• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SierraFest Rubicon Trip Report

That thar was a nice sequence of photos...you managed to get those rigs almost on the same exact rock/location...nice!

I was trying to get everybdy in the same spot since that was one of the few times I was at the head of the pack, but you and Mike were too quick for me. If you look at the cracks in the slab you can see I was moving into position in the first 2 and then found a happy spot for the rest..

Day three was spent camped out at Buck Island Lake. Promises were made to "not turn a key" all day and so far as I know all those promises were kept. Not that anyone was in the mood to go wheeling after our all day search for the elusive tunnel.

Our hike started out along the back side of Buck Island Lake
100_0766.jpg

And continued past Rock Bound Lake
100_0769.jpg

The guys taking a break lakeside for a bit
100_0770.jpg

Jazzy taking a break, or maybe it was a drink, or maybe just cooling down those poor dogs
100_0771.jpg

The view from the above break spot was nice to look at while enjoying some shade. Too bad the mosquitoes liked the shade too and drove us out into the sunlight for the remainder of our break
100_0772.jpg

Some rare Rubicon Red Asparagus... just kidding, but this stuff has always fascinated me for some reason. Such an odd plant
100_0775.jpg

Eric and Dave at the nice, but not nearly as cool break spot
100_0777.jpg

Mike and Jazzy trying to find some shade anyways
100_0778.jpg

Onward! Time for more hiking...
100_0780.jpg

and more hiking...
100_0782.jpg

and more hiking... Anyone seen that tunnel?
100_0785.jpg

Kelly dropped his line in anything wet along the way
100_0783.jpg

Including this scenic bit of river
100_0784.jpg

continued...

Some advice for anyone who may happen to decide to go looking for the tunnel...

When you see this, walk down the hill toward it and look to your right. You are there!
100_0792.jpg

We (on the other hand) took the scenic route and walked an extra mile or two to get to the other side. I'd like to say we did so on purpose but no, we just didn't know where the heck we were going. Sadly, I have no pictures of the tunnel. I was there though, I swear!

The hike (for most of us) ended up at the water falls above Buck Island Lake. Absolutely amazing!
100_0794.jpg

100_0797.jpg

100_0798.jpg

100_0802.jpg

100_0803.jpg

100_0804.jpg

Home sweet home, back at camp at last!
100_0805.jpg

continued (maybe (that's for you Dave)) tomorrow...

Thanks for leading the way, Dave, Bryan and Eric. Great meeting you Art, Tony and Mike. Looking forward to the next outing. \000/

Sorry, been slacking off. Long week...

After a day of relaxation at Buck Island Lake, day four started with us breaking camp and parting ways with half the group. I was on the fence all the way up until that morning in regards to which group to go with, but finally decided to be selfish. I decided that seeing the rest of the trail would be well worth the extra day I'd be away from the family. After all, it's the RUBICON, right?

Eric led the way as we approached the major obstacle of the day, Big Sluice. No bypass to get around this one.

Dropping in
100_0807.jpg

100_0809.jpg

Through the easy part
100_0812.jpg

Then to that damn rock. Eric told us of his past history with this part of the Sluice. Line to the right of the tree/rock often resulted in some damage to the driver rear quarter. Line to the left often resulted in a broken rear pasenger window... After Eric, Kelly, and I suffered some minor paint/body damage taking the line to the right of the tree/rock, Mike and Art tried the left and made it through without any broken windows, not that Mike had to worry about that at this point in the trip...
100_0813.jpg

100_0815.jpg

100_0816.jpg

At the bottom we pulled off the trail to take a break and let some buggies pass.

Kelly firing up his see-gar
100_0817.jpg

The fellas hanging out
100_0818.jpg

We stopped again once we found some water at the bottom of the hill to let Jazzy get out for a bit. Poor dog was a trooper. Even after wearing some of her pads off on the previous day's hike, she just carried on, albeit a little slower that before.

