• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So I'm looking for an off-road GPS...

WrenchMonkey

NAXJA Member #771
NAXJA Member
First, I know exactly squat about modern GPS units. That said, what I don't need: I don't need a turn by turn voice command to help me find the grocery store, thank you very much.

What I'd like is to be able to map offroad trails. Ideally, I'd like to turn it on as I pull off the trailer, let it record my movements all day, then (and this may be the kicker) download the resulting squiggles to my laptop.

An external antenna would probably be a good idea, but I don't know if it'd be entirely necessary.

Does anybody make such a thing?

Can anybody recommend one?

Thanks!
Robert

Pretty much any GPS except the ones built for around town will do exactly what you want.

I use a hand held Garmin 60CSX and it will do exactly what you are asking for.

Screen size is the next question. What are you looking for there?

Pretty much any GPS except the ones built for around town will do exactly what you want.

I use a hand held Garmin 60CSX and it will do exactly what you are asking for.

Screen size is the next question. What are you looking for there?

Guy on a local board recommended that exact model.

My first answer to "screen size?" is "cheap." My thought was that if I'm only using it as a recorder, I don't really need to see what it's doing at all.

But really, if I'm going to go to all the bother of making the map, it would be nice to see where I'm at on it.

How much does screen size affect price? I'm still leaning toward "cheap," but you've at least got me thinking about it. How much nicer is a bigger screen?

I don't even know what the cheap-to-bling screen size range is...

Thanks for edjumacating me...

Robert

I have that model. It works great for things like geocaching and it works reasonably well in a car. The biggest downfall is the screen size. It's hard to see if you don't have it close to your nose.

Right now I am looking at buying one of Garmin's vehicle units. Some of the higher end ones will allow you to do turn by turn routing even off road with their higher end 24K Topo programs. Of course like anything, the more bells and whistles, the higher the cost.

If all you really are interested in is the ability to record I wouldn't spend a ton of money. A $100 dollar E-trex would probably do everything you could want.

Anyone use any of the Garmin Chartplotter GPS's? I know they are boat specific but I am thinking they would work similar to the lowrance if you uploaded the garmin topo maps to it

I got a 60CSX... haven't gotten a chance to use it yet, but its pretty neat.

Also check out the Delorme PN40. Nice hand held unit, with full topo and plat map for excellent off road capability, along with street capabilities. The car kit includes everything you need to hook up in your rig. I've got the PN20 (previous model to the PN40), and it has served me very well....

I use a Garmin Etrex Vista.

There are topo maps available for all Gamrins.
Thats a realy big advantage.
Another, the Etrex models are water proof, dust proof and the display is very good to read in bright sun.

if you are looking for cheap check out the older magellan sporttrak units. you can find them very cheap. water proof. can have topo.

After owning several Magellans and trying to deal with their customer service, I will no longer recommend them to anyone. They BY FAR have the worst customer service out there. Also their computer interface sucks. Garmin just kicks their butts in every way.

I use a G-60CSx also. Screen size kind of sucks, but it's usable. Other then that, it works great. No need for a remote antenna.
One piece of advice, Garmin specific: when(not if, you will want them.)you go to buy topo maps, get the CD, not the chip. The chips are about $100, CDs about $120. The CD has maps covering twice the area of the chip, and you can custom load just the maps you want to use. That doesn't appear to be a feature included with the chip.(at least I haven't been able to unlock the one I bought)

One other minor complaint: The 60CSx can only use a 2GB chip. Put a 4 or 8GB chip in, and it only recognizes 2GB. A non-issue unless you try to load all the topos for 2 or 3 states on one chip.

the 2GB limit at Garmin GPS ist not a problem!

The whole actual USA road map including lots of POIs is 1.7 GB.

The whole National Park West topo map is 300MB.
There is abselutely no need for bigger cars.

And the Garmin receivers are very sensitive.
I can walk around in my house while tracking the steps I do.
Customer service is not that good as it can be.
But they solved all problems I had.

Another vote in favour of the 60CSX. A bigger screen would be nice on it, but the advantage is that it is truly handheld and fits well in a side pocket on a backpack / day pack. Holds up to hard use well, too.

I have had a 60CSX for about a year now but haven't really gotten to use it much. Where is the best place to buy maps? Would like a topo and maybe a US map just for road trips and such? Thanks for any info

I have had a 60CSX for about a year now but haven't really gotten to use it much. Where is the best place to buy maps? Would like a topo and maybe a US map just for road trips and such? Thanks for any info

Amazon has some good prices on the Garmin maps; I bought the West coast 24k Topo there for about $75.

Get the topo for your region plus the US road map. About $150 and all you should "need"

Another vote in favour of the 60CSX. A bigger screen would be nice on it, but the advantage is that it is truly handheld and fits well in a side pocket on a backpack / day pack. Holds up to hard use well, too.

I've been wondering if there's a way to add an aux screen to it through one of the ports.

I've been wondering if there's a way to add an aux screen to it through one of the ports.

Not that I'm aware of. The round 4-pin connector on the back is the classic Garmin external antenna / power / serial connector, and the mini-USB port doesn't support video out. About your best bet would be to use it to drive GPS-capable mapping software on a laptop via USB, but at that point you're basically turning your $250 handheld GPS into a $50 external GPS receiver.

For handheld use the screen size hasn't been an issue, and it's been usable (if not the greatest) for doing turn-by-turn navigation on-road, but I keep it set in text mode for that rather than using the graphic display - I've found that it's easier to pick up on what it's telling me to do, and gives some look-ahead since it shows you the three or four turns coming up after your next one at the same time.

Last edited:
Back