• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

slickrock and other trails this weekend?

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
i was thinking about running slickrock this weekend.
is it going to be a parking lot on the trail cuz the holiday weekend or just normal traffic for a weekend?
just trying to figure out. also, any good places to camp out there if the usual place on the trail is taken?
like head up deer valley and camp up there somewhere?

Camping as in campgrounds? Theres 2 campgrounds right next to slick rock... one on each side. Theres some camping in Pacific Valley, Misquito lake, and Hermit Valley too.

I wish I could come out there and run it with whoever comes... but im set on hollister.

well as for camping i mean like on a trail close by. not really the lake alpine or the hermit valley i know of those as backup plans.
anyway, is anyone familiar with boards crossing?
im trying to find out where its at ?
i have a forest service topo map on hand of the area as well as searching the hell outta the internet.
trying to figure it out.

well as for camping i mean like on a trail close by. not really the lake alpine or the hermit valley i know of those as backup plans.
i have a forest service topo map on hand of the area as well as searching the hell outta the internet.
trying to figure it out.

Never heard of it but I have plenty of maps if you have a decent idea. Do you know if the trail marked?

Josh

im sure its marked i just cant find out road number.
on my ranger topo map it has the sourgrass and boards crossing on the map. i can find like one site for it. its jsut past dorrington i guess.
i already looked at your website for it josh, that site is very useful , i use it alot. i just wanted to hit this trail up on the way up to slick rock, i figured we can run this, then slickrock, then maybe deer valley on saturday, then just camp whereever we are when five o clock hits

I went to Boards Crossing a few years ago. I didn't take many pictures that weekend on my link. It is off of Boards Crossing Rd. past Sourgrass from what I remember. It is one of the oldest campgrounds in the Western US

Boards Crossing

It looks like I may camp at Philbrook and go riding around in the High Lakes area.

I know Boards Crossing really well actually...

My family used to camp up the road a bit further at Beaver Creek till Sierra Pacific Industries decided they didn't want anyone camping there anymore.

Anyways you could camp at Sourgrass or go up the road a bit further and camp at Boards Crossing.

As for me, I may be heading to Prairie City this weekend...gotta get some wrenching in before then though...

Ill be at slickrock with a few other jeeps on saturday. We should be at the trail head (utica res. side) around 10:30 11am you are most welcome to join us. Boards crossing is just a paved road. Take it from Dorrington on hwy4 to sourgrass which is at the stanislous river( go over the bridge and its on your left). The trailhead is in the back behind the bathrooms. It ends in kind of a marshy area, turn around and take the trail back out. There is a campground about 1/4mile in on the trail. The trail is not very long at all, about 2 miles and pretty easy.

Last edited:
trying to figure it out.

We run Boards Crossing twice a year - once in fall and once in Spring. It's just past Arnold on Hwy 4. Highly recommended for camping. It takes about 30 minutes to wheel into the back campsites. Well worth it. I'll find you directions and post back. The drive up to Slickrock is probably 45 minutes from Hwy 4 and Boards Crossing.

Edit: I'll get better info today. But this gets you within 100 feet of the trail head.
From Hwy 4, you turn right onto Boards Crossing Rd. This is in the town of Dorrington (just past Arnold). On the corner there is a Dorring Realty company (just given for a landmark). Follow Boards Crossing Rd (there are a few signs for picknicking and camping areas) for a few miles and it will parallel the Stanislaus river. Immediately after you it crosses the river, on the left side there is a small rest area with toilet. The trail that goes back to the campgrounds is right next to the toilets. You cannot miss it. If you go to Yahoo maps - follow Boards Crossing from Hwy 4. The toilet area is right at the split of Boards Crossing and NF-5N02. Looking at the Yahoo map - there is a dirt clearing on both sides of the river.

Last edited:
dudes, you guys are totally awesome.
i cant wait to check it out. i just wanted to run the trail on the way up to click rock to try something different and soemthing new. we might even get the chance to run deer valley

so jeepme is just a dirt road? im confused? (jeep me?) "Boards crossing is just a paved road."-jeepme
"It takes about 30 minutes to wheel into the back campsites"-the weirdo
so there is wheeling

so do you mean boards crossing itself is a dirt road and the trail starts after that, so there is some wheeling though, right?
just making sure

Boards Crossing is a paved road. The trail back to the campsites from Boards Crossing requires 4wd (but easily do-able by stock vehicles) and is a fun easy trail. It takes about 30-60 minutes to wheel to the good campsites depending on how well you know the trail and how fast you are going.

Edit: Check out any photo album in here that is called "Pine Needles". That is what we call Boards Crossing in our group - mainly due to all the pine needles: http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa116/wickedtl/
99% of the pics in the "Pine Needles" folders are from Boards Crossing, but some are from Slickrock (pics with snow of the ground).

Last edited:
weirdo, thank you alot man, ive been curious about this trial for a long time. the only trail ive ever ran on hwy 4 is slickrock, i grew up as a kid calling it hells kitchen though, so i always knew it as hells kitchen...anyway, ill be happy to check out pine needles trail!

Boards Crossing is a paved road. The trail back to the campsites from Boards Crossing requires 4wd (but easily do-able by stock vehicles) and is a fun easy trail. It takes about 30-60 minutes to wheel to the good campsites depending on how well you know the trail and how fast you are going.

Edit: Check out any photo album in here that is called "Pine Needles". That is what we call Boards Crossing in our group - mainly due to all the pine needles: http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa116/wickedtl/
99% of the pics in the "Pine Needles" folders are from Boards Crossing, but some are from Slickrock (pics with snow of the ground).

Ya what he said :laugh3:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa116/wickedtl/Pine%20Needles%2005_08/22.jpg

whos kitchen is that?
not the foldup table, i have one of those, but the kitchen in the background? what brand and hw much?
how compact is it? also are the lanterns just on trees on main propane tanks or are they on the kitchen too?

I don't know who makes the kitchen sets because we found 2 of them at a garage sale. I'll look for some markings later tonight. They fold up to about 3" thick and approx 4' x 2'. They are pretty handy. I believe every lantern we use outside is on propane. The battery ones are in the tents.

Edit: Cabela's has two versions on sale for about $100 right now:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...h/search-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

Last edited:
slick rock was fun this weekend. didnt even get to the trail head until like 2pm ran it in and out and then drove back around along spicer damn road and wheeled back into the south side sat and camped near the creek in the south side.
no time for boards crossing but ill try that in the next few weeks.

prob gonna do a boards crossing run/maybe slick rock again/ maybe strawberry on the way up/ run not this weekend but the next. prob be sat night thru monday morning.

ok so gonna check out boards crossing tomorrow.
i hope there is at least some wheeling required, i wont see any foo-foo 4x4's back in there will i? i mean its not a totally easy trail is it? i have to put it in 4lo at least for a minute hopefully? i think we might run slickrock again on sunday

Back