haven't been out wheeling much. Plenty of opportunities for flops & roll overs in the Mid West. JIM.

Compaired to the amount of wheeling you have done, I really have very little under my belt in my XJ, If I can go back and count 1,2,3,......... i have been out about 25 times. Now most of those were on a farm with trails and mostly mud. The trails have some but very few declines/inclines and such. I have watched tons of videos on youtube.com and google.video.com, and a few other places and have see rollovers happen in some of the dumbes and weirdest places and i know i too am at risk just because i am talking about it. Hell i could happen on the road. My dad witness a accident where a lifted ford pickup flipped over when he was making a turn. That is one of the reason i do not have a lift yet. Yes i still live at home with my parents:looser:.

Oh if i had more time i would join a local offroad club but the required metting times are held durring one of my classes.

AJsArmor said:
I hate the fact that rear tire carrier bumpers are so expensive, already working on a setup that will run under $400 complete (bumper and carrier) without looking like a dogpile.

But I've got 2 customers I'm throwing ideas around with on a roofrack/tailgate mount for a spare. Obviously the rack will be functional roofrack for carrying cargo but it will also attach to the liftgate. The spare could be mounted on the liftgate section, but then easily slid forward and locked into place on the roofrack. So if your tire was on the roof and you wanted it down, you lift the trailgate, pull a pin and slide it back onto the gate and lower.Yes I know the liftgate on the older XJ's are fiberglass but the bulk of the weight and stress would be handled by the rack. Everything is pretty straightforward except for the pivoting mechanism and some form of additional assist springs.

what is your status on this project?

cheers.

If you haven't done anything yet... Keep the tire off the roof. It's a pain to get down and you loose lots of MPG's. The Hi-Lift is fine on top, but secure it good or you will hear lots of funny noises from up there. I had my tire up there years ago, because that's what everyone was doing. Now I'm actually considering ditching the roof rack that I have only ever really used once in 6 years.

I had my tire mounted on my confer rack and the weight of the 33" and steel wheel started to show stress cracks in the rack plus besides lifting the tire up to the top of the rack, it always felt top heavy. Sence I bought a new rear bumper with a tire rack the difference with the tire on the back was very noticeable plus I have more room on the rack to take other supplies.

No sense in opening a new thread because my question is directly related to this. I was wondering who has knowledge of using say a blazer or broncoII swingout tire carrier on an XJ...I'm sure fabrication is involved...is it worth the hassle?

The reason I ask is because there are a few BroncoII's at pull-a-part with the swingout still in tact....I figure for 80 bucks and some minor fab work it would be worth doing....

Give me your two cents

No sense in opening a new thread because my question is directly related to this. I was wondering who has knowledge of using say a blazer or broncoII swingout tire carrier on an XJ...I'm sure fabrication is involved...is it worth the hassle?

The reason I ask is because there are a few BroncoII's at pull-a-part with the swingout still in tact....I figure for 80 bucks and some minor fab work it would be worth doing....

Give me your two cents

Just finished adapting a S10 blazer swing out rack to the back of my XJ. Some pain involved, but if you have a moderatly strong rear bumper, and can weld a little, not really bad.

I fit a 35" Dunlop mud rover tire flat in the cargo area with the rear seat up and locked in place. Sure it is a tight fit but it keeps the hatch from rattling. It is bolted to the floor via 3 legs and the C02 bottle rack and would keep the tire in place during a roll over or crash.

It keeps my CG as low as possible and with my roof at 6'1" I would not want to lift a 35" tire and rim up there or even get it down. I built a platform that still allows a flat section for storing items. I use this area for my tool boxes that their own spot and are held down with eye hooks and bungee cords, my 48" high lift sits in a cradle and is held down in the same manor. The added bonus with a 12.5" wide tire I can store 1 gallon jugs of liquid under the platform.

You got any pix?

Back