• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY AUGUST 14 western Ma trail run

nevermind my last comment mike, but yiu will be able to "eyeball" it alot at the jambo

sidriptide said:
since you are the lowest rig on the run at this point my concern is to not overwhelm you with something you arent ready for.
Thanks for the confidence booster Mike

robz95xj said:
Thanks for the confidence booster Mike

playing it safe.. i havent wheeled with any of you guys before. i cant vouch for your experience and what you would consider "too difficult" (F it. i'll just quit worrying about it and hope you all keep up :gag: )

sidriptide said:
playing it safe.. i havent wheeled with any of you guys before. i cant vouch for your experience and what you would consider "too difficult" (F it. i'll just quit worrying about it and hope you all keep up :gag: )
hey Mike well talk more about it at the jambo, just dont forget the tire carrier.

Trimmed my rear fenders today as much as possible. (1.5"-2"). Followed the write ups to the "T" and it was suprisingly easier then i thought and came out good. Removed my rear sway while i was back there as well and tomorrow im gonna go test the new articulation!! Im gonna home fab the front disconnects and just go get wing nuts and remove them when i get there because like i said, money is tight!! Im buying all my steel this weekend and welding all next week. I may still have to fabricate the tow hook bracket and just weld it to the frame for added strength with the bolts then weld some more until its gotta be workable!! All i care about is that if i do get stuck, you guys can yank me out somehow so this should work for now with all the effort that im putting foward!!
I believe it will be a good time and a good learning experience for myself as well so count me in!!

Well im out guys, no tow points plus got some funky sounds coming from the rear end

BIG-G said:
You still have 2 weeks to fix the funky sound & get tow points!
pinion bearing aint cheap to replace plus the 4 wheel jambo is next week wich is top priority 4 me.

If I can get my schedule cleared up I'd like to try to make it to this run. I think I've got most (if not all) of the required equipment already. If possible could I get a PM of the details. I can PM you my rigs stats if you need them. The only thing I know I need to do before then is finally install my skids. I've got a stock Tcase and a homemade gas tank skid waiting to get bolted on...

robz95xj said:
pinion bearing aint cheap to replace plus the 4 wheel jambo is next week wich is top priority 4 me.

OOh well then my best of luck 2 u cause i understand the time crunch with a thin wallet!!

Hey if i go get a stock t-case skid from the scrap yard, will it hold up on the trail ontop of the fact that i will weld up some extra steel bars around it as well ????

this isnt a really "hard core" run.. just not dusty dirt roads. you can never have too many skids so if you can get em on go for it. but skids are not required equipment.

sidriptide said:
this isnt a really "hard core" run.. just not dusty dirt roads. you can never have too many skids so if you can get em on go for it. but skids are not required equipment.

Sid, did u get my email?? W/B!!

After 3 junk yards and dozens of XJ's i found one pair of rusted bent up brackets that werent worth a penny. I did however pick up a t-case skid for $15 bucks. I have to say that after looking at the bracketry i cant see how you guys make it such a big part to have when its NOT that big of a piece of bracket.
To please you guys i did contact someone to purchase the brackets and i'll put em on BUT i just dont get it when i can build a way stronger, thicker steel, longer, wider, "L" shape the frame, more taped grade 8 bolts in strengthened spots, ETC>>>> but thats just my opinion. I like to go nuts with the welder and id just use the bracket to hold the hooks but i know im gonna eventually gonna wanna weld way more steel to that bracket, spread the weight out further, weld some more, tap in those bolts and i bet i can get a crane to pick my XJ up in the air by the hooks and stand underneath it when im done!!!
OK now go ahead and start the antics but bottom line is that i got the dam brackets and hooks for the trail run on the 14th.
Big-G

"to please you guys"??? i think YOU would be more pleased that when you get stuck, them guys have a way to pull you out! or just wrap a winch cable around the stock bumper....
pokinit.gif

mack said:
"to please you guys"??? i think YOU would be more pleased that when you get stuck, them guys have a way to pull you out! or just wrap a winch cable around the stock bumper....
pokinit.gif

YES I KNOW AND 100% AGREE WITH YOU. I can tell that these guys are only looking out for my best interest and dont wanna see my front end rip off!! I also know that once on the trail, they will help me as much as possible because we are all there to have fun and enjoy our toys we built.

It just sucks when the wallets empty and the welders full!! Either or i will be showing up and i will have some nice home made armor and re-inforced tow points. I will have the class 3 hitch with the 2" shackle for the rear and im getting the brackets for the front as well. I will still see if i can run my bumper with it all and touch up some stuff with the welder. I will have t-case skid stock but customed for better protection, rock sliders out of smitty step bars that will impress, and anything else i can think of to weld some steel around!!

Please have faith in Big-G cause im tryin like hell to meet tech specs but at the same time, i need to comfort myself that i come home with a 100% damage free daily driver!!

Thanks everyone for all your input and support and i respect you all for replying to help!!!

Big-G

i know man, i drive mine every day too, like sidriptide said, these trails are not that "hardcore", i've ran them both a few times, as long as you wheel smart, you'll be fine...:cheers:

Back