• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swamp Lake July 15-17.....latest info

well I am calling the ranger tomorrow to do a check up on it. Find out what gates are closed (if any).

Then saturday I am going to freaking fly through it. I think I may start the trail bymyself at about 8am and going to try to be back in fresno that night. I will prolly start at the north end so I have less chance of breaking. Going down most the hard stuff and using gravity for gas. :laugh3:

I really REALLY would love a seccond vehicle to be safe. But I continually hear so many different stories on its condition. One of us needs to see whats going on.

Anyone know someone in this area who can handle a fast trip through swamp?

As a side note to those much older and wiser than me. If the trail is labled closed, but gates are open. is it illegal to be in there? Also, if the only thing is fallen trees, are we allowed to take some chainsaws and clear the trail properly? rather than the forest service or Fresno4x4?

Scrappy said:
As a side note to those much older and wiser than me. If the trail is labled closed, but gates are open. is it illegal to be in there? Also, if the only thing is fallen trees, are we allowed to take some chainsaws and clear the trail properly? rather than the forest service or Fresno4x4?

Good questions.....and I don't know the answers. I do know that it isn't the rangers that will run the trail and check for snow and trees, it would be the Fresno club people. I do know that the gate near the south end is closed, and the reason is snow on the hill leading up to that gate.......so you could have trouble running it, and could easily have to turn back and retrace your steps from Mud Lakes back to the top.

BTW, I took Thursday off next week, and will be going up early to talk to the ranger and see what I can find out.........if we don't find out by then that it's open.

I called the rangers yesterday. The gal I spoke with said that the Swamp won't be open for a couple of weeks due to snow and fallen timber. I asked about Red and Coyote and she said they would be open before Swamp but did not have any dates.
With any luck the Fresno club will have Red and Coyote open by next week. If not then it looks like we will be on Bald.

As far as the chainsaws are concerned. From what I understand you need to go thru the FS training on how to use one before they let you help clear trails. I guess if no one is around no one would know.

I HAD mine as well. It was a 2 year cert. and never reupped sadly.

This saturday night and sunday I am going to scout into swamp. Its decided that I should head in from the south and get to the closed gate(if still closed).

I will know this weekend whether or not the trail will be passable by next weekend. If there are only a foot or so of snow, Fresno4x4 will prolly open it. A few think that the Fresno4x4 people will be up there already, so I might also beable to talk to them.

If it ends up looking not to good, I am going to go ahead and cruise up to Red/Coyote. Check that out as well.

If all else fails we can just make a big camp at bald and relax and get stupid.

Chainsaws

The local club here has several adopt-a-trails that we clear each year. As far as I know, we don't have members as certified to operate chain saws by the FS. Goatman - is anyone in the Bakersfield Trailblazers certified?

No, we run chainsaws to clear our trails every year......no certification needed.

I was told that Red Lake would definitely be open this weekend. I was also told that the trees would be taken care of.........some of the people in the office must not have all the information, since I got a few different stories depending on who I talked to. I'm taking the OHV rangers word as the best source, so he's who I'm quoting.

However it turns out, we'll be fine.

Well i got home just a little bit ago. Wonderful trip this weekend. But not the news everyone wants to hear im sure.

Got on the swamp trail about 4:30 yesterday afternoon. I drove in from the south and went up to the top of the first big ridge. Then BAM. a TON of snow.

swampsnow5at.jpg

He is 6'4" for comparison.

The first few patches were like that. Then it was a solid snow pack from there all the way down.

I would put money that Swamp wont open till at least august.

So there you go. the MattS weather report.

Well, it looks like running Swamp is out. I'll confirm it with the Ranger on Mon, or Tues if I can't reach him. If Coyote is going to be open, we'll run Red Lake/Coyote Lake trail and camp at Coyote, and probably do a side trip to Mirror Lake. If Coyote is still closed, we'll run Bald Mtn trail and then run into Red Lake to camp. All of the choices are good, so we'll be fine whatever we end up doing.

We'll camp at the same place on Thursday night, directions are below. We'll do a potluck for dinner on Sat evening. There are nice outhouses at both Red Lake and Coyote Lake. Bring a little firewood if you can. We'll leave from the Ranger station in Dinkey Creek at 8:30 on Friday morning.

See you there.

From a previous post:

The best place to gas up is in Prather, which is on Hwy 168 at the bottom of the big grade. It's possible to fill up in Clovis and run the whole trail and drive back to Clovis to fill up again, so fuel isn't real critical on this run. There is a Texaco station at the top of the big grade, but it closes early, like around 8:00 pm, so it's not good to count on it unless you're early. There is gas at the Dinkey Creek store, but it's expensive, and best used only for emergencies. There are also showers at the store.

