• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock XJ winch

I dont think so bc we discovered that Ramsey actually built a specific series of winches that can pull from the feet. My winch actually failed and I believe its way of mounting was part of the contributing factor. This could be done with conventunal winches if you were to reverse the mounting of the winch other wise I believe you will have the same problem I had. Winch failure.

Thanks for the reply, I ran across this thread and like every one else thought it was a cool idea. I like the cleanness of it. I would not use the winch that much. Maybe once a year if that. and did not want to put a Billy bad a** bumper on it . I kinda favor the stock look, but Im looking into options befor I do anything.

Thanks again, Pugsley

*picks up thread, blows dust off of it* I saw this thread awhile ago. Just recently I've came up with this idea.

Instead of buying a winch bumper[$600], or a front hitch and using a winch receiver insert, I've come with with this. It basicly mounts the same way my tow hooks mount to the unibody.
Probably make it out of 1/4inch thick steel. With the cross peices going through the side pieces, i should be able to use my little mig[lincoln 100] to weld it all together. If i dont think my mig will be able to do it, there is a fab shop in my nieghborhood that could weld it up. Since the metal surround the cross pieces will take all the force of the pulling, and not the welds. The welds will be there to basiclly hold the cross peices to the side pieces. Running a bead completely around the L shaped cross pieces and along where the cross pieces touch eachother...
Mount the winch in the center, and then 1 tow hook on either side.
This will keep the winch tucked close to the grill. I'd end up losing my ghetto fab bumper, but thats ok.

Side, Front, and top view.
Winchmount2.jpg

Comments? suggestions?

Last edited:
This is from a guy in the Denver area. Notice that the bumper doesn't extend any furhter than stock. I've seen this done a few times (not in person). You need to cut into the front member to tuck the winch in place. If you think about it, a mounting plate would resume any rigidity that you lost.

1137373760_uploadpixels.com_hidden_winch_full.jpg

1137373778_uploadpixels.com_hidden_winch_zoom.jpg

I snagged these pics from a member of www.colorado4x4.org. The pics were from a Denver M&G at the Colorado Mills mall in Lakewood, CO. I didn't attend, and I have no idea who owns the rig. If you are looking for more pics, perhaps post a "who's rig is this" thread over there...

This is the other set of pics that came to mind, when thinking about cutting the front member. Not a stock bumper, but the winch is recessed enough to work with a factory bumper. Username REDBULL on www.colorado4x4.org

1137375889_uploadpixels.com_REDBULL_winch2.jpg

1137375917_uploadpixels.com_REDBULL_winch5.jpg

1137375989_uploadpixels.com_REDBULL_winch7.jpg

I also ran across these pics the other day...

1137376026_uploadpixels.com_xj_CA7553BH_01.jpg

1137376100_uploadpixels.com_xj_CA7553BH_03.jpg

Sorry to revive an old post, Ghost could you make one of those brackets for between the frame rails? I have a Ramsey winch to go in there, just need the bucket to mount the winch. Thanks

Jeff

i was wondering, i have been looking a t a lot of front bumper mounts today, and none of the stock ones you all show look like mine.

mine have a long extension that ties into the uni-rails like a foot or so back... anyone know what this is?

i will try and get pics tomorrow.

oh, it is on an '87 XJ waggy with factory tow package

radardog said:
i was wondering, i have been looking a t a lot of front bumper mounts today, and none of the stock ones you all show look like mine.

mine have a long extension that ties into the uni-rails like a foot or so back... anyone know what this is?

i will try and get pics tomorrow.

oh, it is on an '87 XJ waggy with factory tow package

That sounds like the bracket for tow hooks. Is it between the framerail and the stock, 3-hole bumper bracket?

I know I just revived a very old thread :twak: . But this has been passed around from site to site and has a lot of info on this.

My question is ;
Is there anything wrong with running/mounting the winch like this . Id like to build this but not if its gonna burn my winch up prematurely .

Back