• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Superwinch EPi9.0=Fail

My bet on why it broke the grille - the bumper was likely flexed a bit forward from the tension on the line, when the line suddenly went slack because of the winch nuking itself, the bumper snapped back and threw the winch remains into the grille. That plastic gets pretty brittle in the cold so it wouldn't take much to break it, chunks of winch thrown from close range would do it easily.
Since I built the bumper I feel more than qualified to address this post.

The bumper can't "flex." 1/4" plate and gussets under the winch plate make it rock solid. I've been using the same basic design on my rig and sold quite a few others as well. If it were a design flaw there would be an angry (and ugly ;)) hoard of Naxja members showing up at my house with the intent of beating me to a pulp.

As for why the grill got busted, the winch is mounted very close to the grill. When the rear mounting point broke the winch rotated rearward and the rear twisted up and back into he header panel.

Keep in mind that the drum is being turned in a clockwise direction (when viewed from the passenger side). When the mounting points fail, the motor is going to continue to turn the drum and any other parts that are no longer secured. Considering that the winch was in use and under load, the damage to the header panel is not suprising.

Make sense?

Since I built the bumper I feel more than qualified to address this post.

The bumper can't "flex." 1/4" plate and gussets under the winch plate make it rock solid. I've been using the same basic design on my rig and sold quite a few others as well. If it were a design flaw there would be an angry (and ugly ;)) hoard of Naxja members showing up at my house with the intent of beating me to a pulp.

As for why the grill got busted, the winch is mounted very close to the grill. When the rear mounting point broke the winch rotated rearward and the rear twisted up and back into he header panel.

Keep in mind that the drum is being turned in a clockwise direction (when viewed from the passenger side). When the mounting points fail, the motor is going to continue to turn the drum and any other parts that are no longer secured. Considering that the winch was in use and under load, the damage to the header panel is not suprising.

Make sense?

I would like to see these gussets you are refering to. I cannot seem to figure out what you mean. .25 plate will and can flex under load. I'm liking my bumper more and more all the time. Foot mounted FTW!

Tough to see since the bumper is all black, but if you look below the fairlead you'll see the gussets that are welded under the winch plate and to the rear plate as well. They are approx 1" away from the winch mounting holes.
mhrg4y.jpg

I've used my winch and bumper combination to pull my rig and recovered Jeeps, Toyota trucks, and even a Fullsize 4 door GMC Yukon that got himself stuck in a very precarious position on a muddy hillside. Never had any issues......ever.

Tough to see since the bumper is all black, but if you look below the fairlead you'll see the gussets that are welded under the winch plate and to the rear plate as well. They are approx 1" away from the winch mounting holes.
mhrg4y.jpg

I've used my winch and bumper combination to pull my rig and recovered Jeeps, Toyota trucks, and even a Fullsize 4 door GMC Yukon that got himself stuck in a very precarious position on a muddy hillside. Never had any issues......ever.

Ok so you have a plate along the back that is gusseted to the flat plate on the top. Is the back plate .25 too? Mine is built to pull to the feet.

that brings the suck. I worked my regular EP 9 out yesterday pulling some stumps. We had to chock my wheels because the winch was pulling the MJ across the pavement.

I prefer the EP series to the EPi, because it does not have that big cast solenoid thingy that connects the top, it just has four metal bars.

that and I can get to the solenoids in about 2 minutes.

Thanks for chiming in with that information Frank.

Yep it is the suck. Wheeling is on hold till I get this sorted out. Since we still have a good amount of snow, I really don't care to venture out without a winch.

I am shipping the winch to Superwinch tomorrow, haven't had the time the last few days. So we shall see.

Back