• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

snow run

You won't be able to go very far up Pilchuck. The lower gates are closed on the main road.
The back roads the gates are closed just a mile or so above the snow line.

You might want to try something more like Jack's Pass area, Old Hwy 2 or other alternative.

Michael

well it turns out that pilchuck was open and well it was full of high way wheelers and a lot of people walking and sledding so we spent more time waiting then we did wheeling but still was fun got to do it again pics later

rabbit said:
well it turns out that pilchuck was open and well it was full of high way wheelers and a lot of people walking and sledding so we spent more time waiting then we did wheeling but still was fun got to do it again pics later

Mount Pilchuck?? Off the Mountain Loop Highway? It is closed at the Heather Lake trail head. Today. Last week. Etc. The Mountain Loop Highway is closed at Deer Creek Road. Did you head up the Ashland Lakes road? Or possibly up Deer Creek Road?

The Snohomish County Sheriffs Dept. Closed these roads "early" this year due to concerns about people getting stuck and the Forest Service having curtailed personnel coverage in the area.

Metal Thrasher said:
The Snohomish County Sheriffs Dept. Closed these roads "early" this year due to concerns about people getting stuck and the Forest Service having curtailed personnel coverage in the area.

FS was all over the place a couple weeks ago out beyond Greenwater. Of course, everyone else was up going for Christmas trees. :doh: We didn't find too much snow...maybe 18" at the end of our road. Was pretty cool up there and ended up doing a photo shoot at the end for a friend's family. :D

'Twas where I got my avatar. :)

237726239-L.jpg

ECKSJAY said:
FS was all over the place a couple weeks ago out beyond Greenwater. Of course, everyone else was up going for Christmas trees. :doh:

In Snohomish County the Sheriff's Dept. have USFS stickers on the back of their SUVs and have been authorized to enforce USFS policy to some degree. I don't think they are Federal Law officers like the USFS Level 9 officers are but I'm sure they have the privilige to enforce the basics. The Verlot station on the Mtn. Loop Hiway is closed until March meaning that any Forest Service personnel need to come from the Darrington area.

Metal Thrasher said:
In Snohomish County the Sheriff's Dept. have USFS stickers on the back of their SUVs and have been authorized to enforce USFS policy to some degree. I don't think they are Federal Law officers like the USFS Level 9 officers are but I'm sure they have the privilige to enforce the basics. The Verlot station on the Mtn. Loop Hiway is closed until March meaning that any Forest Service personnel need to come from the Darrington area.

Ah, gotcha. I haven't paid much attention to the Sheriff's rigs down this way, but I know they work together a lot. WSP, too. I've seen where a guy who had been drinking lost control on the ice and put a couple of vehicles in a ditch...and the FS called WSP to come haul him off. (heh, that turd had been up shooting and was trying pawn his guns off to us...farkin' drunk turd, they should have just buried him there). In the case of the last trip out, FS was on scene of a rollover where some dunce in a work van (with chains on the rear tires) slid over the edge and was sideways about 10ft down. Also on scene was a Pierce County deputy waiting for a rather large tow truck. :D

Metal Thrasher said:
Mount Pilchuck?? Off the Mountain Loop Highway? It is closed at the Heather Lake trail head. Today. Last week. Etc. The Mountain Loop Highway is closed at Deer Creek Road. Did you head up the Ashland Lakes road? Or possibly up Deer Creek Road?

The question still remains? Where were you on Pilchuck because it is gated not far from the bottom. There are other "trails" but many of them are also closed.

Michael

talk with the guy who took us up and well he said it was mt pilchuck road and yes there is a gate but it was open and talk with the sheriff and all he said was be safe and that there is a lot of crazy people up there .

Glad you guys had a good time.
Michael

Back