• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY AUGUST 14 western Ma trail run

BIG-G said:
After 3 junk yards and dozens of XJ's i found one pair of rusted bent up brackets that werent worth a penny. I did however pick up a t-case skid for $15 bucks. I have to say that after looking at the bracketry i cant see how you guys make it such a big part to have when its NOT that big of a piece of bracket.
To please you guys i did contact someone to purchase the brackets and i'll put em on BUT i just dont get it when i can build a way stronger, thicker steel, longer, wider, "L" shape the frame, more taped grade 8 bolts in strengthened spots, ETC>>>> but thats just my opinion. I like to go nuts with the welder and id just use the bracket to hold the hooks but i know im gonna eventually gonna wanna weld way more steel to that bracket, spread the weight out further, weld some more, tap in those bolts and i bet i can get a crane to pick my XJ up in the air by the hooks and stand underneath it when im done!!!
OK now go ahead and start the antics but bottom line is that i got the dam brackets and hooks for the trail run on the 14th.
Big-G

you need to mellow out just a bit man.... i appreciate your enthusiasm for the sport and it's more than obvious that you want to be part of what's going on here in NAXJA. but you also have to understand that i do not know you from the 10,000 other users and members here on our site. so when you tell me you have a welder and you want to "fab" something i cannot and will not vouch for it's strength and integrity strictly thru verbal descriptions. do NOT act as though you have been stone-walled and forced to purchase something. your "typed words" came across with ALOT of crap-attitude.. i am going to assume it was not meant to be such. and will not dwell on this subject. there is some incredibly strong "home fab" stuff out there and you are likely cpable of creating some i'm sure. but i do not ever want to stick my head under anyones rig at a trailhead and tell them "no" because something isnt up to snuff.

now lets go wheeling damnit! :gag:

sidriptide said:
you need to mellow out just a bit man.... i appreciate your enthusiasm for the sport and it's more than obvious that you want to be part of what's going on here in NAXJA. but you also have to understand that i do not know you from the 10,000 other users and members here on our site. so when you tell me you have a welder and you want to "fab" something i cannot and will not vouch for it's strength and integrity strictly thru verbal descriptions. do NOT act as though you have been stone-walled and forced to purchase something. your "typed words" came across with ALOT of crap-attitude.. i am going to assume it was not meant to be such. and will not dwell on this subject. there is some incredibly strong "home fab" stuff out there and you are likely cpable of creating some i'm sure. but i do not ever want to stick my head under anyones rig at a trailhead and tell them "no" because something isnt up to snuff.

now lets go wheeling damnit! :gag:

Point taken and accepted! See you on the 14th!

Something has come up fellas that involves money and my wifey and i need a lawyer. However my enthusiasm still remains for the trip and i have gotten more armor, and trimmed fenders and such. The only 2 things that lay at hand are the tow hooks,,, i cannot afford the class 3 hitch anymore with the 2" reciever "even tho i just bought the 2" shackle d-ring to put in it". Even have a new power steering pump and am adding a second steering stabliser.

As for the front, well all i can say is that i can fab up as much as possible with the minds of a few others and myself and use good old fassion steel & grade 8 bolts and maybe do the same for the rear and take the chance on meeting you guys near sprinfield and you can give me the yes or no then. That is all i can offer right now. No offense will be taken towards me if you do not accept what you see so dont feel as if im pushing to come along so bad that im willing to risk safety!! Im just letting you guys so you know the details at hand.
It will be up to you guys plus sid when we meet near springfield if i get the go ahead or not; AND NO OFFENCE WILL BE TAKEN TOWARDS ME if i have to go back home.
Any fabrication advice for front and back towing points from some of you pros and knowledgeable XJ builders would be the greatest right now. I will take pics step by step to show you how much work, fabrication, & knowlege we will all use.

Thanks and i hope i make it cause i havent gone wheeling yet with the board and this is NOT a far trip!

Big-G

Sigh -- I wish I could go but there is no way I can get all the requisites together in time.

Can I get a PM on trailhead location? I wouldn't mind driving out and meeting some of you folks before you head out. It's not a long drive for me in the least.

Thanks!

Matthew

Hey tetsulo, you are more than welcome to ride with me for part or all of the day of you want to meet us out there and then just ride. Let me know!!

What's the chances you won't kick out a Rubicon if I show up following NHrocker and his (ours) XJ?
I haven't had the chance to really get out and get dirty....
pretty much stock rubicon, with custom built SkinnyPete front and rear bumper system, 2" reciever both ends...33" x 12.5" MTR's on 15x8 steel rims, 1 1/2" coil lift for some extra space.
Other than that, its ready to rock!
Rob is doing everything he can to get the time to take the run down-hasn't told me NOT to come so I figured I"d find out if you XJ'ers wouldn't mind a rubicon tagging along....
I don't have PM so you'd have to email me direct...and I don't mind someone riding shotgun!
Have softtop-will drop it for open air ride!
[email protected]

Sidriptide will be running his TJ and leaving his XJ at home, so I don't think it'll be a problem. :D But Mike has the last word on this.

Just make sure your set with this also:

Equipment List

1. Visibly charged fire extinguisher (BC or ABC)
2. First aid kit
3. Adequate spare tire, jack and lug wrench
4. Safety belts for driver and any current passenger
5. Adequate attachment points in the front and rear of the vehicle:
a. Acceptable forms of attachment points: (All Items must be mounted in a manner to provide adequate strength and integrity)
b. Tow hooks of OEM or greater integrity
c. D-Rings
d. Shackle/Clevis
6. 20ft 10,000lb snatch strap without any metal hooks
7. Secured battery (no bungee cords)

I have several fire extinquishers to throw in, no problem...spare tire can ride in the back seat- 33' x 12.5 won't fit on rear door hanger...
Skinny Pete bumper systems totally secured direct to rail with 2" reciever front and rear, easy enough to throw a tow hitch in and I have clevis's to throw on the front shackle mounts.
I have a half dozen 2" x 20' x 20,000# tow straps (all sewn, no metal) for sale if anyone needs one-couldn't find anything around that met the specs so we had them made up for us and bought extras.
Battery is in stock hold down bracket...
Xenon flares are flexible and won't break off...
did I miss anything?
Don't have a winch-no $$ to buy one-spent all my money building up son's XJ and getting SkinnyPete off the ground....
oh yeah, better restock the first aid kit and throw that in...kid working for me is accident prone and has wiped it out...LOL
seatbelts are all stock and one for every passenger.
CD player is loaded with Blue Man Group, Jethro Tull, some Celtic, maybe I'll throw in some Cat Stevens for woods music....LOL
now have to see if I can take the day off from the homerepair and slide down!
Gas will probably be $3.00 per gallon by sunday...

Grizzley said:
Hey! They're right next to each other on the keyboard. Besides, they're all SWB's! :laugh3:
True dat, see ya sunday G.

if you have not signed up on the other thread i am not accounting for you. and you will not get any notifications.

i am closing this to any new attendees (any one i havent already talked to) at this point the group is pretty large and its hard to get a train that long around without losing someone or obstructing traffic.

i will be running with a CB and hand-held FRS radios, if you have either or both please bring them.

think ahead and bring a bunch of quarters for "air-up" time too. around here the quickie-marts charge for air. (unless you have OBA)

i want to thank everyone who came out. derek's trail fix went pretty quick and we were on the trail again. after we got him turned around and limping back out we finished the first trail and met up with them again and hit the 2nd trail. got off the last trail just in time for the heaviest downpour i've seen in years. thanks again everyone! see you at the "Madness" in a few weeks. for the rest of you, let's get those equipment requirements covered and come have fun with us!

Back