• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steel carport/shortage building rust

jelrod

NAXJA Forum User
It's not a garage but, it's pretty close. What can I do about the rust on the roof? You can see in the fourth pick that the rust has not made it through to the ceiling side. How can I stop and/or remove the rust? Thanks for your help.

Looks like theres not too much that you couldnt physically remove all the existing rust with a wire wheel on a drill, and re-paint.... but i would be calling the manufacturer, thats why you buy stuff like this from a reputable manufacturer. Maybe they know exactly what works.

Im tempted to recommend POR15, but ive never used those rust converter paints.

Looks like theres not too much that you couldnt physically remove all the existing rust with a wire wheel on a drill, and re-paint.... but i would be calling the manufacturer, thats why you buy stuff like this from a reputable manufacturer. Maybe they know exactly what works.

Im tempted to recommend POR15, but ive never used those rust converter paints.

The carport was here when we bought the house last year. I have no clue who the manufacturer is. You would think they would want to put their name on it somewhere but, no.

Is it just that one row of rust? Kinda odd how its in a perfect row, and only there.

TO ME, it looks like an easy 2-3 hour, 2 or 3 wire wheel and 2 or 3 cans of spray paint job. A wire wheel cup for a grinder will make short work of that. I would pay EXTRA attention to prep, make sure whatever you paint it with sticks for good!

If the rust comes back, you either didnt prep good enough, or more application specific paint is required. Either way, nows the best time to take care of it!

wire wheel, spray rust inhibiter and then paint, the rust inhibiter will stop any rust that wasnt removed by the wire wheel, or if cost is not a big deal you could POR 15 it

Is it just that one row of rust? Kinda odd how its in a perfect row, and only there.

There's 3 rows like that. The row in the pic is near the back. There's another row of rust in the middle and another near the front. The three rows of rust are all in low spots on the roof. The only way I can think to discribe the look of the roof is "wavey".

Thanks for the help. I think I am going to wire wheel it, rust inhibiter, and spray bomb.

If it were me I would rent a pressure washer and blast everything loose off of it, then coat it with Rustoleum Rust reformer, and then paint the following day. Since that isn't rot, rust reformer will stop it just fine. The amount of prep work required for POR 15 to work is excessive and would be super tedious on an area that large. Maybe, I'm the only one, but I have never been impressed with POR.

Write "Jeep" on the side of it and it will stop rusting.:)

Back