Jazzy sporting her duct tape booties
100_0824.jpg

Lined up
100_0821.jpg

100_0823.jpg

100_0825.jpg

100_0826.jpg

100_0827.jpg

continued...

We continued on and after weaving through some trees and crossing a few wet spots, we reached the iconic green bridge.

Group shots
100_0829.jpg

100_0830.jpg

A couple individual shots of my rig
100_0831.jpg

100_0833.jpg

We continued on and quickly reached Rubicon Springs. While we initially balked at the $20 per vehicle camping fee, we had a chance to talk to the guy managing the property later on in the day and found out that the money actually gets put to good use.

Cliff Notes version of the story (as I remember it a couple of weeks later) is that the 400 acres of property through which this portion of the trail passes was originally owned by a lumber company. They sold it to PG&E who wanted the water rights for hydro electricity. That didn't work out so well for them so they sold it to another lumber company. That company decided to put it up for sale at which time the Forest Service expressed interest in buying it and shutting down the trail. A group of 16 folks got together, many of them from the surrounding area, and purchased the land in order to keep the trail open. As they are constantly hit with lawsuits from environmentalists that would like to see the trail closed, they collect money from trail users, campers, and event coordinators to put together a legal fund to fight back with.

He answered a bunch of other questions for us and updated us on the status of various legal battles revolving around other parts of the trail. Knowing what my money was going toward made me feel better about the $20. The huge pile of fire wood he dumped at our campsite made me feel even better still...

Camp at the "Dirty Dozen" camping area, named for the Dirty Dozen Off-Road Club that built a large BBQ/fire pit there (in case you were wondering why they called it that)
100_0834.jpg

Day five began with the sound of a helicopter sling loading in supplies for the Jamboree participants coming in for the weekend. We were getting out of there just in time!
000_0067.jpg

I was up early and went for a solo hike to the top of the granite ridge behind our campground, overlooking the Rubicon Springs valley
000_0069.jpg

000_0070.jpg

The valley on the other side of the ridge
000_0068.jpg

A small pond on top of the ridge
000_0072.jpg

We ate breakfast and got packed up again. Art headed out early, knowing we wouldn't be too far behind if he ran into trouble. My camera battery was dying and my memory card was full so I didn't get too many shots from Cadillac Hill. Kind of a shame as this ended up being one of my favorite parts of the whole trail. A wide variety of challenging obstacles and a lot of wooded areas made for a very enjoyable final day on the trail.

Kelly going for a nice little climb
000_0073.jpg

Me on the way up Cadillac Hill
000_0075.jpg

The remainder of the group at the overlook
000_0076.jpg

Mike & Jazzy --> Kelly --> Me (Tony) --> Eric
000_0077.jpg

We reached the Tahoe side staging area and it hit me that my adventure was coming to an end. While it was a relief to know that I had made it through in one piece, I was sad that it was over and that it was time to get back to reality.

The Rubicon did not disappoint, everything came together for a truly memorable run. Great group of guys with plenty of experience, perfect weather, nice campsites, amazing scenery, a beautiful hike, no major damage to the rig. Who could ask for anything more? Can't wait to do it again!

Thanks Letterman, it would be my pleasure. Nice to know I wasn't too much of a PITA for a first timer! :yelclap:

At the bottom we pulled off the trail to take a break and let some buggies pass.

There was a pretty built XJ-buggie-like-thing leading that group. Anyone get a pic of that?

Oh, and I got a bunch of pics to post.. but my home computer died cople days after I got back from the Con... so I will post them after I get my 'puter fixed.

Oh, and I got a bunch of pics to post.. but my home computer died cople days after I got back from the Con... so I will post them after I get my 'puter fixed.

Damn computers, I had to drop mine off at the computer shop right before I left for the trip! At least it was ready to go when I got back. Pics are always great, but I thought your itinerary back at post 50 was priceless... :laugh:

Back