It's best to use block ice, which will easily last the 3 day weekend, then fill in with crushed. The Dinkey Creek store sells ice, so you can top off Friday morning if you need to.

Here are directions. Take Hwy 168 heading NE out of Fresno/Clovis, towards Shaver Lake and Huntington Lake. If you're coming from the south, exit Hwy 99 at Kingsburg and go north until you reach Hwy 168 (about 30 miles), then make a right. If you're coming from the north, exit Hwy 99 at Herndon, and drive all the way through town, then bear left onto Hwy 168. The new freeway through Fresno turns into Hwy 168, so you can take it off of either Hwy 99 from the north or Hwy 41 from the south, if you want.
So, heading NE on Hwy 168, follow the signs to Shaver Lake, which is roughly an hour drive from Fresno. As you are coming into the town of Shaver Lake, make a right turn onto Dinkey Creek Rd, where there will be a sign saying Wishon and Courtright Reserviors. Continue on Dinkey Creek Rd for around 15 miles, and as you are coming into Dinkey Creek, look for another sign saying Wishon and Courtright Reserviors. Make a right turn at this sign onto McKinley Grove Rd......very important! If you miss this right turn, you will drive past the ranger station and the Dinkey Creek store and end up at Dinkey Campground. After making the right turn onto McKinley Grove Rd, immediately crossing the Dinkey Creek bridge, go for about 1/4 mile and look for the Camp Fresno sign on the left. At this sign, there are two roads that go to the left, the first cuts back sharply and goes to Camp Fresno, the second is road 10S36. Turn left onto 10S36 and immediately turn right into the trees, which is our camping spot. We'll try to have someone monitoring CB channel 4 if you get close and have trouple finding us.

Goatman said:
Well, it looks like running Swamp is out. I'll confirm it with the Ranger on Mon, or Tues if I can't reach him. If Coyote is going to be open, we'll run Red Lake/Coyote Lake trail and camp at Coyote, and probably do a side trip to Mirror Lake. If Coyote is still closed, we'll run Bald Mtn trail and then run into Red Lake to camp. All of the choices are good, so we'll be fine whatever we end up doing.

We'll camp at the same place on Thursday night, directions are below. We'll do a potluck for dinner on Sat evening. There are nice outhouses at both Red Lake and Coyote Lake. Bring a little firewood if you can. We'll leave from the Ranger station in Dinkey Creek at 8:30 on Friday morning.

See you there.

Rich,
Are Rock Rails still required for Coyote of Bald Mt.? There is a slight chance mine may not get here in time.

Thanks....

SharkXJ said:
Rich,
Are Rock Rails still required for Coyote of Bald Mt.? There is a slight chance mine may not get here in time.

Thanks....

You might want them running into Coyote, but you should be OK running Bald Mtn and going into Red Lake. Just be careful.....

Of course, it only takes that one rock........but you'll cover it up with the rock rails anyway, right? :)

Goatman said:
Of course, it only takes that one rock........but you'll cover it up with the rock rails anyway, right? :)

HAHA - NICE!!! I ordered them last week and Fed Ex says they "should" be here by Wednesday. But if they are late I am hosed, so we shall see.

For those that are thinking about making it, but cant make it thursday. I am leaving Fresno at 6:30 friday evening. I am going straight to Red Lake. Anyone else going late?

Edit: didnt see Rangerbois post. oops

Hey Matt,

Where are you going to meet up? I am planning on heading up on Friday AM to meet with the main group but there is always a chance I may not finish all the work I want to do before the trip by Friday AM, so it I might run up with you.

I think I fixed the 4-low problem tonight. A new trans mount and adjusting the linkage (again) and it now seems to stay in gear. I ordered new motor mounts, but I don't think they will arrive in time. Thanks to Farmer Matt for the suggestion about replacing the motor and tranny mounts.

Scrappy said:
For those that are thinking about making it, but cant make it thursday. I am leaving Fresno at 6:30 friday evening. I am going straight to Red Lake. Anyone else going late?

Edit: didnt see Rangerbois post. oops

I'm about out of here.
Meeting B.C. later this evening and it looks like we'll camp at Dinkey Creek tonight and meet everyone there tomorrow.
I got carnitas, beans, tortillias, cheese, chips and salsa for the pot luck.

kr7o said:
Are the modified run plans for the weekend a one tank trip now or is extra gas necessary?

One tank should handle it easily, especially if you fill up in Prather.

Back