• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sierrafest 13

I have used a Spartan up front for 3 years and dtove 70 miles a day for a year. No problems.
is there any difference between aussie and spartan?

spartan comes with a hardened cross pin, one of the weak points of a lunchbox. Id go with the spartan for that reason. I bought a hardened cross pin for my lunchbox.

good to know. chris has an aussie he said he might want to sell for a good price. if he decides to keep it ill get a spartan.

if he sells it to you many naxja vendors sell hardened cross pins for like 25$.

I have had 3 Aussie lockers in the front of three different rigs, never had a issue with the lockers, broke lots of other parts. :gag:

If you ask me hands down the best upgrade for any 4x4 is a front locker, you will pull up and not push into. A very easy install and for less then $300 new.

If you can get it used in good shape for less then new, go for it, any broken parts will show. Again I think the front locker is the best upgrade you can do.

Been mildly considering this trip for my first "big deal" outing in the 99 XJ. Listening to you guys is pumping me up enough to run it by my wife for consideration.. sounds like a blast!
The rig should be capable enough but I haven't been real offroading since my '75 CJ back in 75-80s in Montana.. yikes, I'm OLD! And never with anything but a stock rig. My sig line shows the goodies, best of all you'll notice Eric's diffs! Just have to get the compressor installed, some 33s to replace the 31s and maybe just remove the factory flares, trim some, set bumpstops and worry about aftermarket flares or tube flares (would love some advice on those) later on. That should get
me on (and off) the trail.
I'll keep watching the thread. Would be cool to bring the camper and drive the XJ both ways.
I'm not a Chapter member and and barely a NAXJA supporter (that could change) but it's not a requirement is it? We'd be coming on our own most likely so would have to lean on some experienced folks for guidance.. but don't want to be "that guy".

:patriot:

Last edited:
You should definetly go! All the guys in the chapter are crazy friendly and easy to wheel with, and its nice to be wheeling in a group of guys that all carry the same spares, tools, etc in case you didnt exactly bring that specific part....

Been mildly considering this trip for my first "big deal" outing in the 99 XJ. Listening to you guys is pumping me up enough to run it by my wife for consideration.. sounds like a blast!
The rig should be capable enough but I haven't been real offroading since my '75 CJ back in 75-80s in Montana.. yikes, I'm OLD! And never with anything but a stock rig. My sig line shows the goodies, best of all you'll notice Eric's diffs! Just have to get the compressor installed, some 33s to replace the 31s and maybe just remove the factory flares, trim some, set bumpstops and worry about aftermarket flares or tube flares (would love some advice on those) later on. That should get
I'll keep watching the thread. Would be cool to bring the camper and drive the XJ both ways.
I'm not a Chapter member and and barely a NAXJA supporter (that could change) but it's not a requirement is it? We'd be coming on our own most likely so would have to lean on some experienced folks for guidance.. but don't want to be "that guy".

don't just mildly think about going, make it a plan to go, you will be glad you did. we hit various trails from stocker friendly to fun for built rigs, but the real fun happens in camp when we all get together for bbq, raffles, & bs'ing around the campfire.
there is no way anyone can not say they had a blast at sierrafest. :party:

I ran it twice last year on 31's with just a few mods so you will be fine. Come on out, bring the wife, most of us are house broke, and join in the fun. You will not regret it.

:wave:

Glad to hear you might make it. These are perfect trails to help you get acqainted with your rig and you will see just how capable it is. Besides its not exactly the first time those axles have wheeled these trails. ;) And as already mentioned, the group of people here couldn't be more friendly.

Back