• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock XJ winch

These are the brackets that extend the bumper out enough to allow for the winch to fit behind it. The bracket on the left is a stock bumper attaching bracket.
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Notice the tow hook mount on the bottom of the bracket. I tore one of these mounts off when I hit a rock on the first set of bracket I had. The mount isn't that strong and could use some reinforcement. These brackets were replacements that I got used.

Last edited:
Finally, these are the small brackets that hold on the small fascia filler strips. The plastic strips were damage when my nephew wrecked the Jeep and were subsequently thrown away. I guess you will just have to use your imagination on how to make them.

standard.jpg

The bumper itself needs to be cut on the backside to allow the winch to fit. There also needs to be a slot cut in the front of the bumper to allow for the fairlead attachment and to allow the cable to run through.

Hopefully this helps anyone who would like to make their own kit. It really is a very simple set-up. I will contact those that sent me a PM in a day or 2.

Bryan

Bryan C. said:
Here are the bolts that attach the winch to the bracket. The bracket sits flush up against the frame so the bolts are countersunk.
standard.jpg

So the bolts go through the bracket into the winch? That looks like an easy kit to make to me.

The photos you have posted are slightly different from what is in my FSM.

Those illustrations might not be too accurate for this application, though. Considering there may have been many different designs employed, I suggest an amalgamation.

You really do have to "squint" at the FSM diagram to see how it works..

If anyone want to see it, PM me yer Fax Nummah..

I have the factory kit installation instuctions. This weekend when one of the kids is around, I'll scan it and see if I can get it posted(I'm a generation behind on this computer stuff).

For Bryan C.:

Thanks for the pictures, I've been looking for a way to install my Ramsey REP 8000 without using a winch bumper, buying one from US and having it shipped to Greece would cost a fortune.

For all others who have FSM or whatever on this subject:

Can you please scan and post here whatever you have? I can give you a fax number, but faxing to Greece should be expensive for you. I would have to create everything from scratch here, so I need all the help I can get. I already have Rusty's tow hooks, so I have some brackets I can modify to mount on the frame rails, but the rest of the parts will have to be fabricated from scratch. Any help would be really appreciated.

For whoever started this thread:

Many thanks for bringing this up, you saved me about 1200 US$.

Kind regards
----------
John SV1CEC

any specs you have would be wonderful I like this mount better then a heavy bumper or a recever mount but im new to fab and mesurments would help.

now wouldent it have been nice if every xj had just come stock with winch the way a jeep should :)

I picked up some 2x2 angle yesterday at lunch. I'm going to try and build this and test it as soon as pissiable. It will be different but a lot like what is here. I'll keep you guys posted.

Bryan C. thanks for the pictures and measurements, that is what I needed to get started. :party:

Last edited:
How it actualy got me interested is seing the small pacture in my '85 oqwners manual next to the brush guard in the options section. and after i got a set of Mopar hooks sent to me I could clearly tell that the bumper coupld be pushed forward to accomadate a winch.

But I procrastonated and now have an old Warn bumper for my 93 and picked up a pre 97 ARB for my '99 so I would no longer need the factory winch set up.

just strange that I had never seen one before and asked about it.
Cool guys, Rock on! :guitar:

It seems like the pieces are the winch tray and the extended bumper brackets and the 4 angled pieces. Doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to fab up something similar.

Thanks for the pics Bryan. Could you post a pic that has all the parts in it?

Last edited:
karstic said:
It seems like the pieces are the winch tray and the extended bumper brackets and the 4 angled pieces. Doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to fab up something similar.

Thanks for the pics Bryan. Could you post a pic that has all the parts in it?

I was going to ask for more pictures, too.

Can I use the OEM Tow Hook brackets.. I just need to move them forward one hole, then bolt that 2" angle tray to the remaining holes, right...?

Does the winch go into the tray 1st..?

What's the general order of operations for this assembly..?

Oh.. and who bought the eBay XJ that started this whole thing..? Anyone here..?

Last edited:
Gald I could help out those who want to make the kit themselves. Let me know what you would like pictures of and I'll see what I can do. Be specific please. Basically, the side extension bracket can be made whatever length you need to clear your winch. I used a Ramsey REP 8000 winch and found that I didn't have quite enough space for the larger winch. I had to elongate all the bumper bracket holes and extend it out about 1/2" more to fit it. The kit was made to fit a 6000# low profile winch. The small angle brackets are used to hold on the fascia filler strips, there was somewhere aound 12 of them in the kit. They just attach to the bumper and hold the strips in place, these also are used to resecure the "air dam" under the bumper as the 3 mounting tabs and screws will need to be moved to mount the winch tray. Hopefully someone will post the installation instructions so you all can se the steps needed to install it.

Attach the winch to the tray. Attach the tray to the frame using 7/16 nuts and bolts through the extension brackets. Then bolt the stock bumper and brackets to the extensions. Remember that the bumper itself will require some cutting to allow the winch to fit inside, not to mention you need to cut a slot for the cable to run through. I do remember the instructions saying that it will not work if you have a factory trans cooler mounted in the stock location. The mounting brackets for the cooler attach to where the winch tray will mount. Some modifications and some trial and error are needed to make it all work. I never took any pics of it in the Jeep so maybe someone can post them up if they have them.

Bryan

Bryan C. said:
Gald I could help out those who want to make the kit themselves. Let me know what you would like pictures of and I'll see what I can do. Be specific please. Basically, the side extension bracket can be made whatever length you need to clear your winch. I used a Ramsey REP 8000 winch and found that I didn't have quite enough space for the larger winch. I had to elongate all the bumper bracket holes and extend it out about 1/2" more to fit it.

Bryan

I would like to see some pictures of the base assembled with the frame mounts, to better understand how they go. I haven't checked that area of my old heep for long time, I'll have a look today, but an assembled view with some close-ups would be helpful.

Tnx Bryan.

Ghost, keep us posted.

Rgds
----------
John SV1CEC

More pics for those interested.

This shows the extension bracket and the stock bumper mount bracket. The extension bracket mounts in place of the original, then the original bracket mounts to it.

standard.jpg

The bracket positions when attached to the winch tray.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Hopefully you can see hoe the brackets are positioned. The winch tray goes in between the frame rais up against the header panel. The brackets mount on the outside of the frame with the bolts running through the bracket, frame, and winch tray. The stock bumper brackets then mount to the extension bracket only. A factory tow hook bracket may not work due to the bracket being mounted further out than the original position.

I have sold the mounting brackets and will be shipping them out tomorrow, so I won't be able to post any more pics. Hopefully these will be enough to get those started on making their own mounts. Maybe those people can post pics of their own to see how they were able to build it.

Bryan

Edit: I just noticed on the last 2 pics that the stock bumper pracket were on upside down. Oops. The first 2 pics are correct.

Ghost said:
I picked up some 2x2 angle yesterday at lunch. I'm going to try and build this and test it as soon as pissiable. It will be different but a lot like what is here. I'll keep you guys posted.

Bryan C. thanks for the pictures and measurements, that is what I needed to get started. :party:

Ghost did you get anywhere with this?

Yes i have a winch mounted and a front plate built. I am in AL right now. Hopefully I will get some images soon for you. Due back in SC Friday. If you want measurments I'll get them when I get back.

Back